Trik Toys Voice Amp vs Rom/Fx

Depends on what you want to to do. If you want a true static burst after you talk then romfx or hyperdyne are the best investment. If you just want a amplified voice then I suggest an aker voice amp from me. You would need a good voice amp anyway with a hyperdyne and many romfx owners go for a powered amp along with it. The trik toy amp that I tested was just one of the $15 radio shack mini sound amplifiers that had been removed from the protective box that it comes with. The static burst comes from blowing in the mic.

Rumor has it there is a new static burst card on the way that will do what the hyperdyne and romfx will do but for half the price.

There are two things you are comparing here. A friend of mine had the triktoys amp, not impressive. It was not very loud and he got rid of it for an Aket. I have the trik toys sound card, very impressive. It is not $55 though.

I run the Aker amp with a Bolun wireless mic and the trik toys sound board added in. The static burst is very effective, very adjustable, and the random sounds plus blaster effect is an even better bonus.

So I can confirm TK6294's rumor, the trik toys sound board is real, it does the same stuff, and sounds darn good for a good value.

There are two things you are comparing here. A friend of mine had the triktoys amp, not impressive. It was not very loud and he got rid of it for an Aket. I have the trik toys sound card, very impressive. It is not $55 though.

I run the Aker amp with a Bolun wireless mic and the trik toys sound board added in. The static burst is very effective, very adjustable, and the random sounds plus blaster effect is an even better bonus.

So I can confirm TK6294's rumor, the trik toys sound board is real, it does the same stuff, and sounds darn good for a good value.

Rumor is for a new voice card from a new supplier (not trik toys).

I tried out the new trik toys card a few months ago. I promptly returned it for a refund. I think it cost about $130-$140.

I am glad to hear the Aker is working for you though...

My apologies, I misunderstood the post! What was wrong with the Triktoys when you tried it? I am in the same boat as Julie. I have never heard a hyperdyne in person. I do not like the way the trik toys is just a bare board, and for the price you'd think they could at least include the patch cord. However the burst mode works just fine, and sound better than just the amp.

My apologies, I misunderstood the post! What was wrong with the Triktoys when you tried it? I am in the same boat as Julie. I have never heard a hyperdyne in person. I do not like the way the trik toys is just a bare board, and for the price you'd think they could at least include the patch cord. However the burst mode works just fine, and sound better than just the amp.

Hmmm, I don't to say anything publicly that could be viewed as critical about someone's hard work. Someone's creation is like their child and nobody like to see their child put down in any way. It is all too easy to offend someone even if you mean well by the comments. But i will state some observations. I have tried all of the voice cards that i know that have been available in recent years (Trik, plector, TCI, hyperdyne, romFX) because a lot of aker amp buyers ask me for voice card reccomendations. They also ask about capability so i needed to try each in order to be able to answer. I have kept and used the RomFX and hyperdyne.

I agree that it stinks that the trik toy "voice card" does not come with a protective box. the romFX and the hyperdyne don't come with a protective box either. Makes one nervous when you spend $140-$200 on a piece of electronics that you cram inside your armor and wear around a hot event. I put both my RomFX and Hyperdyne in protective boxes. I also wired in sealed battery boxes after seeing posting about the trooper that had the battery acid burns.

The Trik Toy "voice card" i tested required the use of a powered microphone. I had to buy a separate microphone from Trik in order to use the card. The microphone was something that had been modified from a computer mic. It was not good mic in my opinion and i would have like to use something else but could not.

The static burst on the trik toy card that i tested was not random and had the same burst each time. it was a little loud in proportion to the voice amplification. At least that is what i remember about it. I like the hyperdyne and RomFX burst more because of the variety and because i felt they sounded better. Again totally my opinion.

In the end i did not want to use it (trik) because of the powered mic and my preference in static burst. I felt it was too expensive ($159 on trik website) for what it provided. Note, i also feel the hyperdyne and RomfX are too expensive for what they provide and for what i really want as a trooper. But they both work really well and it is expensive to design and build custom cards.

My ideal of a perfect Stormtrooper static burst Card is this:

•  
  • VOX or PTT (voice activation or push to talk)
  • At least 5 random static bursts (that sound authentic)
  • Protective box. Must be thinner then 1 inch so it can fit in armor
  • Simple or little adjustment needed (keep it simple)
  • Contained reliable battery pack and connection
  • Works with any type of Microphone, both wired and wireless
  • Use a powered voice amp
  • Most important---> less than $100

I think we will see a card that fits that description very soon.

Edited by TK6294

Hey Jimmy...

sry, i do not have read all posts, but how about with TK 501st VoiceAmp Creations?!?!

http://501st-creations.co.uk/index.htm

It is not a static burst present, but however it's a great sound.

I've used both..."RomFX" and "501st Creations/ NanoAmp"...sounds in both the sound equally well, except the difference-"static burst" ;)

Here is my voice amp-test from the "NanoAmp"...but attention, it's in german :P so, does not listen to the drivel-

Cheers...

Edited by DarthChridan

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my ROM / FX Pro which has the 3 customzied Sounds. I put it in my TK Chest plate and ran the Mic thru my Under armor and did the test. The static burst is just like in the movie and it is done after I say each sentence. you have to say at least 3 words for it to static burst or speak a command. I am thrilled with the ROM/FX , but I do mnot have any info for the Trik Toys.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it can- G4Tyrant ( Graham) Has it set up that way.

I think the Rom is worth saving for and is actually good value for money in that it does exactly what it says it will do, this was developed by our own UKG co-founder John May and is still, in my opinion, essential trooping equipment!

• 1 month later...

Rumor is for a new voice card from a new supplier (not trik toys).

I tried out the new trik toys card a few months ago. I promptly returned it for a refund. I think it cost about $130-$140.

I am glad to hear the Aker is working for you though...

I was just going to post the same thing!!!

Rumor has it too that this is an AMAZING voice card... simply amazing!

like everyone says the trik toys one is just an amplifer, and you have to blow in it for the static burst at the end. I have one and its loud but no automatic burst after you speak. Its good for starting off I guess. I want a hyperdyne but we will see what happens

I have a rom/FX and it is truly awesome. You can customise the volume, the length of speech before static burst, how loud you have to talk for the mi to pick up your voice. I use mine with an aker amp and a wireless system. Pretty cool setup.

I just got my ROM/FX. I tested it!! my my!! that guys is really really smart!

It works just like the movies. I have an AKER 1506 amp together and it works amazingly well.

You will need to do the adjustment, on how much volume on the ROM and the Aker. How loud you will need to speak before the burst kicks in and all! but trully cant wait for my first troop with this.

I got the RAW board, since i already had the amp. I am going to build a case for the board and battery and its gonna sit beside my AKER Amp on my belt! The wires that you need for the ROM FX has already been included in the Aker Amp i have so i didnt have to buy anything extra.

Soon when my AP helmet comes, i will try and get the sound of the MIC Tips!!

dont have a trik toy or Hyperdyne, but this works well for me. I saw a thread on ICOMS- imperial communications! i might buy one to test!

thanks

PS: and John from ROMFX was very very nice!!

• 4 weeks later...

I use ROM/FX without the random voice bytes. I am very happy with it. I found to get better volume though I had to get rid of the speakers that were installed inside the Hovis and go with a some what larger speaker mounted inside the helmet. I have a thread in here on that subject if you want to know more. Makes a big difference in volume.

• 5 months later...

I can't comment on the ROM. But I do have a Trik Toys voice amp. I got it back in 2007 off Ebay for around $25. I havn't had one problem with it. I tape it to the back side of my chest armor & run the wire up under my balaclava, out the face hole & use the headset over. Sounds great & no one has a problem understanding what Im saying.

• 1 month later...