TKModder421

My first build!! ANOVOS ANH stunt TK

3 hours ago, Bud Spaklur said:

Glad you went this route. It’s similar to what I did and I found the welding shield lenses to be more durable and “realistic”. I felt a stormtrooper couldn’t protect his/her eyes with flimsy acetate plastic!

You did a nice, clean job on your lens mounting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah I agree about welding shield lenses! The lens that mine came with was the thick welding style plastic luckily so I didn't have to buy new lens material, I was able to reuse what it came with. 

Yeah thank you, I really like the way they turned out! I'm excited to see what they look like once I get it all darkened with Plastidip.

Oh yeah I agree about welding shield lenses! The lens that mine came with was the thick welding style plastic luckily so I didn't have to buy new lens material, I was able to reuse what it came with. 
Yeah thank you, I really like the way they turned out! I'm excited to see what they look like once I get it all darkened with Plastidip.

How was it working with that plasticweld stuff? I used Sugru and found it to be a bit greasy. I got black fingerprints all over the bucket when I was working on it. Have you considered lining the inside with Velcro instead of plastidip? It’s a bit more expensive since you have to line the whole helmet, but I love being able to move everything around inside, anywhere I need to. The helmet gets crowded depending on what you put inside. A lot of guys use hardhat inserts too, instead of padding. Something to consider.

1 hour ago, Bud Spaklur said:

How was it working with that plasticweld stuff? I used Sugru and found it to be a bit greasy. I got black fingerprints all over the bucket when I was working on it. Have you considered lining the inside with Velcro instead of plastidip? It’s a bit more expensive since you have to line the whole helmet, but I love being able to move everything around inside, anywhere I need to. The helmet gets crowded depending on what you put inside. A lot of guys use hardhat inserts too, instead of padding. Something to consider.

It was fairly easy to work with actually. Kind of like dry, thick clay, but it stunk. The instructions said to wear gloves so I heeded their warning. It was a little sticky with the nitrile gloves, but I just used a little water and it kept it pretty workable. And then after it has cured it still has a bit of flexibility to it.

I considered using Sugru but I decided I liked the look of a mounting area around the eyes, wanted to give it more of a functional look I guess.

I haven't even heard of lining the inside with velcro! I assume you mean line the inside with the soft "loop" side so you can attach the "hook" side to the padding? That sounds interesting (and possibly more comfortable). I was just going to reinstall strips of velcro, how the ANOVOS TK helmets come pre-built and possibly just supplement the padding that came with it. The thing is I've never done any trooping before so I'm not familiar with what I'd be most comfortable with, such as if I'll want to put things in the helmet, like fans or whatever.

At this point I've already taped up my bucket and have applied a few coats of flat white enamel to the inside (for a whitening layer) in anticipation of applying the Plastidip. So hopefully that doesn't cause me any attachment issues regardless of how much velcro I put in there. Whoops! I forgot about that. :wacko:

• Like 1

It was fairly easy to work with actually. Kind of like dry, thick clay, but it stunk. The instructions said to wear gloves so I heeded their warning. It was a little sticky with the nitrile gloves, but I just used a little water and it kept it pretty workable. And then after it has cured it still has a bit of flexibility to it.

I considered using Sugru but I decided I liked the look of a mounting area around the eyes, wanted to give it more of a functional look I guess.

I haven't even heard of lining the inside with velcro! I assume you mean line the inside with the soft "loop" side so you can attach the "hook" side to the padding? That sounds interesting (and possibly more comfortable). I was just going to reinstall strips of velcro, how the ANOVOS TK helmets come pre-built and possibly just supplement the padding that came with it. The thing is I've never done any trooping before so I'm not familiar with what I'd be most comfortable with, such as if I'll want to put things in the helmet, like fans or whatever.

At this point I've already taped up my bucket and have applied a few coats of flat white enamel to the inside (for a whitening layer) in anticipation of applying the Plastidip. So hopefully that doesn't cause me any attachment issues regardless of how much velcro I put in there. Whoops! I forgot about that. default_wacko.png

The white enamel you put inside shouldn’t prevent you from using Velcro should you want to. Here are a couple pics of my helmet (I’ll spare you trying to find that part of my build- 37 page thread). First pic is when I had only two fans, a power bank, and a Bluetooth mic:

9175bd6253ea149037d376bb57cec616.jpg&key=9fce8c677006acd6387ad9986029affacd443f5f9e420c267a9fe2e81d345228

This second pic is after putting another pair of fans and another power bank inside:

4380f0bffa386529d5032ad014dd9995.jpg&key=f7b63ffed573b64b9fe970e8ff67d3c9bd206656005b2f00ff34b6343a9ccb7b

The four power buttons for the fans sit just up on the chin. I used industrial strength Velcro from Joann Fabrics. The stuff sticks really well. I sent you a pm with a link to a 1-minute video of my helmet. Hope it helps.

The more you see on here, the better decisions you can make when configuring your bucket.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bud Spaklur said:

The white enamel you put inside shouldn’t prevent you from using Velcro should you want to. Here are a couple pics of my helmet (I’ll spare you trying to find that part of my build- 37 page thread). First pic is when I had only two fans, a power bank, and a Bluetooth mic:
9175bd6253ea149037d376bb57cec616.jpg

This second pic is after putting another pair of fans and another power bank inside:
4380f0bffa386529d5032ad014dd9995.jpg

The four power buttons for the fans sit just up on the chin. I used industrial strength Velcro from Joann Fabrics. The stuff sticks really well.

Oh dang! Yeah I like that!

Looks like fans are gonna be a necessity. I guess I should probably try and consider that into my build

• Like 1

Oh dang! Yeah I like that!

Looks like fans are gonna be a necessity. I guess I should probably try and consider that into my build

Yes, you need at least two fans in my opinion. They not only help keep you cool, but help prevent the lenses from fogging up. I get really annoying and irritable when I get hot, so I opted for four fans! Lol

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bud Spaklur said:

Yes, you need at least two fans in my opinion. They not only help keep you cool, but help prevent the lenses from digging up. I get really annoying and irritable when I get hot, so I opted for four fans! Lol

Haha, ok I guess that's now part of the plan ;)

So I had taped up my helmet in preparation of darkening the inside with Plastidip and had already sprayed it with several coats of flat white enamel to add a whitening layer to the thin ABS before applying the black Plastidip when Matt gave me some good ideas of other good options to think about. He suggested applying velcro to the full interior. I really like this idea not only for ease of positioning of padding but also for comfort. I'm still weighing my options, but I think I may try a hybrid version of the two. Just gotta work through how I wanna do that.

Helmet taped and coated with white enamel.

YrEnZ0Cl.jpg

• Like 1

So after considering my options I decided to go ahead and apply the Plastidip to the inside of helmet. Later I'm going to attach velcro as needed for padding and eventually to attach electronics (fans, etc.).

Ended up using a full can to coat the inside of the cap and face plate.

4EXhSlcm.jpg  TE3fmUWm.jpg

I wasn't sure if I wanted to just go with just the bare lenses on top of the mounts or if I wanted to use the ABS I cut before to make rims around the lenses. 

They look pretty good like this.

vH9s1KBl.jpg

I decided to make the rims and just see if I liked it. I decided to paint them silver

C5osbVYm.jpg  B1WGcvim.jpg

While that was drying I hot glued the screen into place over the frown and cut out an adhesive foam rubber border to hide the edges

q6LA9bCl.jpg

The next day I mounted them. I decided it gave it a more sophisticated look

4Gsd1znl.jpg

Xy75nQBl.jpg

And it's all back together (minus the rubber trim)

SSpclyhl.jpg

• Like 2

Nice job.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking good Greg. What did you use to screw in the lenses? I am doing the same with my bucket as a future project and haven't found a way to secure the lenses that I like.

Looking good Greg. What did you use to screw in the lenses? I am doing the same with my bucket as a future project and haven't found a way to secure the lenses that I like.

FYI, some of us have used Sugru (a putty that is moldable and dries like a hard rubber) and put screw posts in it so they dry in place. Then, once the Sugru dries, you can mount the lenses in and screw them in with acorn nuts. I did this for my bucket.

Others have used different plastic putties, but I cannot speak to those.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kaar121 said:

Thanks James! I see you're in Utah too?

I picked up 6, 1/4" outer diameter threaded aluminum spacers and found black machine screws that I liked with the same threading at Ace Hardware and carefully bored wholes in the Plasticweld mounts with a 1/4" bit.

cHFKMeJ.jpg

After applying the black plastidip the holes were a little smaller so the spacers fit in there nice and tight, I was considering gluing them in but they were so snug and the lenses are already curved so there wasn't any additional flexing that is going to cause them to pull out (from what I can tell at this point anyway.

DfifBrCm.jpg?1  2WZteoHm.jpg?1  M8kJoAem.jpg?1

I also considered the Sugru route like Matt used and they're both great options. I just liked how I was able to do additional sculpting to the Plasticweld to make the mounts look like a molded part of the eye sockets.

If you have any other questions about it feel free to ask or even message me directly.

• Like 2

Thanks James! I see you're in Utah too?
I picked up 6, 1/4" outer diameter threaded aluminum spacers and found black machine screws that I liked with the same threading at Ace Hardware and carefully bored wholes in the Plasticweld mounts with a 1/4" bit.
cHFKMeJ.jpg&key=8a250ddda7804742ae21a099a57321ea0775c5bfb8c1cf39c58fe2f3bd85cbe0

After applying the black plastidip the holes were a little smaller so the spacers fit in there nice and tight, I was considering gluing them in but they were so snug and the lenses are already curved so there wasn't any additional flexing that is going to cause them to pull out (from what I can tell at this point anyway.
DfifBrCm.jpg?1&key=2cc5a604c044262e78a4bad15746d899e72afce2f0f731f4aebded1c2c53e8da  2WZteoHm.jpg?1&key=bfee06db9165c0c03ed4b3c7407d37209550eba40073c85e2dc82fa6988cdc5b  M8kJoAem.jpg?1&key=f421c351eaa9945257fa2ee759720a6b4d638e520d31aefbc2e249f8e310ed15

I also considered the Sugru route like Matt used and they're both great options. I just liked how I was able to do additional sculpting to the Plasticweld to make the mounts look like a molded part of the eye sockets.
If you have any other questions about it feel free to ask or even message me directly.

Your helmet interior, lenses, and mounting came out DAMN good! Good work.

Perfect! Thanks Greg, there is an Ace just up the street from me. I too am using Platicweld. I read a HowTo on bucket lenses a year or two ago,

It seemed simple enough and I have all materials needed save for a way to mount the lenses.

Anywho, I hope to see you at a troop sometime before you finish your armor.

Perfect! Thanks Greg, there is an Ace just up the street from me. I too am using Platicweld. I read a HowTo on bucket lenses a year or two ago,

It seemed simple enough and I have all materials needed save for a way to mount the lenses.
Anywho, I hope to see you at a troop sometime before you finish your armor.

Yeah that's the same tutorial I used for my mounts! That's where I got the idea for the threaded spacers.
Yeah I hope to see you around too. I was gonna try and go to some events as a handler before I finish my armor, to try to get to know people in the community
  • Like 1

Alright I'm waiting to receive my undersuit so I can start making fitment choices. In the meantime I'm doing some quick size-ups with the arms first. I know I'm going to have to trim down the extremities just like a 1/2"-1". So my first question is how do I want the forearms to fit lengthwise?

Here are some pics:

micfjCFl.jpg 

I was thinking of trimming it at the red line.

QGkcHz2l.jpg

HtML1Jtl.jpg

Thoughts??

I would tape up the bicep as well and strap them together to see how it works before making any Cuts:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheSwede said:

I would tape up the bicep as well and strap them together to see how it works before making any Cuts:)

Good idea!! Do you recommend just a temp strap with tape cut to the right strapping length?

1 minute ago, TKModder421 said:

Good idea!! Do you recommend just a temp strap with tape cut to the right strapping length?

Yep:duim: 

2waTUf4.jpg

• Like 1

Also, you probably want to have on an undersuit so you get the closest, most accurate sense of the fit. I just used lots of painters tape to hold pieces together instead of strapping which worked when fitting it.

• Like 1