Suggestions wanted - how can FISD be better?

Daetrin

Troops:

The year is almost 1/2 over and now is a good time to reflect on what we've done well, and what areas we as FISD staff can improve on. We're full up and should have appropriate bandwidth to address any and all ideas that you guys have.

So...in the interest of openness and transparency I welcome *every* member of this forum to toss out any ideas you guys have on how we can make FISD even better than it is today.

And...if there is something we're doing well please let us know that too so we can keep doing it :)

Thanks all,

Daetrin

Troops:

The year is almost 1/2 over and now is a good time to reflect on what we've done well, and what areas we as FISD staff can improve on. We're full up and should have appropriate bandwidth to address any and all ideas that you guys have.

So...in the interest of openness and transparency I welcome *every* member of this forum to toss out any ideas you guys have on how we can make FISD even better than it is today.

And...if there is something we're doing well please let us know that too so we can keep doing it :)

Thanks all,

Daetrin

My opinion, for what its worth, is that on the whole the staff are doing a great job.

The only critisism/ suggestion for improvement is that if a poll is put up and the members then vote that the vote decision is upheld and not over ridden by the staff.

Other than what Matt spoke about I have no complaints. The staff is doing a wonderful job on here and "keeping the fun" in the Legion!

Uhm...how about great quality staff?

Oh, wait...already done.

How about an easy to use forum?

Oh, wait...already done.

How about...free beer Fridays? :)

This is the best forum/community I've ever been a part of...everyone has been very friendly, the staff is always willing to help out noobs with their questions...

I can't really think of anything to improve upon... :salute:

I'm of the same opinion. It's difficult to find something you're doing wrong.

:duim:

I really have no real suggestions. But I have a couple of "impractical" and "wild" ones:

1. While I see no practical reasons for it, you may want to open an International section with forums in other languages. But as I said, is not really practical because all garrisons have their own forums. It would only serve for those lost troopers who come here first.

2. As here are lots of invaluable tutorials with images hosted elsewhere, maybe you'd like to implement your own file service. I play a MMORPG called "Eve Online" and one of the users created a service called "Eve Files". Most images and videos linked from the official Eve forums are hosted on that service. In that way you won't find broken images links. (But if you use one of the big services you'll avoid that problem too, so...)

Just a couple of ideas, but not great ones, I must admit.

How about we add a few things to the registration process such as a fill in the blank section that would be copied word for word with a short paragraph above it to ensure that new members understand our basic rules.

Such as:

I am not allowed to post want-to-buy threads

I am not allowed to ____ want-to-buy threads.

Something like the above that covers all the things we want our new members to pay attention to.

The fact that the question is being asked says alot! It is good to keep on top of things and always have an eye to improve where possible, that being said could we have a permanent suggestion thread. That way any and all new ideas can be aired amongst the membership and the powers that be can see whether or not they are popular or practical and act accordingly.

How about we add a few things to the registration process such as a fill in the blank section that would be copied word for word with a short paragraph above it to ensure that new members understand our basic rules.

Such as:

I am not allowed to post want-to-buy threads

I am not allowed to ____ want-to-buy threads.

Something like the above that covers all the things we want our new members to pay attention to.

An excellent idea.

I pretty much agree word for word with Edward, including the Free Beer Fridays. ^_^

About the only improvement I can recommend is to take swifter action against those who would ruin the atmosphere of this forum for their own amusement. Since a couple of not-to-be-named members were booted several months ago, the vibe here has been nothing but positive. Let's keep it that way, and encourage more of it. For instance, I loved VaderDave's patch giveaway at the beginning of this year.

I have no problem with free and open debate, but not at the expense of the the welcoming atmosphere that makes the FISD such a great place to hang out. Thanks to Daetrin and staff for making the FISD what it is.

:salute:

I was pretty stumped when I first arrived here about not being able to ask where to buy armor from. Had to learn the hard way. Is there a way that when people register, the email that automatically gets sent to them can say in big bold letters: to please not post 'want to buy' threads and also explain the reasoning behind it?

I know most people don't always read those mail letters, but if you played around with the font and text to draw attention to it, it might help some people get educated before they post.

Search feature sucks...

Photo reference of all known parts in TK land with descriptions on troopablity.

Yearly award to the best tutorial and the most helpful trooper.

Free beer.

I'd like to thank all the members and my fellow staff members who have made me feel so welcome here over the last 7 months. Thank you all! And thanks to the boss, cheers Paul for placing value on my opinion, even when we don't agree. :salute:

Keep the suggestions coming guys, this is how we know what you want! :D

Search feature sucks...

Ditto. Most of the times is almost useless... Definitely need to be fixed.

And a nice reference library with all the important pictures + links to awesome armor builds like Stukatrooper's ones would be great.

How can you improve something that seems to be running so smoothly?

The only thought I can think of is something to help the new people. BS.N has a set person to contact for basic armor info, explanation of the acronyms, etc. All the little bits to help people get started. I think something like that would be good for new people. The armor makers are hardly a secret. With the individual makers approval why not have a "newbie starting kit." A new person signs up on the forums, gets overwhelmed with info, but they can PM either a set person on the staff or any of the staff who send them "the kit" that gives them a basic overview and answers some of the most basic new questions and helps to keep from getting burned on ebay.

Maybe some armor-by-armor pages that sorts out the inconsistencies with the screen used armors and the 'crafted' ones?

For instance, I managed to scrape some info on the FX inconsistencies/inaccuracies, but it took me some dear time. The info surely is out there, but had to sift through a lot of posts to find out exactly why FX armor was inaccurate (most comments were on the helmet, and me having an MRCE it's not really something I care about :P)

Maybe have some sort of mannequin stand there with the armor, arrows pointing to points of interest, with links to topics where those mods have been done, maybe re-write those in a pictorial (a picture-tutorial :P)?

Would also give a great reference to check if something's a recast or not, with most of the armourers on the boards, I am sure we can get accurate armor pics? I for one can hardly see the difference.

Aaaand... I dunno just indexing things a bit more, like having a picture of 3 pics of E11 blasters, the ANH, ESB and ROTJ ones. Then a dropdown with different ways of obtaining one like Hyperfirm, MR, hasbro conversion, PVC build etc. And then a link to tutorials of people who did those, and/or combine them all into one main tutorial with small deviations to seperate parts.

Just throwing something in here. Apart from that, it's a friggin' awesome site :D

It's a great site and a great community, that's for sure.

I would like to see a pinned thread that would explain all the different armour options for people who need to acquire a kit for the first time, or even upgrade thir existing kit.

For example, a blow-by blow description of the differences between FX and RT-MOD, or the asymmetrical parts of the AP as opposed to the lovely sculpting work of the TM?

It needent be saying which is best - everyone has their faves, I'm sure, but a 'dummies guide' (no offence intended) to armour would be a great help. Same for E-11's, BFG's pistols etc.

The only thought I can think of is something to help the new people. BS.N has a set person to contact for basic armor info, explanation of the acronyms, etc. All the little bits to help people get started. I think something like that would be good for new people. The armor makers are hardly a secret. With the individual makers approval why not have a "newbie starting kit." A new person signs up on the forums, gets overwhelmed with info, but they can PM either a set person on the staff or any of the staff who send them "the kit" that gives them a basic overview and answers some of the most basic new questions and helps to keep from getting burned on ebay.

Thats what i am here for :P but i am sure that any newbie could send a pm to any member here and get the low down on the various sellers.

Maybe some armor-by-armor pages that sorts out the inconsistencies with the screen used armors and the 'crafted' ones?

For instance, I managed to scrape some info on the FX inconsistencies/inaccuracies, but it took me some dear time. The info surely is out there, but had to sift through a lot of posts to find out exactly why FX armor was inaccurate (most comments were on the helmet, and me having an MRCE it's not really something I care about :P)

Aaaand... I dunno just indexing things a bit more, like having a picture of 3 pics of E11 blasters, the ANH, ESB and ROTJ ones. Then a dropdown with different ways of obtaining one like Hyperfirm, MR, hasbro conversion, PVC build etc. And then a link to tutorials of people who did those, and/or combine them all into one main tutorial with small deviations to seperate parts.

Just throwing something in here. Apart from that, it's a friggin' awesome site :D

I think the way the site is set out at the moment seperating the different movie styles works well. Everything is contained in the relevant area for quick reference. I will look into adding a section or thread on how to improve the fx armour. After a little research you soon find out what you can do to make the standard fx look better.

It's a great site and a great community, that's for sure.

I would like to see a pinned thread that would explain all the different armour options for people who need to acquire a kit for the first time, or even upgrade thir existing kit.

For example, a blow-by blow description of the differences between FX and RT-MOD, or the asymmetrical parts of the AP as opposed to the lovely sculpting work of the TM?

It needent be saying which is best - everyone has their faves, I'm sure, but a 'dummies guide' (no offence intended) to armour would be a great help. Same for E-11's, BFG's pistols etc.

This infomation is available to cleared members in the 501st section. This may seem odd for some people who are new to the legion but this falls in line with the legion charter.