Recruit from Michigan, reporting in.

SublimeBW

Good morning gang!

I have always loved Star Wars, plain and simple. I love the story, the esthetics, the lore, the expanded universe; all of it...  When I  learned of the 501st I knew there were be a day I would join the numbers, it was just a matter of when (time, money, all that jazz). During a recent outing to a zoo, I explained what the organization was and how one day I would like to join and my wife give me the thumbs up to proceed so here I am!

Originally, I was split between a 5555s/Fives build and a standard Stormtrooper but after asking around I found that starting with the Stormtrooper is likely the correct path (easier build, more cost effective, likely more troopings are applicable).

I do have a question as to when I should purchase my kit. I am 5'9" and currently 185 lbs but am going to be dropping some weight (goal is ~165 - 170, started ~198 in August) so I wasn't sure how "fitting" the kits run. Is it better to wait, drop the weight and measure or is there enough leeway in the suits (once assembled) to account for some weight fluctuation?  

Hi Brian and welcome to the FISD.

Your weight can vary with you still fitting into the armor. The cover strips on legs and arms can be made wider for this.

However, if loosing weight is your aim, I would suggest to wait with building until your goal is reached.

You could use the meantime to study this forum, order tools for the build, or you could tackle the blaster build during your weight loss.

Enjoy your Stormtrooper journey. ;)

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, T-Jay said:

Hi Brian and welcome to the FISD.

Your weight can vary with you still fitting into the armor. The cover strips on legs and arms can be made wider for this.

However, if loosing weight is your aim, I would suggest to wait with building until your goal is reached.

You could use the meantime to study this forum, order tools for the build, or you could tackle the blaster build during your weight loss.

Enjoy your Stormtrooper journey. ;)

Thanks for the input. I didn't think about the blaster build and gather tools; I like that idea. It will allow me to continue on the build journey without worrying about the impact of the weight loss. Great suggestion!

• Like 1

If you are building the armor yourself, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the kit ordered now anyway imo. You are likely looking at a 10+ week wait on delivery and you can build the helmet once the kit gets here. That is the most time consuming part.

Hi Brian. Welcome to FISD...I think you can order the kit while you lose weight.:duim:

You can start(while you lose weight;)) with the TD, button plates, helmet, gloves, blaster... And also, while your kit arrives, you can research on the forum...There are millions of terabytes of information.:laugh1:

• Like 2

Hello and welcome to the forum, here is a great thread full of helpful links and info which may help you on your way

Welcome aboard.  I agree with the crowd here.  Order now and fill you're time with all the other parts, blaster, detonator, gloves, etc.  Sometimes it takes a while for your kit to arrive. Once you are happy with your weight get started on the suit itself. Congrats on the weight loss so far. You're almost there.

Thanks for the encouragement gang! 

I am debating on the best place to order my ANH Stunt kit and it seems that RP Propmasters is going to be the likely winner as the site I have been to, it is the most clear on what you get and visible pricing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SublimeBW said:

Thanks for the encouragement gang! 

I am debating on the best place to order my ANH Stunt kit and it seems that RP Propmasters is going to be the likely winner as the site I have been to, it is the most clear on what you get and visible pricing.

You can also check out some of the build threads, you will find many have the makers name in the title and add images of what they receive ;) 

Hi Brian,
Welcome to 501st and FISD.
Not a great deal to add after all the other replies, other than to add it's a great motivator having an assembled helmet and blaster on display keeping you going with the build and the weight loss; I say this from experience!
Good luck with everything, post lots of questions and pictures, and looking forward to seeing your build thread and pics from your first troop.
Rich