Jump to content

The various types of armor and where to find them


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, SublimeBW said:

Really dumb question - is the information on the first page up to date or is there a more current list of approved vendors somewhere within the 59 pages of this thread? 

If it is up to date, how big are the differences between the RS Propmasters (original sculpting) vs something that may have had a few revisions/tweaks from the other vendors? It is a bit hard to make a decision on vendors when the only one that seems to have some clarity is RS (I say hard as I want to check out the others but the information you can garner from a facebook page seems rather limited for something of this value).

Vendor info is current, as to the differences between the armor well that's up to the purchaser to research.

 

RS has the most info as they had access to an original suit so they would be the most original looking. 

 

From the first post:

"First and foremost...

 

There is no one 'best' armor. There is a 'best' armor for *you* depending on a few factors:

1) Your budget

2) What your body size is (yes, different armors lend themselves for different body types) *

3) How experienced are you at building armor

4) It's not the kit, it's how it's fitted to the wearer that counts *

 

While FISD does not endorse any particular armor maker, below are sellers who have proven themselves time and again in terms of customer service, honesty, and quality.

 

All makes below can be made to be both 501st and FISD acceptable."

 

Some research needs to be undertaken when looking to purchase, best way is to have a look through build threads, most have the makers initials in the title, or look at some of the EI and Centurion threads, again most have the makers initials in the title.

 

Good luck with the research.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Found this template on Etsy for 22 dollars. The reviews are great, but I understand it seems way too good to be true. Could someone look at the link and tell me if it's legit? https://www.etsy.com/listing/558687253/stormtrooper-armor-foam-templates?click_key=b5d2971607ab61648fce9ab91bda9979a2dced73%3A558687253&click_sum=41c85ab0&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=shadowtrooper+armor&ref=sr_gallery-1-6. Also are any of these websites legit: originalstormtrooper.com    stormtrooper-costumes.com

Edited by Awesomest_Dude
Adding questions
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Foam would be fun for Cosplay but not 501st approval unfortunately.

So if your aim is simply Cos or Halloween then $33 cant hurt

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Awesomest_Dude said:

Found this template on Etsy for 22 dollars. The reviews are great, but I understand it seems way too good to be true. Could someone look at the link and tell me if it's legit? https://www.etsy.com/listing/558687253/stormtrooper-armor-foam-templates?click_key=b5d2971607ab61648fce9ab91bda9979a2dced73%3A558687253&click_sum=41c85ab0&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=shadowtrooper+armor&ref=sr_gallery-1-6. Also are any of these websites legit: originalstormtrooper.com    stormtrooper-costumes.com

Foam trooper would not achieve 501st Legion approval.

 

If you do a search for originalstormtrooper.com  or  stormtrooper-costumes.com youll find many negative comments about them and accuracy is poor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/27/2022 at 3:19 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Foam trooper would not achieve 501st Legion approval.

 

If you do a search for originalstormtrooper.com  or  stormtrooper-costumes.com youll find many negative comments about them and accuracy is poor

Thanks. I assumed it was foam but wasn't sure. ANy good budget sellers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Awesomest_Dude said:

Thanks. I assumed it was foam but wasn't sure. ANy good budget sellers?

We recommend looking at the vetted sellers list, there are other makers out there, if you have a look through some of the build threads you can see what they are like, many builds have makers initials in the title of the pages. 

 

Sure you can find some cheap suits on eBay and Etsy BUT many of these are re-casted poor copies, unfortunately this isn't a cheap hobby if you want to do it right and are seeking 501st legion membership approval

 

Research is also the key ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The biggest issue right now is the increased price of ABS due to more limited supply and perhaps higher production costs. Some armor makers aren’t even producing due to supply or expense challenges. Up until now perhaps the most well known “budget” kits have come from ATA and MTK (Trooperbay). However, ATA is currently unavailable and Mark with MTK is on a production hold. In Europe I believe DA Props tends to be on the lower price range. When I last checked I believe the MonCal (Far Away Creations) had kits in the US for not a lot more than those aforementioned.

Best thing would be to check out that vetted list that Glen linked to, and reach out to some makers to see what they have available and at what price.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

The two types of material are HIPS and ABS, but one of the vendors is listed as made of flexible fiberglass which is neither of the above listed materials.

 

Also, I’m not going to agree when it says there are no complaints against the vendors listed because I’ve been to many armor building parties and heard the complaints, and I have several of my own. The problem with complaining about anything any of these approved vendors make or do is that not only will you get banned from ever buying anything from them in the future or getting help on building your armor, but a lot of them are friends with each other and the friends will ban you too. A lot of the complaints might be made by customers that are wrong and I understand that, but also the vendors give discounts and freebies to garrison and club officers so the customer complaints are never addressed. I can give an example from a vendor listed that is friends with a 501st Legion GML to the point that the armor maker can do nothing wrong.

 

So now I’ve got myself to a point where I can’t move forward in my build and I’ve already spent thousands and have 3+ years invested, yet if I want to get a stormtrooper armor approved I’m probably going to have to start from the beginning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, krzypilot13 said:

The two types of material are HIPS and ABS, but one of the vendors is listed as made of flexible fiberglass which is neither of the above listed materials.

 

Also, I’m not going to agree when it says there are no complaints against the vendors listed because I’ve been to many armor building parties and heard the complaints, and I have several of my own. The problem with complaining about anything any of these approved vendors make or do is that not only will you get banned from ever buying anything from them in the future or getting help on building your armor, but a lot of them are friends with each other and the friends will ban you too. A lot of the complaints might be made by customers that are wrong and I understand that, but also the vendors give discounts and freebies to garrison and club officers so the customer complaints are never addressed. I can give an example from a vendor listed that is friends with a 501st Legion GML to the point that the armor maker can do nothing wrong.

 

So now I’ve got myself to a point where I can’t move forward in my build and I’ve already spent thousands and have 3+ years invested, yet if I want to get a stormtrooper armor approved I’m probably going to have to start from the beginning.

Flexible fiberglass would that be Jim's? The materials list was made prior to more recent costumes and the use of flexible fiberglass is somewhat recent and the initial list mainly covered original trilogy armor and makers but no reason it can't be added to the material list.

 

Sorry to hear you have not had a good experience and have encountered issues. I've no idea what may be happening between a supplier and club officers and I've definitely not heard locally of anyone receiving freebies or discounts from suppliers but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

 

As a GML for some years (about 8 from memory) I can tell you that every costume I review is unbiased and nobody gets a friendly pass, but again that's not to say it doesn't happen elsewhere.

 

I would encourage you to message our Detachment Leader Andrew @Sly11 if you would like to talk about your issues in depth, I can't say whether he would be able to help or not but it is always helpful to know if there may be issues with a particular supplier. 

 

If you have issues with your GML and the approval of a costume again you could speak to Andrew or contact the LMO's (legion membership officers), I'm sure they would be able to assist, email for them is lmo@501st.com. 

 

If you do have solid evidence of some impropriety with your garrison command you could reach out the the LCOG's (captain of the guards) and ask to remain anonymous to protect yourself from any reprisal, their email is cog@501st.com.

 

I hope some of that information may be of help to you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, krzypilot13 said:

The two types of material are HIPS and ABS, but one of the vendors is listed as made of flexible fiberglass which is neither of the above listed materials.

 

Also, I’m not going to agree when it says there are no complaints against the vendors listed because I’ve been to many armor building parties and heard the complaints, and I have several of my own. The problem with complaining about anything any of these approved vendors make or do is that not only will you get banned from ever buying anything from them in the future or getting help on building your armor, but a lot of them are friends with each other and the friends will ban you too. A lot of the complaints might be made by customers that are wrong and I understand that, but also the vendors give discounts and freebies to garrison and club officers so the customer complaints are never addressed. I can give an example from a vendor listed that is friends with a 501st Legion GML to the point that the armor maker can do nothing wrong.

 

So now I’ve got myself to a point where I can’t move forward in my build and I’ve already spent thousands and have 3+ years invested, yet if I want to get a stormtrooper armor approved I’m probably going to have to start from the beginning.

As Glen mentioned, my door is always open and you can discuss whatever you need with me. If I can help, I certainly will.

I do also speak with GML from all over the world if they have any issues or enquires, and I also do what ever I can to overcome problems for our memebrs.

Troopers helping troopers. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...