What other movies?

MandalorianWarrior87

What other movies do people really enjoy besides Star Wars?

For me, it has to be Blade Runner. Right up there with SW in my eyes.

I'm also a HUGE WWII movie fan. Love movies like Der Untergang, Letters from Iwo Jima, SPR, The Pianist, Stalingrad, Band Of Brothers, Flags of our Fathers, Die Letzten Tage and of course the new Valkyrie movie.

So, what other movies guys?

Star Trek (I know, I'm playing on both teams :P ). Not all of them, but generally speaking.

I've seen bits of Star Trek but never watched a whole episode i think. No point either, can't beat Star Wars :P

I have a 250+ DVD collection, so I have a few to pick from.....

This would have to be the pride of my collection

blade_runner_dvd.jpg

(Not a picture of my actual set)

I've seen bits of Star Trek but never watched a whole episode i think. No point either, can't beat Star Wars :P

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/sp..._runner_dvd.jpg

Watch Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. Nothing Star Trek will ever come as close to that level of awesome again.

blade_runner_dvd.jpg

I have that, but a year later I'm regretting it considering I have a PS3 now. That's a movie I'd like to have on BR.

I know not all of these are movies:

Blade Runner, Terminator movies, LOTR movies, Star Trek (shows and movies), The Fifth Element, Back to the Future movies, Gremlins movies, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, X-Files, Space Above and Beyond, Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick, Fight Club, Existenz, Ghostbusters movies, Tron, The Matrix movies, Aliens movies, The Crow, MIB, Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Batman movies, Snatch, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Tombstone, Predator, Donnie Darko. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead 1 &2, Dark City, Gattica, Stargate, The Thing, The Time Machine (original and remake), Day the Earth Stood Still (original). That’s all I want to list right now.

blade_runner_dvd.jpg

I'm looking at mine right now!

(I bought three of them, just so I could have one in each format)

:lol:

Highlander, ( I was in a celtic reeactment society, my friend and I learnt all the fights move for move) braveheart (cant get it outa my system) batman (only some) spiderman, hulk x men, bladerunner, unforgiven, Alien, bladerunner, all the good vietnam films, most clint eastwood ( but for different reasons) lord of the rings, actually as I start this list I realise I could go on and on and on

I'm also a HUGE WWII movie fan. Love movies like Der Untergang, Letters from Iwo Jima, SPR, The Pianist, Stalingrad, Band Of Brothers, Flags of our Fathers, Die Letzten Tage and of course the new Valkyrie movie.

Yeah me too, can't get enough. Flags of our Fathers was very taking, only regret that I saw it on a tiiiny screen on a flight. If you haven't seen it yet I recommend Das Boot, unless you are claustrophobic :). And the new movie Defiance isn't too bad either. Another good recent German movie, not WWII but cold war drama Das Leben der Anderen (The lives of others). I've also got some older ones on DVD, such as The Bridge at Remagen, Stalag 17, The Big Red One (with Mark Hamill nonetheless), Morituri (Marlon Brando and Yul Brunner trying to outshine each other :P)

SPR, what movie is that?

I may be the only one in the world with this opinion. I love Bladerunner, yes. I saw it the first time at the world Science Fiction convention in Chicago in like 81 or 82. My deal is-- I HATE the director's cut. Why can't I just buy the theatrical version by itself on DVD? I don't need 18,000 different versions. I loved the original. I loved that it was like an old detective movie with Harrison Ford's narration. A while back I let my girlfriend watch it. We only had the director's cut and she said it sucked. She could not understand what was going on and I have to agree with her. If you've never seen it and know nothing about it, the director's cut is awful. Too hard to understand. Now I know all you BR lover's are probably screaming Blasphemy right now, but which did YOU see first? Give me the original anyday.

Of current/recent movies, I would have to say my faves (apart from the original Star Wars) are the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. All my other favorite movies are old movies. When I say "old" movies I mean black and white... and in some cases silent. I'm particularly fond of the great old comedians like Chaplin, Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers and that lot. Those were from the days when people knew what being funny actually meant, unlike more recently where farting in a puddle would be the most humorous thing one could expect.

Although I don't count them among my favorites, I also enjoy much of the general sort of fantasy adventure kinds of things that are popular now - The Dark Knight, Iron Man, etc. I like the Harry Potter movies. I like almost anything by Pixar too, and stuff like Shrek, etc. Really, I like pretty much anything that appeals to the imagination without getting overly gross or gory. Gore doesn't bother me, it just doesn't progress a story any and I feel like it wastes my time.

Yes, I'm a movie snob. I'm proud of that fact.

I may be the only one in the world with this opinion. I love Bladerunner, yes. I saw it the first time at the world Science Fiction convention in Chicago in like 81 or 82. My deal is-- I HATE the director's cut. Why can't I just buy the theatrical version by itself on DVD? I don't need 18,000 different versions. I loved the original. I loved that it was like an old detective movie with Harrison Ford's narration. A while back I let my girlfriend watch it. We only had the director's cut and she said it sucked. She could not understand what was going on and I have to agree with her. If you've never seen it and know nothing about it, the director's cut is awful. Too hard to understand. Now I know all you BR lover's are probably screaming Blasphemy right now, but which did YOU see first? Give me the original anyday.

As a Blade Runner geek of the highest order. I know what you're saying. The Final Cut is my favourite, but a close second is the International Cut (the same as the US Theatrical cut, but with more violence.) :) I love the idea of the narration. I just think all the narration they recorded was a bit dire. Harrison didn't want to do it. Ridley didn't want it in the film, but Yorkin and Perenchio wanted it in there to explain things - and they held the purse strings. Like I say, I like the idea, just think if Ford and Scott had been down with the idea it would have been awesome instead of okay.

I know not all of these are movies:

Blade Runner, Terminator movies, LOTR movies, Star Trek (shows and movies), The Fifth Element, Back to the Future movies, Gremlins movies, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, X-Files, Space Above and Beyond, Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick, Fight Club, Existenz, Ghostbusters movies, Tron, The Matrix movies, Aliens movies, The Crow, MIB, Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Batman movies, Snatch, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Tombstone, Predator, Donnie Darko. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead 1 &2, Dark City, Gattica, Stargate, The Thing, The Time Machine (original and remake), Day the Earth Stood Still (original). That’s all I want to list right now.

Pretty much agree with all of these. I stopped counting my DVDs when I broke 400. Those value bins at Wal-Mart are evil I tell you!

In addition to what's already been put up: Blues Brothers, Bond movies, Bourne movies, The Departed (Scorcese version), Die Hard movies, Lethal Weapon movies, Fletch, Harry Potter, View Askew/Kevin Smith movies, Quentin Tarantino films, Sin City, El Mariachi/Desperado trilogy, Indiana Jones, High Fidelity, Starship Troopers, Princess Bride..... The list just goes on and on and on...

Another recent sci-fi I really enjoyed was Sunshine.

Also, did anyone mention Transformers? Can't wait till the next one this summer! I grew up on SW, Transformers and GI Joe (another soon to be movie!!)... It must be all us 30-somethings making movies from our childhood afternoon cartoon favs huh?

Anime of all kinds, Star trek TOS & movie on of the next gen crap for me lol, The rise & fall of Ziggy Stardust, The Spider-Man movies.....The 3rd was trash!, The big lebowski, Hulk Vs Thor/Wolverine lol,

And a whole list of moives odds are no one on the FISD would be interested in knowing lol.

If you haven't seen it yet I recommend Das Boot, unless you are claustrophobic :).

Don't know how i forgot that one tbh. Great movie. I love it when Werner says "Fresh air is good for you Johann" but he doesn't like it, lol. Some great quotes in that movie.

Also forgot the Bourne movies, they're really good.

I'm not sure which version of BR i like the most. but watched the Workprint version last night and i think it makes a little more sense that the Directors Cut. It's little things like when Deckard looks at the photo on the Esper machine and says "Zhora or Pris?"

I'm not really a fan of Deckards commentary either, sounds like Harrison Ford didn't really wanna do it, lol.

The Terminator movies (Bring on the new one!!), the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Matrix trilogy, The Underworld series, and certain select Star Trek movies for me! Oh, and as a history nerd, Wyatt Earp isn't too shabby. Of course, that's w/o going through my hideously expansive collection of DVDs, and I'm not feeling ambitious enough to do that right now... :P

Another recent sci-fi I really enjoyed was Sunshine.

Also, did anyone mention Transformers? Can't wait till the next one this summer! I grew up on SW, Transformers and GI Joe (another soon to be movie!!)... It must be all us 30-somethings making movies from our childhood afternoon cartoon favs huh?

I loved Transformers. Giant robots smashing stuff, what's not to love?! Plus, you've gotta love a movie that blows out the theaters subwoofer. :D Can't wait for #2. Of course, I also loved the 80's cartoon. Not sure about GI Joe though, could be really good, could be really bad.... Regardless I'll be there.