ROTJ helmet decal interest list!

TK-4510

I thought ROTJ decals were the same as ESB.

Very different. I always thought the shade was just a lighter blue.

Now that we have GREAT reference photos, TK-4510 may have to rethink the color sample bar that he provided early.

Mesa thinks that the color is more purple-ish than a blue... :huh:

But what do I know...nothing. I'll leave it up to the young master. ;)

T :salute:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very different. I always thought the shade was just a lighter blue.

Now that we have GREAT reference photos, TK-4510 may have to rethink the color sample bar that he provided early.

Mesa thinks that the color is more purple-ish than a blue... :huh:

But what do I know...nothing. I'll leave it up to the young master. ;)

Id be careful with photos though, they have a tendancy to make things look different then they really are depending on the quality of the camera, the lighting, the flash, the quality of the photo itself.

Here are pics from SWH.com of the ROTJ suit 3 different angles and the colors on the decals look different every time.

st1-sheffield2a.jpg

jfirthaosw2.jpg

jfirthaosw1.jpg

correct me if im wrong but wasnt the same company that did the decals for ESB do them for ROTJ? Why would they make up a totally new color?

Im still going to say i think they are the same blue-grey as the ESB i dont see why they would change them....again.

Great photos Jonathan. Thanks for posting those.

I sees what you mean.

I guess TK-4510 may just have to take that 2 1/2 hour drive after all... :rolleyes:

Can't believe I'm getting excited about an ROTJ bucket. :o

"Id be careful with photos though, they have a tendancy to make things look different then they really are depending on the quality of the camera, the lighting, the flash, the quality of the photo itself.

Here are pics from SWH.com of the ROTJ suit 3 different angles and the colors on the decals look different every time."

That is true, digital cameras automatically adjust the white balance every time you take a photo. But after reviewing the photos i think it is pretty spot on, these look to be the best reference photos out there for the decals.

I thought ROTJ decals were the same as ESB.

Deathstar's helmets have ESB decals if I'm not wrong (background helmets). Same thing for ears and mic tips.

Helmets from Endor are a little different ("ugly" ears, other decals and machined mic tips with a piece of white foam inside, like the Tour Suit helmet)

People, correct me if I'm wrong ^^

I talked with Brian today over at Profiles in History and I will be viewing the helmet soon. I will get those colors and settle the mystery for good. It took alot of talking but I get 10 minutes to view the helmet. I will take my camera but I am not sure if I will be allowed to take pics. If not then Johns are excellent anyway. The auction isnt until October and they estimate the price of the helmet to be in the $30-50,000.00 range. Anyone wanna go in on it? say 20-30 of us at $1500.00 a piece :) lol!!!

I talked with Brian today over at Profiles in History and I will be viewing the helmet soon. I will get those colors and settle the mystery for good. It took alot of talking but I get 10 minutes to view the helmet. I will take my camera but I am not sure if I will be allowed to take pics. If not then Johns are excellent anyway. The auction isnt until October and they estimate the price of the helmet to be in the $30-50,000.00 range. Anyone wanna go in on it? say 20-30 of us at $1500.00 a piece :) lol!!!

Sounds like a great opportunity Mike you lucky guy!!!

Also a chance to switch the helmet like James Bond did with that Faberge egg in Octopussy :D

Mike, are they letting you take photos!?

Just a hopeful thought! :)

I think Mike said:

It took alot of talking but I get 10 minutes to view the helmet. I will take my camera but I am not sure if I will be allowed to take pics.

This is all very exciting! :D:duim:

Awesome, just awesome!

If they don't let you take photos, the photos Bill posted are the best I've ever seen. Remember to bring your color book! Just match the swatches with the color you are looking at.

I know we'll all trust your eyes as you are looking at an original and know what to look for.

As said above, if you could check the frown and chin for glossy or matte, that'd be just excellent.

Finally, are you going to bring these decals out with an MRCE cut? I'd surely appreciate that.

Now I am officially excited. :D

I dunno how close I will be allowed to get. I hope he lets me do everything I need to do in those 10 minutes. I hope the lighting is good too or it will be tough. I could do an MR CE as well... Good Idea.

Mike i got your ESB decals today, they should hold me over till you get these ROTJ decals going.

The ROTJ decals should be a slightly bluer tint then the ESB ones and a little darker.

plenty of good reference photos on http://www.starwarshelmets.com/

Put me on the list.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys. I went to see the helmet today. But I didnt go to the Profiles in History studios like I originally said I was. The guy informed me that they would be bringing the helmet to Comic-Con so I only needed to wait a few weeks.

The lighting was horrible BUT I can verify that the ROTJ decals are NOT purple nor are they blue. In fact it looks like our research on the ESB decals proves that they are very similar in color. Here is my ESB decals side by side with the ROTJ helmets decals.

The lighting as well as the camera wanting to constantly white balance can fool your eye in pictures. But there is no arguing that the ESB decals DO come VERY VERY close to the gray on the ROTJ helmet. In person I was shocked to see how close we had come to the correct color. Its almost exactly the same. The ROTJ decals are matte however as they should be...

Also, I believe we nailed the tube stripe color on the ESB and the ROTJ.

100_9614.jpg

100_9615.jpg

Not only is there a ROTJ helmet on display at the Profiles in History booth but also another on display at the London Prop Store booth along with a ROTJ tie fighter helmet!!! I was overwhelmed!!

The official PMS color for the ROTJ helmets tears and traps is a custom mix just slightly LIGHTER and COOLER than PANTONE 431.

Joe. I was able to inspect both helmets under the chins vocoder area and they are definitely satin black all the way. It may be the age of these helmets but the color is consistent.

The tears and traps appear to be screen printed on black vinyl material and possibly cut out by hand!!! The tube stripes ARE different than the ESB's in that the edges are left white and not cut off. I also noticed that there is what appears to be a dark acetate or mylar material behind the teeth. Also notice that the brow trim has the characteristic lines that are in the seals direct brow trim we have been using for a while now so I guess that makes the direct seals the most accurate :) I was totally geeked boys!!

100_9616.jpg

100_9617.jpg

100_9618.jpg

100_9619.jpg

100_9620.jpg

100_9621.jpg

Wow that's pretty amazing! Should we revisit the EIB standards? Right now they say:

ESB: Should be ANH grey or a slightly bluer shade of ANH gray.

ROTJ : Slate blue traps/tears instead of ANH grey.

Amazing work Mike. You are a star!

I have a sample of the neck trim from my Jedi helmet, so if anyone knows how to make a tooling for a reasonable cost we can do movie accurate neck trim to. Drop me a pm if anyone is interested.

Joe

Amazing work Mike. You are a star!

I have a sample of the neck trim from my Jedi helmet, so if anyone knows how to make a tooling for a reasonable cost we can do movie accurate neck trim to. Drop me a pm if anyone is interested.

Joe

What the hell!! how come I did not see this before. Great stuff Mike, thanks so much for the pics :salute:

Cheers

A