Uxorious' first build - the road to 501st

Uxorious

Both thighs done. Hopefully putting the ammo belt on today. As I have been waiting for glue to set I have worked some on the abdomen button panel, putting in some reinforcements on the inside of the cover strip parts and preparing the shoulderparts of the backarmor for reshaping. A little each day. addad39e4d65d823d3fc1c1760ba2c47.jpg322942f82f889782f049adcf0823e708.jpg224298c4559857be3648571bb069221e.jpg90679a5a3a521f89c30de887f164fff3.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

• Like 1

When installing the ammo pack on the right thigh, I can't help but feel that having the curve and pack above the ridge would look better and be more solid than having it with the curves facing down and the whole thing stick down below the thigh. Last option also makes me bend it slightly up to reach upbti the end of the cover strip.

Guess I have no choice? The ammo pack is supposed to be with the curves on the ends pointing down, right?

eaa17a31f470b906bde25a8eca0b6fc1.jpgcc8623a76bbfd1dd6e5ecfd449c6192d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been away on holiday but before I left I painted the button panels and attached the right thigh ammo packs. Both things I feared to do, but seems to have worked out ok. (See photos).

Today I finally did something I have feared the most. I water bathed the top back shoulder tabs. Already had some advise about that here, and I had removed a lot of return edge. But the process was pretty much smooth. Here are some before and after picks.

Next I guess will be to attach the shoulder strap ABS to the chest armor. I'm thinking I need as much length as I can, being 6'2" (189cm), so I am going to go for only 3 stripes being connected to the chest. 295bae9fb79c7b17e96d104dd5392541.jpg895f9e179d132fb15fc7ca82bae18daf.jpg800314fd4e0d9be8f15ad1aaab206a9f.jpg56e4c7673350ba69d937f5eed6ea4906.jpg

Came out great:duim: Keep it up your almost there:salute:

One tiny little suggestion would be to straighten the corners on the ab button plates to match the original if you feel like it:)

TZXNj7k.jpg

• Like 2

Been away on holiday but before I left I painted the button panels and attached the right thigh ammo packs. Both things I feared to do, but seems to have worked out ok. (See photos).

Today I finally did something I have feared the most. I water bathed the top back shoulder tabs. Already had some advise about that here, and I had removed a lot of return edge. But the process was pretty much smooth. Here are some before and after picks.

Next I guess will be to attach the shoulder strap ABS to the chest armor. I'm thinking I need as much length as I can, being 6'2" (189cm), so I am going to go for only 3 stripes being connected to the chest. 295bae9fb79c7b17e96d104dd5392541.jpg895f9e179d132fb15fc7ca82bae18daf.jpg800314fd4e0d9be8f15ad1aaab206a9f.jpg56e4c7673350ba69d937f5eed6ea4906.jpg

Hiya

Looking good. :-)

Just a little note to watch the size of the ab buttons. Also, straight edges and corners on the little one. ;-)

13ef2fecf033133c79403fbf4a53706e.jpg
  • Like 1

But the corners are just for accuracy, right? Coz I kinda like the cleaner look with the sanded edges.

Also, I see that I have the buttonsca bit bigger then that reference photo. Are they ok, or should I redo?

1 hour ago, Uxorious said:

But the corners are just for accuracy, right? Coz I kinda like the cleaner look with the sanded edges.

Also, I see that I have the buttonsca bit bigger then that reference photo. Are they ok, or should I redo?

If you like it then leave it, you are good to for approval on both counts:salute:

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Trying to get back on this train, having RL issues for a while now. 

Reading the UKsWrath guide about the split rivets on the ab/kidney sides I have a question. 

The split rivets are installed and he says the strapping will be installed a bit later, but then you would have to remove the rivets and place new once right?

Coz when you put in the strapping it needs to be messured to your body, and then installed ising the split rivits to hold them in place?

I actually added snaps to the back of the rivets, a little fiddley as you have to trim the posts, you can then add the opposite snaps and elastic, this helps if you want to break the kit down further for transport, I did this to fit inside a heavy plastic suitcase for air transportation.

In my other kits I have elastic (with a plate glued) and rivets straight through the elastic.

Really depends how you want to build but A.J. said you don't even need to have them functional, you can always add snap plates over the rivets or even glue elastic directly behind.

Good luck what ever you decide.

8 hours ago, Uxorious said:

Trying to get back on this train, having RL issues for a while now. 

Reading the UKsWrath guide about the split rivets on the ab/kidney sides I have a question. 

The split rivets are installed and he says the strapping will be installed a bit later, but then you would have to remove the rivets and place new once right?

Coz when you put in the strapping it needs to be messured to your body, and then installed ising the split rivits to hold them in place?

In the tutorial the rivet holes were drilled and the rivets pressed into the plastic without setting the rivets. Once a fitment check was performed for the entire torso section then the area was assembled. Since the armor was built to Centurion standards and screen accurate as possible the final connecting strap dimensions and assembly method in that area remained the same regardless. Centurion requires there's little to no gap between the Ab and Kidney an so this is how it was assembled.  As A.J. and Glen mentioned this assembly method is NOT mandatory. 

Hope this helps  ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have ordered a bunch of stuff i need to get started with snaps as internal strapping.

I am using this guide: http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/snaps.html?fbclid=IwAR3PKtcHQr-4IeAKo96SXoHnJtY787TgyeKnkmPOOsEQ4etUIKHw7HVKT78

as he uses stuff I am able to get here in Europe. Right now I just want to get moving on the build and get a basic approval.

I dont think I will have a chanse to troop any more then once or twice a year (becuase of my time and also I live where there is only one other Stormtrooper and one Tie-Pilot, so not the biggest crew). 

How ever - this build is hanging over me like an exam i should have been preparing for - so I really want to get moving with what I have at hand. 

Edited by Uxorious
  • Like 1

Looking forward to the progress, we are all here to help and guide you along the way, good luck

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I need help with some measurements. In Tony's guide - Section about Assembly (Posterior Rivet) it says some have one snap, others have two.

Then is says measure 1-1/8" and 5/8" from tip of cod.

Then a picture shows him measuring 2-6/8" from the edge...

I'm so confused about these measurements, probably also because I have to convert all to millimeters...

1 hour ago, Uxorious said:

I need help with some measurements. In Tony's guide - Section about Assembly (Posterior Rivet) it says some have one snap, others have two.

Then is says measure 1-1/8" and 5/8" from tip of cod.

Then a picture shows him measuring 2-6/8" from the edge...

I'm so confused about these measurements, probably also because I have to convert all to millimeters...

Hey Fredrik, nice to see you back at it:duim: Measurements don´t need to be exact, for L2/L3 the posterior plate needs to have 2 male snaps present. Put them roughly in the proxemity of ref pic provided and your golden:salute:

cSTTpuE.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I did some test fitting and it seems to me I will need 5,5cm gaps on the side. Now I am going for basic approval, so as I understand it this should be ok.

I am 6"2 so I believe I need these gaps on the back also to get everything aligned. Should be ok?

Hopefully tomorrow I will make the holes and put in the snaps for the belt, back and the "extra" on the ab. All will be the type I have picture of below. This is ok to use for all these spots, right?

Also put in the rivets on the left side and cod. I have measured and marked the spots for this.

The distance between my markes for the belt snaps is 33,5cm on the ab plate. The distance on the belt seems to be 33,7cm. I'm thinking its safer to make the holes so it's a bit shorter rather then a bit to far apart...am I right? Coz the belt will handle 0,2cm shorter.. I think.

Really trying to get this ready for the Episode 9 premiere, where my 3 local 501st members want me to be able to join.
8cfe30d0c6e883a7a091c56c89cb8e48.jpg2d71bc6e0e101cd07cde773967449bf4.jpge0c1080b1adc1477a1d9032d64665065.jpg7e830784d3c76ba8ca092b478bf95c91.jpg

On 10/30/2019 at 2:07 PM, Uxorious said:

So I did some test fitting and it seems to me I will need 5,5cm gaps on the side. Now I am going for basic approval, so as I understand it this should be ok.

I am 6"2 so I believe I need these gaps on the back also to get everything aligned. Should be ok?

Looking good Fredrik, talk to your garrison GML regarding basic approval requirements. The legion is tightening the reigns when it comes to even basic approvals these days. Before you get too far in your build you need to know what's expected. 

Keep up the great work