Echo327 ATA works ANH Stunt Build Thread

echo327

So here it is! My kit is being packaged and shipped as we speak. In anticipation for my BBB I figured I'd start my build thread. I was able to go to my first troop last weekend at a local comic book fest and see how thing are done. This was a great experience! TK55933 showed me the ropes and I think I'm going to love every minute of this ride!

A little background on me. I have always wanted to be a trooper, but I've also always been unable to do this due to my weight. On July 30th of last year I had Gastric Sleeve surgery. This saved my life. Being obese led to high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and pre diabetes. My BMI was 41 and there were nights I didn't think I would wake up. Now I'm a year out from surgery and I've lost 120 pounds and I haven't felt this good since the late 90's! Now that I'm at perfect trooper weight it's time to join the ranks. I set myself a goal during this whole thing. To join the 501st. Today officially starts that goal being a reality!

BeforAfter.jpg.417ae4e4e3a6ef76a8c2b515af9a579d.jpg

I knew my kit was being made and I got a little excited and couldn't sit still. So I started 3D printing my E-11 Blaster. 

20190708_090019.jpg.05bc4f0f810af1bc5e47a3bf8fcb493a.jpg

With a little luck I should be able to post some pics this weekend. I welcome all suggestions and look forward to bombarding all of you with questions! 

Thank you all for helping make my dream come true!

• Like 3

Hi Erick,  Amazing background ! , hoping to see your building thread and photos .

Fell free to ask whatever , here's a lot of info and great people willing to help the future troopers to reach their goals.

cheers.

Woohoo! Congratulations on both your kit order and your health! Welcome to FISD. :D

Post lots of pictures! Tons of great people here with expertise to share. And we all like watching TKs getting put together. 

Have fun and enjoy the build!

First day of actual cutting. Started with the shoulder bells and drop boxes. These seemed to be the least nerve wracking. Here we go people!9d30b02aa6a2431dc8072cb475ef2cd7.jpg6933b7ad1dcc3956a59e0fac68b74ffb.jpg7b13ea182e3b8a4721584883d9a7f3fd.jpg8e9294b7dccb632d8d5232e23032d859.jpg6c24677dbcf199bb3038146e51228bde.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

First step PANIC, then settle down once you've made your first cut. When ever in doubt check the gallery section, a lot of great references there.

Good luck with the build. 

• Like 1

Great work so far!  Just take it slow, be precise, and don't sweat it too much :) Once you get over the nerves of the first dozen cuts or so it starts being like a second nature!

That E-11 print looks really cool; where'd you get the model? :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alay said:

Great work so far!  Just take it slow, be precise, and don't sweat it too much :) Once you get over the nerves of the first dozen cuts or so it starts being like a second nature!

That E-11 print looks really cool; where'd you get the model? :)

Thanks! I think I'm finally feeling confident with my cuts. Here's where I got the E-11 prints. I only had to modify 2 parts to fit my 6x6x6 printing area. 

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:957801/

• Like 1

So I decided to start on the bucket. I gotta tell you my nerves got the best of me. I muscled through it and I think it came out pretty good. Still gotta touch up some things but all in all I'm happy with it. Using the dremmel on the eyes was alot easier than I thought it was going to be. Till next time.7dbb5aa2b71936e65180ea0e4d824aa4.jpg0d6f8a1d146b5a6a07f5af06fb3dd0ee.jpgd62a5149a30230f4be5b81030cfc8df4.jpge7f4d21785ae7b1d0aab916c105fa585.jpgea5af98aa77ce4efd3e28748583fd7b7.jpg

39 minutes ago, Coastertk said:

You’re going to remove the 4th tooth on either side right? Stunt have 4 teeth holes each side. Hero helmets have 3 each side. 

Definitely. The teeth aren't quite where I want them yet. Some filing and shaping left to do. 

• Like 1

Finally started gluing something together! I really feel like I'm flying blind but its coming along nicely. I just keep checking reference pictures and other build threads until I'm satisfied and then move forward.d418304492833e59c31ab64700f6197b.jpg74a2deb7d144de189c62e549cea90dc7.jpge032649991ea8e6e6361dec0c7ddda0a.jpg

• Like 1

Keep doing what you are doing Erick, and before you know it, you will be an approved TK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I noticed you still have a lot of return edge on the forearm. The rule is “none” at the wrist side. 

Also as a note about the shins before you get to them. Be sure to test fit with your boots and undersuit on. The left shin from ATA has been known to fit a little snug. 

Looking great so far. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coastertk said:

The rule is “none” at the wrist side

Just to clarify: No return edge at the wrist ends of the forearms is a Centurion requirement only. With that said, it´s always a good idea to remove it for comfort and fit.

• Like 1

Nice job so far, Eric!  Something you could think about before gluing the other side of the forearms together is that there is quite a bit of return edge on both ends, and they look a little ragged.  Removing it all is not a requirement for Basic approval, but I would suggest trimming them down (before gluing) for 2 reasons:

1.  If you will be (hopefully) aiming for level 2 or above, removing all the return edges from the wrist side will be necessary.  If you glue it first, when you go to trim them down the openings will be a lot wider.  Too wide in most cases.

2.  Removing them (at least at the top) will help prevent "armor bite", which is when the edges cut into you while you bend your arms (which will be a LOT).  I am including some photos of screen used armor to give you a better idea of what I mean.

Reference images                                                                                                                                                                               

Fy4A1cx.jpg  fxnMt0q.jpg?1  RrI91Na.jpg?1

Reference images

ErsQTIX.jpg   

Some folks like the look of return edges, which give the armor a "thicker" look, but depending on the particular piece these can be an issue for some.  For instance, trimming all the edge off of the bottom of the shoulder bells will allow them to ride closer to the bicep.

QBYQQ7M.jpg?1

Keep up the great work and keep those photos coming!

• Like 2

Nice job so far, Eric!  Something you could think about before gluing the other side of the forearms together is that there is quite a bit of return edge on both ends, and they look a little ragged.  Removing it all is not a requirement for Basic approval, but I would suggest trimming them down (before gluing) for 2 reasons:

1.  If you will be (hopefully) aiming for level 2 or above, removing all the return edges from the wrist side will be necessary.  If you glue it first, when you go to trim them down the openings will be a lot wider.  Too wide in most cases.

2.  Removing them (at least at the top) will help prevent "armor bite", which is when the edges cut into you while you bend your arms (which will be a LOT).  I am including some photos of screen used armor to give you a better idea of what I mean.

Reference images                                                                                                                                                                               
Fy4A1cx.jpg&key=0101b5ee57ddb079854e2e0a530d2a44998d2bfef526d51fffe68593463b2216  fxnMt0q.jpg?1&key=c672707e01497d1498abe5c75abef890b7b3c0ccba5bab4e902b7353a3994c11  RrI91Na.jpg?1&key=8fc2913f6bf8aeda9746f649a039605aa673ff2caa6815ef2af6b40c70d52425
                                                                                                        Reference images

ErsQTIX.jpg&key=20eb03dea1b391884ae615e6f9f4f915e39b5f104502f514abdcba802de98171   

Some folks like the look of return edges, which give the armor a "thicker" look, but depending on the particular piece these can be an issue for some.  For instance, trimming all the edge off of the bottom of the shoulder bells will allow them to ride closer to the bicep.

QBYQQ7M.jpg?1&key=269e2efad392511eb620380b00d7469a2b2d79ef99c3fd167b1d468343c588c4

Keep up the great work and keep those photos coming!
Thank you for all the great info! I was planning on trimming the return edges off on the forearms. My feeling about return edges is this. I like the way they look but I'm not going to compromise comfort. I have zero experience wearing these kinds of things so, I figured I'd keep some return edge and see how it all comes together and how it fits. After that I can cut more off if needed. Please correct me if my thinking is flawed. Also I have a question about the forearms. Do I just glue the other side or can I use velcro to make it easier to put on? Thanks again for taking the time. It's really appreciated.

Not a problem, Erick!  Those on here that know me know that I am not a fan of return edges in most places on armor.  As I mentioned above, it looks cool, but at the price (in most cases) of comfort/mobility.

The reason you should do it before you glue is that the openings will be too large if you choose to do it afterward.  Trust me on this one.  You don't want them jangling around on your arms/legs, and it just looks awful.  You should be able to fit about 3 fingers between your wrist opening and wrist, and about 3-4 on the top opening and wrist

The same goes for the thighs.  The originals had no (or very little) return edges on the tops.  Keeping those on the tops can lead to some serious chafing, especially in your uh... let's say "cod" area while walking. 

L5JM3bb.jpg?1   B1JTZSV.jpg?1

And the sides of the chest/back plates:

waUUutB.jpg?3    dqzYpb4.jpg?1

I would not recommend using Velcro on your forearms.  If you leave just enough room to slide them on your arms you will be good to go.  Gloves are put on last, and then tucked into the opening.  I'm not saying can't do it, and it may pass Basic approval (depending on your GML) but not higher levels, which I hope you will be aiming for.

Keep the questions and photos coming!

• Like 1