TKModder421

My first build!! ANOVOS ANH stunt TK

Can be normal on pieces that don't lay completely flat, many surfaces have a curve to them, I have a couple of pieces which look the same, I do try however to tape down as much as possible to reduce the gap while assembling but even that doesn't always work.

It would be very hard to see while wearing and in photos so personally I'd leave it.

• Like 1

Alright, time to update this thread :P

I finished up the cover strips on the forearms and biceps as well as added some to the inside to further reinforce the joins

XAZAORkm.jpg  7sFPrzwm.jpg  rQ46tKkm.jpg 

or7sr1sm.jpg  NnVkM1dm.jpg 

Biceps

IVV1pQam.jpg  floZe4bm.jpg 

7z1H9cnm.jpg  sYh527km.jpg 

Inner cover strips

7eqQ8tzm.jpg  CGHwra2m.jpg 

R5Q0uwfm.jpg  2M4A1Kmm.jpg 

Arms all done!!

2CLBYgC.jpg?1

• Like 1

My next moves are gonna be on the thighs. My concern is that the thighs are awfully large... well, tbh I've got really skinny chicken legs :P

How much should I be trimming them down? Any good threads on fitting for thin legs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TKModder421 said:

My next moves are gonna be on the thighs. My concern is that the thighs are awfully large... well, tbh I've got really skinny chicken legs :P

How much should I be trimming them down? Any good threads on fitting for thin legs?

I feel your pain here Greg, as a fellow skinny chicken leg trooper lol.

I trimmed the front haves first so the cover strip covered the front ridge on the two halves. My cover strips are 20mm wide so left 10mm of the ridge on each half at the front. I then tape them together and while wearing my under suit put my leg through each thigh and slid it all the way up as high as it would go. The next step is easy if you have a second person helping. Overlap the two halves at the back and  mark a center point of the overlapping halves, both at the top and bottom of the thigh. Tape them with those pencil marks aligned and have a look from the front to see if you have a nice taper in the thigh shape. What you want is a taper in the shape (wider at the top and narrower at the knee end. Take the thighs off and have a look, if you are happy with the shape draw a line from the top pencil mark to the bottom on each half and that is your trim line.

What I did from there was add an extra 10mm plus per side out towards the edge and create a new trim line and cut the excess material away. I did this so if something went wrong the cut the thighs were slightly larger and I could re adjust and re trim if needed.

Hope that makes sense, usually I have a set of armour here I am building for someone and I would quickly mock it up and take some example photos, but currently I dont sorry.

11 hours ago, Sly11 said:

I feel your pain here Greg, as a fellow skinny chicken leg trooper lol.

I trimmed the front haves first so the cover strip covered the front ridge on the two halves. My cover strips are 20mm wide so left 10mm of the ridge on each half at the front. I then tape them together and while wearing my under suit put my leg through each thigh and slid it all the way up as high as it would go. The next step is easy if you have a second person helping. Overlap the two halves at the back and  mark a center point of the overlapping halves, both at the top and bottom of the thigh. Tape them with those pencil marks aligned and have a look from the front to see if you have a nice taper in the thigh shape. What you want is a taper in the shape (wider at the top and narrower at the knee end. Take the thighs off and have a look, if you are happy with the shape draw a line from the top pencil mark to the bottom on each half and that is your trim line.

What I did from there was add an extra 10mm plus per side out towards the edge and create a new trim line and cut the excess material away. I did this so if something went wrong the cut the thighs were slightly larger and I could re adjust and re trim if needed.

Hope that makes sense, usually I have a set of armour here I am building for someone and I would quickly mock it up and take some example photos, but currently I dont sorry.

Haha Andrew, I laugh when I put on the under suit because of how much more skinny they make my legs look!

Ok! so I did what you suggested. How much play should I have in the top of the thigh? I'm not sure how much more I should trim down. I don't want to risk cutting them down too much and making them uncomfortable or even disproportionate to the rest of the armor, but of course I don't want them flopping around looking funny either.

Comments? Suggestions?

AucYhZMl.jpg  1KOjnsGl.jpg 

Here they are on...

xM6SHbLl.jpg 

As you can see here at the top front of the thigh I still have a good gap

sHNUSMRl.jpg?1

It's still wide front to back

EHOQf6ul.jpg 

WI7KDhEl.jpg

but, side to side isn't bad

wN6FtLyl.jpg 

92iXnw7l.jpg

Excellent, I have a very similar gap. You don't want them too tight so you can move freely. Stairs are a challenge in a TK and that little bit of room may well allow you enough movement to negotiate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 1:28 AM, Sly11 said:

I used a 1 in thick 3x3in size piece of hard foam when I did my sizing down and they came out great, Used 1 piece at the bottom and 1 at the top.

yes, I removed them after I sized down. I have some soft foam in there now so they dont bounce or move when I'm walking

Advice: Better to under trim it and have them slightly large than too tight and have to shim. (A painful lesson I learned on my calves) 

• Like 1

So, I trimmed a tiny bit more out of the top,  but they still feel about the same walking around in them, there's just a little less flapping around at the top, so that's good.

One thing I am concerned about though is now that the thighs are trimmed down they are fairly narrow, so the butt joins aren't going to be flat for the cover strips. I ran into this problem when trimming down my forearms but I was able to give them a hot water bath and got them to be round, which provided a much flatter surface to glue the cover strips to.

Should I do the same for the thighs? The hot water bath I did before was in a pot on the stove, so obviously these aren't going to fit in the pot. Any suggestions? I mean is this even the correct route or should I just apply the strips and force it flat? Or would that make for weak joins?

PS. I also have a heat gun that I could use, I'm worried that I risk messing up more with a heat gun though

Just be EXTREMELY CAREFUL with the heat gun....
i would NOT use it...

1 minute ago, TK 71627 said:

Just be EXTREMELY CAREFUL with the heat gun....
i would NOT use it...

Yeah,  thank you,  that's what I was thinking.  I really risk warping them badly or causing damage. I only mentioned I had one in case someone had some advice on using it and getting the results I want

Yeah,  thank you,  that's what I was thinking.  I really risk warping them badly or causing damage. I only mentioned I had one in case someone had some advice on using it and getting the results I want

Do you have access to a deep kettle, from your mom or aunt ? One you could borrow for the hot bath ?

7 minutes ago, TK 71627 said:

Do you have access to a deep kettle, from your mom or aunt ? One you could borrow for the hot bath ?

Like a deep stock pot like this?

1703914.thumb.jpg.e1a38db4a0f8e0076ad425a1ff9d8ec0.jpg

No, unfortunately I don't. Is that the best option for big pieces like legs?

• Like 1

Like a deep stock pot like this?
1703914.thumb.jpg.e1a38db4a0f8e0076ad425a1ff9d8ec0.jpg

No, unfortunately I don't. Is that the best option for big pieces like legs?

That would be PERFECT if you had access to one !!!

I’ve seen some at Walmart and dollar general.....probably less expensive than getting new set of thighs...

What about asking friends.... it would be easier.... yes/no ???

2 minutes ago, TK 71627 said:

I’ve seen some at Walmart and dollar general.....probably less expensive than getting new set of thighs...

1 minute ago, TK 71627 said:

What about asking friends.... it would be easier.... yes/no ???

I'll definitely take a look at more inexpensive options

Yes! I'm actually asking friends right now. We'll see what I can come up with

Thanks Jose!

• Like 1

Attached the cover strip to the right thigh

a3Qmdnxl.jpg

You can see my magnets are off center near the top, that was to press down the strip where there was a gap

kALSB1vl.jpg

Here's the left side

PLXbqo2l.jpg

So after 24 hours I removed all the clamps, magnets and tape and the right thigh turned out great! The left thigh didn't turn out as great though

I didn't notice when I was clamping down the cover strip but the ridge where the cover strip rest on has a curve to it.

63gSfEHl.jpg

I put a green dotted line on it so you can see it a bit better

1i1oHabl.jpg

While normally I wouldn't worry too much, when I was trimming I made the ridge 10mm on both sides all the way up, but I didn't take into account

that there was a curve. So now when the cover strip lays on there flat, I end up with this ridge being exposed on the right and a slight overhang on

the left side of the cover strip.

HUIZeEXl.jpg

rrSuBXyl.jpg

mm2x3cFl.jpg

I'm aiming for upper level approval so I'm gonna rip it off and try again. But I'm wondering what would be the best way to fix this problem. I've noticed on thigh reference pics that a lot of the cover strips have a bend to them to follow the cut lines I assume.

evEha4Hl.jpg

Should I attempt to heat up the strip and add a bend to match the ridge or what I should do?? Help!!! :wacko:

• Like 1

You will find the abs strips can be bent with addition of some pressure, ie using painters tape. I use clamps magnets and painters tape, all do a job in their own way, the tape will just allow a little more pressure to be given to the cover strips for either downwards or sidewards needs ;) 

With E6000 you can just pull off again and rub off the glue, then reapply 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You will find the abs strips can be bent with addition of some pressure, ie using painters tape. I use clamps magnets and painters tape, all do a job in their own way, the tape will just allow a little more pressure to be given to the cover strips for either downwards or sidewards needs ;) 

With E6000 you can just pull off again and rub off the glue, then reapply 

OK, thank you! I'll give it a try and see what I can do. Thank goodness for E6000!!

• Like 1

Borrowed a giant stock pot from a friend. Worked perfectly for the hot water bath on the thighs
EwpwWkGl.jpg&key=76f84b98ed5289ac9547880989df875c9515c6436101483a67c09c1fe9804fa7

WAY TO GO, TROOPER !!!

• Like 1