Tuomas first ANH build (RS)

Wyrkk

Hello! Back in business!

I started to sizing my forearms and biceps. I am 178cm but my hands are smaller than average so I have to trim a lot. Especially my wrists are "thin".

What is the easiest way do this? Should I mark middle of both overlapped part?

Sg4CkPC.jpg?1

tY2I9X2.jpg?1

mbAqGrz.jpg

87fQq2Z.jpg

Edited by Wyrkk

Just a tip don't go too small, make sure the sizing of your forearms matches the sizing of the rest of the armor or they could look out of place. My ATA kit has ridges so a there is a minimum size and I have a lot of room in there for my tiny Trex hands, even had to add a little foam inside so they don't roll around ;) 

• Like 2

At the upper part of the forearms there is not much space to take of, since there are raised areas for the cover strip, you should better remove on the underside of the forearm if it is needed. I am not sure how much I trimmed of mine on the underside, but I left the upper part as it was, with the appropriate amount left on the upper part 7,5mm on each side for the 15mm cover strip.

If one of the more experienced builders wants to chime in, am I right here? 

• Like 1

Depends on the kit, as Glen mentioned. If there are ridges only on one side, the advice to remove from the back may be valid. But also as Glen warned, don't size these down too much. The size needs to look right along with the rest of the costume (particularly the biceps and shoulder bells)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Q, Sven and Luc! Sorry for the (very) late response!

---

Question time!

There is slightly unclear pic 1 and 2. 

Pic 1 outer forearm part (right) includes a ridge and inner part also. 

Pic 2 outer forearm part (right) includes a ridge but inner not. 

Should the ridge be only other side (pic2) or both (pic1)? I wanna be sure that I attach right pieces together :)

Pic1 Pdrx3XT.jpg

Pic2 oF25ww1.jpg

And my helmet is almost ready! Is painting ok? 

LSlcTg9.jpg

x4rrST2.jpg

ZiL1Yiz.jpg

23 hours ago, Wyrkk said:

Thank you Q, Sven and Luc! Sorry for the (very) late response!

---

Question time!

There is slightly unclear pic 1 and 2. 

Pic 1 outer forearm part (right) includes a ridge and inner part also. 

Pic 2 outer forearm part (right) includes a ridge but inner not. 

Should the ridge be only other side (pic2) or both (pic1)? I wanna be sure that I attach right pieces together :)

Pic1 Pdrx3XT.jpg

Pic2 oF25ww1.jpg

And my helmet is almost ready! Is painting ok? 

Hi Tuomas, 

the RS forearms should only have one ridge, one half on the outer and one half on the inner forearm. The ridge is, if worn on the upper part of the forearm. 

The outer parts are easy to discern, the left has 11 dimples the right one has 12.

Here is a picture of my left forearm from the wrist:

dcmIMXB.jpg

Here you can see the ridged area on one side and the flat area on the other. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update!

My right forearm is a pretty much completed. I use some PVC plastic glue which isn`t good. That glue is very stiff and not at all flexible.

E6000 has been hard to find in Finland, but now there is a couple shops. So I just ordered E6000 which fix my problem. :) 

1mYnR0z.jpg

rIizLFu.jpg

pRNOBPW.jpg

Nice work, I always purchase my E6000 from eBay, normally comes from China and can take a while but I make sure I have enough on hand at all times, I do build a few kits for others and hate running out ;) 

• 1 month later...

Over a month from last update. I have been a bit busy so not much progress here.  :)

My forearms are done! I must fix a little bit right arm cover strip but that is quickly done. 

A6yKFeO.jpg

T2w9enS.jpg

I also clued first cover strip to my bicep. I was happy that bicep is much easier part than forearm. :) 

lRin6Xp.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work. :-)

On the coverstrips, just bear in mind that they don’t always run to the longest part of the two armour sections. As below on this screen used suit (owned by RS), the bicep coverstrips run to the inner/shorter part of the bicep.

42f2729ce6d541b1fdad9b9f13431ce2.jpg

If you haven’t already, the RS photos in the FISD gallery are an exceptional reference, especially when building an RS kit.

Best wishes
Dan :-)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Every step counts in the end - you’ll be a Stormtrooper before you know it:duim:

Yep, I cannot wait that moment :) 

2 hours ago, CableGuy said:

On the coverstrips, just bear in mind that they don’t always run to the longest part of the two armour sections. As below on this screen used suit (owned by RS), the bicep coverstrips run to the inner/shorter part of the bicep.

Good point.

I watched youtube tutorial from RS and in the video cover strip touches the longest part. I didn`t even think possibility to make shorter cover strip :D 

Is this a problem when I try to reach EIB or Centurion? 

Edited by Wyrkk

Good point.
I watched youtube tutorial from RS and in the video cover strip touches the longest part. I didn`t even think possibility to make shorter cover strip  
Is this a problem when I try to reach EIB or Centurion? 

As Daniel says, as long as they don’t go past the longest part of the armour, it should be fine. Most builds, (including my own and many other Centurion builds), go to the longest parts - it’s only after a so long using these reference pics that you see how the actual armour was put together. RS make great suits, no doubt, and are probably taking the more common approach to cover strips. As the ref pics show in the RS gallery, the original, screen used suit cuts off a little sooner on certain armour parts.

:-)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For my standards, lots of progress over here!

Right biceps completed and left almost!

Is0PN65.jpg

0TY97wP.jpg

Unfinished helmet has bothered me for a long time and finally it is (almost) completed. Here is my eye solution: Clear visor where I attached green lenses.

Not prettiest but works.

BIjEtFc.jpg

ndGEZAl.jpg

At last my thermal detonator. I only need to find correct screws... Not so simple task in Finland. :) 

JEDLAvO.jpg

Kwgo4gm.jpg

Edited by Wyrkk

Today I assembled rivets to the left side.

3Js3qlh.jpg

Before I can strap my shoulders have to test my torso.

I think that I may have dressing issues. Is my backplate too low? When I put it backplate higher then my posterior is too high and it doesn`t feel right. 

vASOFBr.jpg

LjbXy4I.jpg

ma3nCAh.jpg

(This isn`t my final under suit)

Edited by Wyrkk

9 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Is the cod as high as it can get?

I can put it a little bit higher but not much. 

If I raise my cod then I have to drop my chest piece? I am not sure where is the ideal place.

Edited by Wyrkk

2 hours ago, Wyrkk said:

I can put it a little bit higher but not much. 

If I raise my cod then I have to drop my chest piece? I am not sure where is the ideal place.

The cod should be as high as possible, basicly untill it can’t go any higher:duim:

• Like 1

Nice work so far, Tuomas, and fantastic job on the ab/kidney rivet placement!  If I could add to the suggestions that have been made, I would recommend doing a little trimming on the tops of your biceps, including increasing the size of the "scoop".  This will make them MUCH more comfortable, as well as prevent them from cutting into you and still be screen accurate.

Keep up the great work!

Reference image

Ocl3ukU.jpg?2   bhXbRjt.jpg?1  R5izJQI.jpg?1

• Like 1

Thank you Daniel! 

What about when I raise my cod and my chest goes also higher. Should the shoulders be at the same level as chest and backplates?

4 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You’ve gone to far if you start talking like a girl ;) 

I keep this in my mind :D 

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

Nice work so far, Tuomas, and fantastic job on the ab/kidney rivet placement!  If I could add to the suggestions that have been made, I would recommend doing a little trimming on the tops of your biceps, including increasing the size of the "scoop".  This will make them MUCH more comfortable, as well as prevent them from cutting into you and still be screen accurate.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you Joseph! I`ll definitely do that! 

7 hours ago, ABS80 said:

I would repaint the black chin.

Yep, I need repaint also my mic tips.