The Star Wars Saga, how do you rank the episodes?

RogueTrooper

I know we are all Star Wars Fans or we would not be discussing and improving armor and costumes, so we can be a part of the adventure all the time. I thought it would be a fun thing for anyone who wanted, to say what their first or favorite memory of seeing the Star Wars Saga's and how you rank the episodes.

Here are my first memories:

I have been a true fan of Stars Wars every since my parents took me to see episode 4, A New Hope. But, at that time it was not known as episode 4 A New Hope, it was just known as Star Wars. I was 3 years old, yes 3 year old when this epic adventure blasted on the movie screens for the first time. I have had numerous arguments with other fans who do not believe the age I was and actually went to the theatre to see this. And, I probably would not have, because my parents were extremely busy at that time starting up their fledging business. If it had not been for one of the employees at the business, who had recently seen Star Wars and had told my parents that he knew that my sister and I would truly enjoy this epic adventure, I probably would not have seen it at that time. I remember him telling me about the characters, creatures and exciting space battles. I also remember standing in line, which for a kid my age, seemed like days, and finally was in the jammed packed theatre. As I look back now, it was more than well worth it. If that employee had not pestered my parents into taking my sister and I to see the movie, I probably would not have seen Star Wars until I was a few years older. I don't know where that employee is today, but if I knew where he was, I would shake his hand and say THANK YOU!!

I can still remember seeing the scroll run up the screen and the large star destroyer coming on screen and continuing on and on. I still have bits and pieces of that night in my memory and after the movie ended I remember begging my mom and dad "can we see it again, right now, can we see it again"? I remember them telling me they were not going to stand in line for hours to get tickets, but would bring me back again. And, they did bring me back again and again. A few years later, I remeber doing the same thing forThe Empire Strikes Back and 6 years after seeing Star Wars for the very first time doing the same thing for Return of The Jedi.

So my favorite episode of the Star Wars Saga's is:

Star Wars - The theatrical edition, and The Empire Strikes Back - "Dead Even", can't choose one over the other.

Return of The Jedi - simply because I enjoy the characters and the scenes about Jabba The Hutt's palace and Tatooine. Also the battle between Luke and Darth Vader, with Luke trying to find the good in his father.

When it comes to the prequels, I did sit in line for days to get a ticket for each and everyone of them. I was hoping to have the same experience with the prequels that I did with the original Triology. I don't have a problem enough that I totally hate the prequels. I just felt that George Lucas did not do justice. There was too much CG in the movies and too much going back to Tatooine. There is a whole universe that he could have used but he kept going back to Tatooine, which made it not seem so special. He missed an been much older, maybe about Lukes age, 18 or 19. That would have made more sense when Anakin was brought before the council at 18 or 19 and Yoda stated that Anakin was too old to star tthe training. That would have given Anakin a reason why he was more reckless because he got a crash course in the Jedi skills. And, of course Jar Jar Binks (I have no words for this fiasco). Not making the mystery for the audience of Palpatine being Darth Sidious. It could have been done! Very poor acting by Hayden Christensen and made Anakin

a "whiner". Did not need the midiclorians! I felt the force should have been more along the lines of a Spriitural connection/belief, not a bunch of bugs in your blood. I could keep going on about the bad parts of the prequels, but I would be here all day.

I prefer to watch some of the fanedits of the prequels, because they have cut out some of the bad and non-needed stuff to the movies.

A couple of things that I really liked about the prequels are Clone Troopers and Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan Kenobi, I think for the most he did the part justice.

So that is whyI have to put the prequels "dead even" to one another. I could not pick one over the other.

Don't even get me started on the special editions!!!!! But I have to say this one thing, Han shoots first and only Han!!!

sagasimonz.thumb.jpg.b18d14235a8ae12b6b16147bad64aa37.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Empire Strikes Back is Number 1. Gaint 4 legged Walkers with Lasers mounted on their heads AND we find out who da baby's daddy is.

Then comes ANH cuz it had the best looking storm troopers. Then ROTJ.

the prequels...I still pretend they didn't happen.

I generally don't give much consideration to the prequel trilogy. I guess I'm with Dark-GTI04 in terms of order of preference: The original trilogy, in the order they were released. And if I had to put the prequel trilogy in there I would say episodes III, II and then I, in reverse order.

I was 14 when SW first hit the screens in 1977. I feel this was the perfect age for me to have been impressed for life by this amazing movie.

Well I'm a pretty young guy, only 20. So obviously I wasnt around for any of the original trilogy. However when I was probably 8 or 9 my mom who had been around for the movies took me to the movie rental place one night and we got all 3. I put it in as soon as I got home and I was glued to the TV! I had never seen anything like it. I thought it was amazing and even to this day when that open shot of ANH comes on and the Star Destroyer flies over I still get chills. As far as how I would rank them it would be:

The Empire Strikes Back: Bobba Fett, great fight scenes, emotionally charged conclusion, more Vader!, more Harrison Ford ( one of the best actors of our time, I think) snowtroopers and Yoda. Its my favorite

A New Hope: I just like ESB better. This movie is awesome, as everyone here knows. Love the sandtroopers, jawas, the cantina, Obi Wan vs Vader (a saber fight doesnt have to be full of acrobatics george, I think this is one of the best duels in the saga just based on the emotion and the backstory that is involved), The Death Star battle is sumply Epic!

Return of the Jedi: Sorry ROTJ fans this is just where it falls in my saga. I love it just as much as the ones above. The Ewoks were a bit annoying. Bobba Fett gets killed in the first half hour, come on george this is one of the best characters of the saga! The Scout Troopers were awesome, the battle of endor was very well done, I liked the 3 different simultaneous battles. Love the ending when Vader disposes of the Emperor. Ties up the saga very nicely.

Revenge of the Sith: Again with the whining Anakin? Everytime I watch it I put my head in my hands during some of the dialogue (Padme: I love you! Anakin: No I love you! Anakin: You look amazing! Padme: Its only because I am in love! Anakin: No, No, No I am so in love with you! Padme: So love has blinded you?-----Dear god) I really think someone should have said something or hijacked the writing process to avoid this. I think Hayden could have done much better, but for the most part actors read whats given to them <_<, Anyway, lots of action, Love the scene where the clones march into the jedi temple, love all the different clones, like the battle on Kashyyyk. The battle between anakin and obi wan was pretty well done but couldve been a little shorter. I am a General Grievous fan. I also love the opening battle above Corusant.

Phantom Menace: I know a lot of people despise this film and I reconize many of the flaws, Didn't like Jar Jar, or the Gungans, The podrace was cool but pointless, Watto (sp) was obnoxious etc etc. I did like Darth Maul, he and Darth Sideous shouldve been more prominent in the movie instead of concentrating on the Viceroy. I wish they would've done a better job like we all know they could've

Attack of the Clone: This is my least favorite by far. The clones are cool, Jango is cool, The battle with 500 jedi and billions of clones and battle droids was cool but why didnt they spend more time on it and make it an epic end of movie battle like the one on endor or the battle on hoth, there was like 5 minutes of CGI battle. They should have added 10 more minutes and cut out the part with Anakin whining about Padme falling out of the troop transport onto a very soft sandy dune. The also couldve cut out anakin propsing to padme before they enter the arena and the whole anakin and padme at the lake section... :angry: Oh well. Lots of bad but there is some redeeming good in there.

I also feel like this is overlooked, Jar Jar Binks, standing in for Senator Amidala, puts forth the motion that gives Palpatine supreme powers. This means that Jar Jar, the most hated character in the Star Wars canon, is indirectly responsible for the fall of the Old Republic and the near-annihilation of the Jedi order.

Well thats my list, sorry its a bit long haha

Jonathan

If anyone would love to see different takes on the Saga, especially prequels, there is a whole world of fan edits. You can download them for free and there are some truly amazing re-edits of the entire Saga.

If you go to: fanedit.org you will find a ton of these edits, not only for Star Wars, but other movies, like the Terminator series, Superman, Batman, Inidana Jones, just about any top movies that has ever been done has a fanedit version. These are free..

LINK:

http://fanedit.org/?s=star+wars

For me: The three original movies in the order they were released. . . .and then episodes III, II & finally I (in backwards order).

A-men. Perhaps it's because I saw the OT as they came out, and like you felt the NT got better as it went along. I actually like EPII - guess it's because Portman is hottest in it and I like the EPII clones a lot (though some day I will get that 41st Elite clone...)

For me, it's:

1. A New Hope

I know a lot of people like Empire more, but without ANH, there would not have even been a trilogy! This movie was very new in so many ways, and highly influences me when I went to see it in the theatre. I remember as a kid drawing all the characters at home, especially Stormtroopers. My first home made costume was a Stormtrooper! :)

2. The Empire strikes back

Great story, great characters, the cliffhanger ending - the first I'd seen at the time, done in good taste.

3. Return of the Jedi

Great ending to the original trilogy

I still like the originals, and not so much the special editions. I think Lucas should have stopped at cleaning up the matte lines and restoration to the film, and not messed with adding those extra scenes.

4. Revenge of the Sith

The story and dialog could have been tightened up as previously mentioned. Some great designs and some poor ones too. Some great characters and misused ones too. I felt the final lightsaber battle - while epic, was somewhat forgettable in terms of pacing and common sense. Obi cutting Ani's legs and an arm in swipe? Gimme a break...

Didn't like the new Vader (the symmetrical helmet just looks wrong, and the poorly written dialog was horrible. Vader: "Nooooooooooooooooooo!" Overall though, it wrapped up the prequel trilogy.

5. Attack of the clones

It was great to see the elements of the Clone wars, I liked the battle footage etc.. Didn't like the casting of Christopher Lee. While he was an awesome guy, I felt that GL should have kept Darth maul alive from EP1, and made him this bad guy with more character and lines, and have him be a loyal apprentice, only to be conveniently executed and replaced. That would have made Palpatine more evil and cunning as an architect.

6. Phantom Menace

Very disjointed story. I was so excited to see this when it came out, but the story was not very well planned and should have focussed more on Anakin. While some people say it was Jake Lloyd's acting, it think it was GL's story and dialog and direction. He should have written the story in collaboration with another good screen writer, let someone new direct, and focused on production rather than directing.

Empire Strikes Back is Number 1. Gaint 4 legged Walkers with Lasers mounted on their heads AND we find out who da baby's daddy is.

Then comes ANH cuz it had the best looking storm troopers. Then ROTJ.

the prequels...I still pretend they didn't happen.

said it the best, but bein as I was 10 when episode one (as Im sure most of you all were when the originals came out :D) came out I thought qui gon jin was the best jedi I had ever seen, so for the prequels it would have to be I, III, and then II

Episode V: Empire. Best of the movies. A perfect Act 2.

Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. Brought everything together, ended in tragedy and the birth of the Vader costume. A little bit slow in the middle with Palpatine and Anakin talking at the circus, but other than those 30-40 minutes, a great film.

Episode 4: A New Hope. I could go into the few incongruencies of this film, but I'm too afraid of the flaming and possible ban if I did. :P

Episode 6: Jedi: I like everything about this film except the ewoks. Speeder bikes, awesome. Battle with Vader, awesome. Sail Barge and freeing Solo, awesome. Killing the emperor and bringing the OT to a close, awesome also. It may rank higher if it didn't have ewoks and if George hadn't inserted Hayden at the end in the SE. I think that soured me a bit. Not the film's fault, I know.

Episode 1: Menace: I have no idea why so few like this film. I like everything about the film except the 30 minute podracing scene. That could have been 5 minutes. Darth Maul is awesome. People only hate Jar-Jar because they grew up with the OT. Ask anyone that is 18 or younger what they thought of Jar-Jar when they saw EP 1 for the first time. To a person, I haven't found anyone that dislikes him. He's a lot less annoying than those GD ewoks.

Episode 2: Clones. I hated this film. The instant I came out of that film with my dad he said, "Less kissy, more fighty." Exactly how I felt. And the CGI was terrible. Like when Anakin was riding that, what, mole? Awful. I concur that Portman was hot as hell, but that alone doesn't make this move decent.

I actually like the movie Clone Wars better than Ep2 even with Ahsoka being the most annoying Star Wars Universe creation to hit the big screen yet.

4, 5, 6, 3, 2, 1. It really depends on how you look at it. Ep 4 had the biggest impact on my 11 year old brain. Nothing beats the summer of 77. In a different way the anticipation leading up to ESB and then finally seeing it was an amazing experience. I relived a lot of that before Ep1 but it was a bit of a let down in the theater. Probably because we had such huge expectations. I first realized that Ep1 wasn't working when I looked over at my wife who was sound asleep in the theater.

I love them all, prequels, SE and all.

But, if I had to put them in order...

- A New Hope - I really gained a new respect for this movie during my TK build, I must've watched it 4 or 5 times a day. It really is the best, it's where everything started.

- Empire Strikes Back - Do I really have to give an explanation?

- Revenge of the Sith - A little slow in the beginning, but the 2nd half of the movie is really good. Order 66, Obi-wan v. Anakin, the birth of Vader, lots of good stuff there.

- Attack of the Clones - Great action, and I think I'm one of the few people who actually liked the love story.

- Return of the Jedi - My least favorite of the OT, and it's not because of the Ewoks.

- Phantom Menace - There is a lot to like here, but the movie really needs to be re-edited. Lose about 10 minutes of the movie, really tighten up and I think the movie would be 1000x better.

For me: The three original movies in the order they were released. . . .and then episodes III, II & finally I (in backwards order).

I agree 100%! The first movie really floored me with all the action and story. Then when Han Solo was frozen solid I cried! The cliffhanger ending had me on the edge of my seat! Then in Jedi they really wrapped everything up, great story as well. (I even liked the Ewoks!)

The next three were OK, but nothing like the first trilogy.

Original

out of thous the best is ESB

Pre

the only thing worth watching is the stroming of the Jedi temple by "US" truly 501st Legion!!

ESB #1, ANH#2, ROTJ 3 where they used real people, a creative script and writing, some real neat man made props and lots of human creativity. Then it would be the very unimaginative computer generated stuff that attempted to be Star Wars- ROTS 4, Ep I, Ep II, showed very, very, very little creativity other than computer programming. no costumes other than a few robes and light sabers, and Jango Fett

I'm with Panda on this...same sequence for me......:)

I saw ANH in 1977, my father too me to see it... it blew me away..... and to see the movie on one of those very old massive screens was just incredible...

Gungans... one word... Exterminate..... :D

I totally agree. That said...

Episode III: The best scene? When the 501st march into the Jedi Temple. Although I have issues with the fact that they aren't marching in sync. No army would be that out of sync with each other. Each step would have been perfectly aligned. I've seen marching bands from high schools that move in coordination better. I blame the CGI people for that one.

Then the scene where Vader's mask comes down over the camera...the WHOLE screen is filled with a profile shot of Vader's head and sholulders and then they tip the table upright. Cinematic goodness.

Other than that, 'cmon Anakin, grow up. Stop sulking because the Jedi Council thinks you might be a tad young to be on it. Good grielf, you've been a jedi knight for what? A year? And you think you deserve the right to be called Master? Obviously the Council knew something.

But the movie that will remain dearest to my heart is Episode IV: A New Hope

I was nine. My parent's were jaded about movies and never ever took my sisters and I to a PG rated film. So Star Wars was a first in more than one way. After hearing all the stories from my friends (try having a 9 year old explain about R2-D2 and C-3PO in a "What I Did Last Summer" essay in class and you know how confused I was. My dad after much pleading on my part took my sisters and I to see it. Talk about WOW! I was completely blown away. I went back and saw it as many times as I could convince my parents to let me, and/or my friends' parents and friends. I think all in all I saw it 14 or 15 times in the theater. Then for Christmas my mother gve me the ultimate present. After opening the Star Wars sheet set (which I still have BTW), I opened the Star Wars Movie record. Not the soundtrack, but the Dialog! To this day when the Millenium Falcon is entering the Death Star Landing Bay, I still wait for the pause in the soundtrack ("we're opening the magnetic field" four music measures then break) because it was at that point that you had to turn over the record to continue the story. Unfortunately my record gave up the ghost about 15 years after I got it for Christmas, but a friend of mine still has her copy.

Okay, now I have to break out the Kleenex. 11 years ago when my father died, I read through his journals. I found the entry he had written the night he took us to Star Wars. He wrote that Star Wars had renewed his faith in movie making. There were good guys and bad guys. No preaching about social issues, just a moral story, one that was fun and entertaining. He talked about his children's reactions to the movie and how much he enjoyed hearing us talk about it over and over and over. He talked about the great special effects and how marvelous all the detail was. He loved Darth Vader and even wanted to wear the costume for Halloween. He would have made a great Vader standing 6'5". Unfortunately he never got the chance as we could never find a costume long enough to fit him.

Okay next...Episode V: Empire Strikes Back - didn't love it as much as the first, and still don't watch it as often as ANH, but still an excellent movie. Great story, good acting...still have a few issues with the whole Vader/Father thing, but after reading the Making of Star Wars, I understand that Lucas intended all along that Vader was Luke's dad, even before ANH was filmed. Love the use of stormtroopers in the film on Bespin. They deserve more credit then they get. :D

ROTJ: An okay film, I wasn't as happy with it. I'm not a big fan of the Ewoks, and it always pains me to see the end when they are using stormtrooper and biker scout buckets as drums at the end of the movie. :( But overall a good film (theatrical version not the one where they put Haden Christensen in at the end).

Okay, I have a confession to make. I never saw Episode II in the theater. I was SOOOO disapointed with EP I that it was impossible for me to get up the desire to see EP II. I had to be dragged to see EP III and only went because my cousin's stepdaughter wanted to go and I was the only person who could take her. So know you know my dirty Star Wars saga secret...shhhhhhhh.

Attack of the Clones is on Spike TV right now. I'm not actually watching it again, its just on in the background as I check the forum out (nightly routine).

Another annoying thing about the new Trilogy is the way the aliens talk. I guess they got lazy with the new movies and didn't bother to create alien languages and simply gave the various races of aliens accents. i hate watto's accent. What is that supposed to be? middle eastern? And the trade federation's japanese accents.

Come to think of it . . . besides the scenes with Jabba and the rest of the Hutts, were any subtitles used in any of the movies?

How come Jabba's relatives can talk like humans in the clone wars series but not Jabba?

Its all terrible.

Could have been worse . . .Mudflaps & Skids from Revenge of the Fallen.

I liked all of the movies. The prequils showed the back story of what happened before ANH, although there really isn't a plot in the Phantom Menace it was the return of the lightsabes that I enjoyed, only the starwars movies could use lightsabers. To show the story of Anikin and Obiwan was how I related the movies so the plot has already been set with ANH, now we could go back in time and see what happened. Jarjar was there for the kids, not needed and annoying but I guess the kids liked him.

After watching that review of the Phantom Menace, I kinda didn't want to watch that movie anymore. <_<

But Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were great! They will never live up to the oringinal why?

Because back in the 70's there were Westerns and old black and white movies that were so boring!

Now every movie trys to be a blockbuster. Take the Prequils back to 1977 and boom you have a instant classic.

There were no or hardly any special effects back then, now there is too much special effects and not enough story.

Do you remember the 70's?

No cable, no vcr's, no cell phones and TV had like 5 channels, no microwave ovens.

Getting back to the topic,

There all good movies its just we live in a world that is so fast pace that we can't hold onto what just happened a week ago.

Remember the Matrix that was awesome, where are there fans at? beside us.

Starwars will always be my favorite!

Empire, brilliant.

Return of the jedi : I hate the ewoks they ruined that movie!

The Prequils are cool but will never get the attention it deserves or any movie for that matter in this era.

Remember these traliers?

The plot is WAR!

</a> Phantom Menace

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAKU24354Tc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAKU24354Tc</a> Attack of the Clones

</a> Revenge of the Sith.

Now these traliers show what I plan to due today. :D

Oh, and I rate them all highly.