Anovos sent me a letter delaying their services, again

When I placed my order back in May, BadBatch's advice to me was 'watch the movies - all of them - watch Clone Wars, watch Rebels, and then wait some more."

For now I'll wait a bit longer - with the continually renewing/re-growing yardwork, I wouldn't be able to make a good start on the kit until Fall anyway.

Of course, that's another couple months of looking at FOs and R1 TKs ... so who makes FOTK kits other than Anovos?

And... cancelled my First Order kit with them, even though the ANH stunt is great.

Don't want to deal with the uncertainty and wanted to go in a different direction.

Decided to build an Imperial astromech, because doing hard armor isn't enough of a time sink, money pit, or technical challenge. At least I can get styrene from my local sign shop next day.

9 minutes ago, Wompet said:

so who makes FOTK kits other than Anovos?

Jimmioquai  on FB, Mimmic on the RPF (replica prop forum), KB Props on FB just to name a few.

Edited by gmrhodes13

1 minute ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Jimmioquai  on FB, Mimmic on the RPF (replica prop forum), KB Props on FB just to name a few.

Thank you.

(Of course, now it's really tempting to cancel Anovos and order both the FOTK and R1 TK from Jimmi ...)

I think you made the right choice, Greg. Cut them loose.

I also began my journey to the 501st with an Anovos order which had a delivery issue. After several conversations with their "customer service," I realized that this was not a company with which I wanted to deal. I bailed on them and went with another vendor, which was not without it's own drama, but two months later I had a BBB and all was right with the world. :) 

Thanks, Michael.  Yeah, when you have waited so long to pull the trigger on getting some armor - and you finally do - the last thing you want is to have another indefinite wait time. Not to mention the generically indifferent customer service... .  On the positive side, Anovos did make it seem easy to get into the game.  Their very inclusive kit was a draw for someone like me who felt overwhelmed with the whole process.  But now that I've had some time to seriously research things (thank you, Anovos ;)), I am far more comfortable with starting a build that may include various mods and finding the right resources to do so. 

I ordered the first wave of ANH TK armor from Anovos on 5/4/2015.  They told us right off the bat that it was going to be a year wait.  It ended up being 18 months and honestly I wasn't mad about it.  I got in at their ridiculously discounted launch price of $250 for the kit plus shipping.  I waited, wrangled for the local garrison a couple times, borrowed a TK for my first (unofficial) troop, built my blaster and just chilled.  The glory of that box finally arriving was worth the wait and I'm a huge fan of my Anovos TK.

I ordered my wife's TIE pilot helmet from Anovos because it was in stock and we had it in 7 days.  I purchased an Anovos FOTK helmet while at Disney in Orlando and I had it in 8 weeks as I was told.  I was happy with Anovos and ready to drop money whenever they announced a FOTK kit.

Then they did and I ordered it that day.  Super pumped about getting it and started prepping for the rest of what I was going to need.  I got my boots, my gloves, my blaster kits, everything.  Then the FOTK was delayed.  I wasn't mad, I understood that perfection takes time and I dealt with it while talking my local squad mates into sticking out the wait with me so that our armor would all match.  We were good.  then Anovos delays again, this time announcing that the molds being used were not up to par with what they were trying to achieve.  This isn't the kind of technical delay that a couple extra months will fix. Literally remaking the molds broke me.  I had to get out.  

So I did.  I'm on day 11 of the 12-15 business day grace period they request for refunds.  I moved my money to the run of gelcoated fiberglass kits Mimic is doing on the RPF.  It's twice the cost, but visually stunning and being made by someone openly communicating about the process including whatever delays/hiccups/errors he's run into.  So while I likely won't have a FOTK to wear with my kids this halloween (they are being kylo and a fotk made from the giant action figure) I know my money went to builder that not only respects those giving him money but isn't dicking around interest free business loans like Anovos is.  

Anovos and I are done, well almost.  I didn't cancel my pauldron order with them.  It can take as much time as it needs cuz I don't care anymore about having it. 

Unless you willing to pay in full upfront and wait for an indeterminate amount of time, I think the key to having a happy dealing with Anovos is buying the stuff they actually have in stock. They seem to be pretty good when it comes to that.

On the other hand, if you are going in as part of a preorder and/or an interest list, they consider you less of a customer and more of an investor. Expecting them to meet their stated delivery date will most likely lead to disappointment.

Interesting perspective, but as an investor I'd expect some sort of return. The original model they had w/ tier pricing; those who go in earliest have the longest wait / most risk but also get the best discount and first dibs when released made sense. Paying full price for an indeterminate release date does not provide any value for the investor.

I'd still consider them for anything in-stock or if it appears on Amazon like the FOTK helmet, but done w/ pre-order, especially now that other makers are accommodating payment plans. Being the license holder they should be held to a higher standard. 

• Like 1

Wow, I ordered in May of 2017 and didn't realize they still haven't fulfilled orders from August 2016.  I was also surprised to hear from them that the "manufacturer" is having issues.  I was led to believe that Anovos was doing the manufacturing.  Amazing that they are staying in business.  I have to imagine this will be a huge black eye for them.  So disappointing.  This is my first set of armor and this news just ruined my weekend.

I'm sorry to hear that this has ruined your weekend Jeff. As you have probably read by now, this is just the way a pre order goes with Anovos. I think that you have to realistically expect you will not have your armor until at least late winter or spring 2018. 

You would think that Disney must be getting tired of Anovos carrying their license and giving them a headache. I am too interested in how much longer they will stay in business. You have to wonder if people are starting to get the hint finally about them after all of the information has been posted on forums and social media. Are people finally hesitant on pulling the trigger with them on preorders?  Is this a reason why they had to cancel the Shoretrooper run because of "lack of interest?"  Is it lack of interest or are the customers just starting to get tired of them and inability to deliver items on time...

Jeff if I can offer you any advice it would be to cancel your order and ask for a refund. Buy from someone on our vetted vendor list and you will be real happy in the end. 

Thanks for the reply Steve.  I cancelled my order with Anovos and placed one with RS instead.  Anovos said they "hope to have orders filled by Halloween (10/31)", but I find that hard to believe given that some people have been waiting a year.  When I made my initial decision, I was torn between Anovos and RS and now I guess RS was meant to be.  I don't necessarily have an issue with Anovos having delays-stuff happens, but the way they handled it was poor IMO.  I contacted them on 9/10 and they informed me everything looked good for my summer delivery and then 2 days later on their site they made the update/change to the delivery calendar.  I feel like they could have been a little more forthcoming with their issues.

On 9/22/2017 at 6:05 PM, TK TBD said:

Thanks for the reply Steve.  I cancelled my order with Anovos and placed one with RS instead.  Anovos said they "hope to have orders filled by Halloween (10/31)", but I find that hard to believe given that some people have been waiting a year.  

yes - this !

I saw the Anovos tweets and social media storm over the weekend about "order before XX date to ensure Halloween delivery" and just about laughed myself off my chair.

I truly wish they could get their act together as a business.  Their products are top shelf, arguably the best out there, but it takes an act of congress to get them to ship something or god forbid refund you your money.   

On 9/13/2017 at 5:43 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

. . . . try for a refund . . . .

might encounter service issues there as well.

On 9/18/2017 at 3:09 PM, Hankey said:

I ended up cancelling my order. Refund may take a while and will go to funding my next choice in armour.

Anovos customer service is mediocre to poor.  I ordered from Anovos back in mid-Aug.  I changed my mind and cancelled the pre-order around Aug. 29 and requested a full refund.   They claim it takes 12-15 business days to fully process.  It's now 18 business days and still no refund in my account.  At the very least, the customer rep. I'm in contact with is trying, but still no excuse.

never again.

On 9/18/2017 at 9:22 AM, vettereddie said:

.  .. . you've got options with different makers. 

yep.

23 hours ago, Thumpy~ said:

might encounter service issues there as well.

Anovos customer service is mediocre to poor.  I ordered from Anovos back in mid-Aug.  I changed my mind and cancelled the pre-order around Aug. 29 and requested a full refund.   They claim it takes 12-15 business days to fully process.  It's now 18 business days and still no refund in my account.  At the very least, the customer rep. I'm in contact with is trying, but still no excuse.

never again.

yep.

Are you still waiting for your money back?  I successfully got in touch with the Customer Service manager, Charlie, via the webchat and he expedited my refund that same day.  It took partial.ly another couple of days to actually put the money back in my account but it happened.  I'm confident that had I not escalated to the CS manager, I'd still be waiting.  Ask for him by name and don't take no for an answer.  

another option is made available after 30 days from the date you requested the refund, that is a credit card charge back.  talk to your bank to get that party started if you make it to 30 days (calendar, not business days). 

Good luck. and yes, never again. 

I sort of knew what I was signing up for so I'm not really mad with Anovos. I picture them as a start-up and they are trying to balance their expenditures by getting customers to pre-pay. This is fine until they experience these huge delays. How many suits are they producing if they are asking for a 9 month waiting period, then extending it to 12, then more? If it was only once, it's probably not a huge deal. But it seems to happen over and over again and I just don't want to wait any longer. If I was looking at a second suit, maybe I'd wait it out, but I'd really like to get moving on this.

I am still keeping my order open for the FOTK armor I purchased with their presale discount deal but that is only because I am in no rush to build it at this point. For those who are looking to build and wear armor sooner, Anovos is not going to be the quickest option as seen with almost all of their pre sale deals. I also bought 2 kits of their first TK armor and waited so long i literally forgot I ordered them. Then one day my family said some big boxes arrived. The aniticipation wore off and now I have one kit sitting in storage and the other partially built over a yea’s time for a Sandy.  On the positive side Anovos’s packaging is great, armor is sharp in detail, a bit on the thin/fragile side of durability but still nice overall. Very happy I got those kits for the money I paid. 

Point in short.... Can’t wait any longer, need armor now? Anovos is not the armor vendor you are looking for....Move along.

really sorry to read and hear all the stories here about the disappointment in waiting. Hope you all find your way to obtaining armor and get out there trooping soon.

Knowing what it's like to get overwhelmed with orders I somewhat feel ANOVOS' pain when stuff falls apart on your supply chain side. However they've been in the business for quite a while so you'd think they'd have learned a thing or two about buffering their demand. I spent 80% of the money I made from the initial F-11D run I did (that took forever, ask my customers who I am eternally grateful for waiting patiently on me) on re-investing back into getting things on the supply side beefed up and to the point where I effectively brought turnaround times for the F-11D's etc from 8-12 weeks to 1-3 weeks on average. I now have several printers that are shelved as redundancies so that if anything goes wrong with my primary production, I have something to fall back on and use without interruption. 

Now I probably don't have anywhere near the demand of ANOVOS but with that demand comes tremendous cashflow, they should be reinvesting a lot of that money into their supply chain and production to match the demand. They more than likely have employees to pay though, so with payroll and overhead and other things on their books they may not have the cashflow to reinvest, so who knows. 

• 1 month later...

As of Monday, the latest news from Anovos is that there is no news :huh:

• As noted in our September update, we have been fulfilling orders of this product as we receive product from our manufacturer and currently anticipate all orders placed prior to December 18th, 2016 to be fulfilled during Fall. The orders from this segment are currently in production with the expectation that they will be available for shipment out of our fulfillment center during the later half of Fall through Winter 2017.