Thanks

- makerofthings!

Oh... my... good... ness... :blink:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh... my... good... ness... :blink:

It's a noble cause, just would have been nice if he had retouched the molds (sense recasting causes loss of detail) and then actually learned how to vacu-form correctly =/

I know a lot of people that could never justify spending the kind of money I have on my TK for a suit, if some ones willing to spend their time and effort and can provide a decent quality suit (which this guy can't) at material cost I would say it's a nice community effort.

Though, this will start a whole recasting debate so I digress.

MiDri said:
It's a noble cause, just would have been nice if he had retouched the molds (sense recasting causes loss of detail) and then actually learned how to vacu-form correctly =/

I know a lot of people that could never justify spending the kind of money I have on my TK for a suit, if some ones willing to spend their time and effort and can provide a decent quality suit (which this guy can't) at material cost I would say it's a nice community effort.

Though, this will start a whole recasting debate so I digress.

Haha... yeah...

I'll just point to what Paul said here... he did a great job and it will keep this thread on topic. B)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

(Man I'm replying a lot to this...)

Just wanted to say that I admire all the guys out there that find ways to help those who can't afford big time suits... the thing is we're a GREAT community and I KNOW (from experience) that guys ARE willing to help when they can. People tend to just look for the "easy way out."

I don't doubt that in the next few years there will be more quality armor available at lower prices... but the thing is, it's an expensive hobby... and it takes time and money to do it right. That will never really change.

(Man I'm replying a lot to this...)

Just wanted to say that I admire all the guys out there that find ways to help those who can't afford big time suits... the thing is we're a GREAT community and I KNOW (from experience) that guys ARE willing to help when they can. People tend to just look for the "easy way out."

I don't doubt that in the next few years there will be more quality armor available at lower prices... but the thing is, it's an expensive hobby... and it takes time and money to do it right. That will never really change.

Thats an understatement.

Maker of things has already been listed on the Propsafe Forum as a known recaster of TE2. Not a far stretch since his blasters have been recasted from a Master Replica E-11 all along.

Also The S in HIPS stands for styrene ;)

Maker of things has already been listed on the Propsafe Forum as a known recaster of TE2. Not a far stretch since his blasters have been recasted from a Master Replica E-11 all along.

Also The S in HIPS stands for styrene ;)

lol ya but the HIP stands for High Impact ;) -- all about the prefix!

I asked if it was recast from TE or TE2 and this is the response I got:

These molds derive from the aforementioned armor set. They

where created to allow enthusiasts a chance to own a set of ANH

armor without the high price tag.

Thanks

- makerofthings!

I've heard that speach from someone on here too :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why anyone would spend $300 for this.

If you wanted a HIPS set of armor, get the ATA set. It will include the lenses, brow and neck trim, and mic tips! Plus none of the cracks in the helmet. By the time you buy all those extras yourself, you would have been money ahead on a set of ATA.

I'm not sure why anyone would spend $300 for this.

If you wanted a HIPS set of armor, get the ATA set. It will include the lenses, brow and neck trim, and mic tips! Plus none of the cracks in the helmet. By the time you buy all those extras yourself, you would have been money ahead on a set of ATA.

Which is also a recast of the aforementioned (TE2) armor....

Are you guys that thick? Really...Come on.

The term recast is rather old in these parts. That was a long time ago....The TE lineage is so far gone now... There was ONLY TE/TE2 armor. Everything else is a recast of that armor or is derived from that original set of ROTJ armor it was cast from.

Who has the real deal???? --GINO=recast original ROTJ mold casts - still intact. (also was working on an ANH set)

TE=recast from ROTJ armor and made to look ANH

TE2=recast massaged more to look like ANH

SDS=AP/TE2 recast

AP=recast from original ROTJ armor and massaged to look ANH

ATA=TE2/SDS? recast

PT=TE2 recast

VT= AP/TE recast

VAJ=TE2 recast

CAP=TE2 recast

LAWS=recast himself lol:) which is a ROTJ recast....

Troopermaster=Fanmade??? or massaged recast? nobody knows for sure but it IS beautiful :)

There are many many other people making this armor now. Its everywhere...So get off the recast debate its pretty stupid now. Just buy a set of armor and troop. Leave the drama to the guys on the RPF...

Really, its ALL recasts... makerofthings is just doing what the aforementioned others are doing. I am not speaking for them, this is just my opinion.

Ah great... another really good post on recasting for me to bookmark... thanks Mike. ;)

And I saw Wicked on Broadway after it had been recast and it was really good!

Which is also a recast of the aforementioned (TE2) armor....

Are you guys that thick? Really...Come on.

The term recast is rather old in these parts. That was a long time ago....The TE lineage is so far gone now... There was ONLY TE/TE2 armor. Everything else is a recast of that armor or is derived from that original set of ROTJ armor it was cast from.

Who has the real deal???? --GINO=recast original ROTJ mold casts - still intact. (also was working on an ANH set)

TE=recast from ROTJ armor and made to look ANH

TE2=recast massaged more to look like ANH

SDS=AP/TE2 recast

AP=recast from original ROTJ armor and massaged to look ANH

ATA=TE2/SDS? recast

PT=TE2 recast

VT= AP/TE recast

VAJ=TE2 recast

CAP=TE2 recast

LAWS=recast himself lol:) which is a ROTJ recast....

Troopermaster=Fanmade??? or massaged recast? nobody knows for sure but it IS beautiful :)

There are many many other people making this armor now. Its everywhere...So get off the recast debate its pretty stupid now. Just buy a set of armor and troop. Leave the drama to the guys on the RPF...

Really, its ALL recasts... makerofthings is just doing what the aforementioned others are doing. I am not speaking for them, this is just my opinion.

Not that it matters but now I know.

Great info.

You should separate 'recasting' as a whole from 'recasting TE armor' Mike, else the arguments get blurred. Are you saying that we as a community shouldn't give a rat's an impolite person if people recast TE2 or TM? C'mon now - you know that's not right either. :)

Not all recasting is bad, not all is good. It's naive and self-deceiving to pretend otherwise. Also the list is not entirely accurate either. CAP recast parts from other makers aside from TE and there is a difference between CAP-1 and CAP-2.

And for the love of god, let's please stop pretending that unlimited and unrestricted recasting is something to be admired, encouraged, and is healthy for the community, as it is NOT. If you believe otherwise, there's a good group of folks waiting for you on the DIY forums.

I dont think I should seperate recasting at all. it is what it is. My point was that ALL armorers recast the ROTJ or TE/TE2 armor or a derivitave there of. Some people get a bow and are allowed to recast openly. Others are shunned and banned cause they arent in the click. It is still ALL recasted and I personally dont give a rats a very impolite person anymore. You cant stop or slow what has already happened in such large numbers that its not going away. You can only embrace it and move on. There will always be TE2, but copies abound.

There is no such thing as TE/ATA/CAP/PT/VAJ/AP/VT/CAP-2/SDS blah, blah, blah... Its all ANH armor or ROTJ armor or ESB armor to me. The branding of these people is stupid now. Thats my opinion.

Using your mentality: Would it be OK for me to recast a set of CAP armor? ATA did it and got a free pass. CAP gave permission to everyone to recast him... Not just ATA...Anybody interested in ABS CAP armor????

You should separate 'recasting' as a whole from 'recasting TE armor' Mike, else the arguments get blurred. Are you saying that we as a community shouldn't give a rat's an impolite person if people recast TE2 or TM? C'mon now - you know that's not right either. :)

I understood what he meant... or understood it as meant that way.

And I certainly didn't mean recasting was good (by my little "Wicked" joke). Just to make sure I'm being understood. B)

I dont think I should seperate recasting at all. it is what it is. My point was that ALL armorers recast the ROTJ or TE/TE2 armor or a derivitave there of. Some people get a bow and are allowed to recast openly. Others are shunned and banned cause they arent in the click. It is still ALL recasted and I personally dont give a rats a very impolite person anymore. You cant stop or slow what has already happened in such large numbers that its not going away. You can only embrace it and move on. There will always be TE2, but copies abound.

There is no such thing as TE/ATA/CAP/PT/VAJ/AP/VT/CAP-2/SDS blah, blah, blah... Its all ANH armor or ROTJ armor or ESB armor to me. The branding of these people is stupid now. Thats my opinion.

Using your mentality: Would it be OK for me to recast a set of CAP armor? ATA did it and got a free pass. CAP gave permission to everyone to recast him... Not just ATA...Anybody interested in ABS CAP armor????

Not all. What about RT? FX? It's perfectly fine to break apart TE derived armor from others and focus on that. I would agree that by and large it is open season on TE derived armor, though I do believe there are still some exceptions that we have to honor. And in all things, regardless of whether it's TK armor or clone armor or even Vader helmets, we in leadership teams across the Legion should as part of our duty ensure that our membership is protected from dishonest sellers of all stripes, be they 501st members or not.

Branding of sellers has occurred and if you look at who was banned, etc. in detail you'll note that it's not just about recasting per se, but connected to their behavior on the forums, how they treat members, etc.

As for ABS CAP derived armor - well I'm sure it will sell well price / quality depending. ABS always seems to be preferred over HIPS all other things being equal, but by and large ABS armor costs more, is harder to find at the same quality bar from reputable sellers, and - for some - harder to trim than HIPS.

I think one of the big problems with re-casters that people have is that most of them suck, They don't touch up their molds after they create them -- so they're overly rounded. and just do shucks work which causes more loss of detail and webbing.

I think if some one wants to get into the recasting "business" to help provide quality suits at a lower price then it cost me to get mine more power to them. I have friends that would love to have armor and I would love to go trooping with them, but they can't afford to spend $800 on a bunch of pieces of plastic that cost no were near that to make.

Also people that know how to do prop/costume design are a great boon to the community, they can provide replacement parts and what not so that you don't have to wait for AP or TE2 or any of those guys to have scraps when you need to replace your shoulder/bicep you just fell over and cracked.

A great point, which is why we at FISD take care to differentiate between the two types. Part of the charter for this detachment is supporting and educating members so that they are not misled. Protecting them for less than reputable sellers is part of this process. Many of us got duped early in our 501st careers when information was harder to come by and more opaque. I see no reason for others to suffer like we did. Paying these kinds of "dues" helps no one, at least not any of our members.

I think "brands" are important for quality control, that is about it. Holding people accountable. People should take pride in the good "brands".