WHATS THE BEST WAY TO CUT THE PLASTIC?

I cant believe I am actually quoted from teh movie - Legally Blonde. "... bend... and SNAP!"

but on a serious note:

check out Daves garage video on you tube.

think it boils down to 4 techniques:

(1) dremel or rotary tool with cutting wheel

(2) score with a hobby knife and snap it

(3) tin snips or sharp hobby scissors specially made for model making

(4) good ole fashion scissors

all edges will have to be smoothened anyways. I personally used a combination of (1) and (2) on my FX. Recently added a tin snip into my building kit - so will prob use all optins 1 through to 3!! (I stopped using (4) when I got into real trouble by using the wife best pair of kitchen scissors to do armour)

they all work really

Nate

ps omg a woman! from England!!

pps sign up at UKG - sure there will be a wealth of local garrison guys and gals willing to help a new trooper!

I did my entire AP armour using a scalpel. NO sandpaper, no dremel.

All you have to remember is:

1. DRAW a pencil line to guide you first, then SCORE very lightly and slowly. This will make a groove that the next few scores will follow. SLOWLY is the key. If you slip, use something like the back of a spoonto rub the scratch down, adn it'll be hardly noticeable.

If you have trouble following a pencil line, stick insulation tape on the ABS and follow the edge of that.

(If you slip with a Dremel, it'll be harder to hide)

2. Bend gently along the line, until it goes easily. It should snap cleanly.

3. Use the blade at 90 degrees to the sharp edge of the plastic, and run it across two or 3 times. That should smooth the edges. You can of course use a little sandpaper, but try not to rub the glossy face of the armour too much.

If the plastic is too thick in places (and it will be often), bend it a tiny bit and runght blade dwon the bent groove, it'll soon become easier to bend and snap.

USE GREAT CAUTION witha scalpel. I slipped a number of times, the worst one nearly involved a 999 call, as when it cuts, it cuts deep! so be very careful, ok?

also, when you bend and snap, ensure the snap happens slowly and under control, don't let it thwack you in the face!

I cant believe I am actually quoted from teh movie - Legally Blonde. "... bend... and SNAP!"

but on a serious note:

check out Daves garage video on you tube.

think it boils down to 4 techniques:

(1) dremel or rotary tool with cutting wheel

(2) score with a hobby knife and snap it

(3) tin snips or sharp hobby scissors specially made for model making

(4) good ole fashion scissors

all edges will have to be smoothened anyways. I personally used a combination of (1) and (2) on my FX. Recently added a tin snip into my building kit - so will prob use all optins 1 through to 3!! (I stopped using (4) when I got into real trouble by using the wife best pair of kitchen scissors to do armour)

they all work really THANKS MATE X i will have to get a dremel and let rip and hope for the best hope its not going to be a chain saw massive LOL but thank you for your help i am going to need it i havnt even got my velcro yet Waah. x

Nate

ps omg a woman! from England!!

pps sign up at UKG - sure there will be a wealth of local garrison guys and gals willing to help a new trooper!

I did my entire AP armour using a scalpel. NO sandpaper, no dremel.

All you have to remember is:

1. DRAW a pencil line to guide you first, then SCORE very lightly and slowly. This will make a groove that the next few scores will follow. SLOWLY is the key. If you slip, use something like the back of a spoonto rub the scratch down, adn it'll be hardly noticeable.

If you have trouble following a pencil line, stick insulation tape on the ABS and follow the edge of that.

(If you slip with a Dremel, it'll be harder to hide)

2. Bend gently along the line, until it goes easily. It should snap cleanly.

3. Use the blade at 90 degrees to the sharp edge of the plastic, and run it across two or 3 times. That should smooth the edges. You can of course use a little sandpaper, but try not to rub the glossy face of the armour too much.

If the plastic is too thick in places (and it will be often), bend it a tiny bit and runght blade dwon the bent groove, it'll soon become easier to bend and snap.

USE GREAT CAUTION witha scalpel. I slipped a number of times, the worst one nearly involved a 999 call, as when it cuts, it cuts deep! so be very careful, ok?

also, when you bend and snap, ensure the snap happens slowly and under control, don't let it thwack you in the face!

OH I DONT WANT TO GO TO CASULTEY i wount be able to hold my blaster. Ok i think the bend and snap is a good idea i will give it ago also the pencil tip is a good idea thank you so much for your help it is fab to get it as i have not a clue.x

tam74005.jpg

Curved Scissors for Plastic to go near the line, then SANDPAPER SaNdPaPeR sandpaper :)

Clare

I've done two suits of armour with these from start to finish and never touched my Dremmel or scalpel once :)

One of the best buys that you'll ever make. :duim:

Thanks for the link Pete, I just bought a pair to try :D

I usually use heavy duty snips for cutting plastic, but I have to admit that cutting curves is very hard and these scisssors look great. I actually like my Dremel and use it with the sanding drum to sand away the plastic after I have cut close to my pencil lines with my snips. I then scrape off any excess with a razor blade which usually gives me a nice smooth finish. If not, then I use some sandpaper to make it smooth.

I just picked up a set of those scissors too. Thanks for the link Stuka. I had looked for those in my local area, but all the curved ones for sale around here are for sewing. One more tool to add to my arsenal.

I like the score and snap method myself, but the curves get tricky (the scissors will make those 10X easier I think). I mainly use my dremel for rounding off ANH strips or other such tasks. You can never have too many tools! :)

I've always used a Dremel with a diamond cutoff disc, but saw a documentary on Discovery Channel where the folks that make Bobby (UK Police) hats (Felt covered vacuformed ABS) actually use a bandsaw to rough cut and belt sander to shape (which I have used).

I never had much luck with the scoring and sissors methods, but to each his own. ;)