Uxorious' first build - the road to 501st

Uxorious

7 hours ago, Uxorious said:

I am guessing i have to clean up the teeth?

The screws holding the ears to the helmet are also inaccurate for their use, they should be "V" head "slot" like illustrated in the image below, you'll need to purchase new from the sales section. That said don't discard the old screws as they can be used to mount the Thermal Detonator clips. The screw Anovos supplies are inaccurate also.

Ear mounting

V%20head.jpg

Thermal Detonator

TD%20wrong.jpg

Ok, I see. Well, I have decided to go for just basic approval. I understand the difference is not that big but, for me - basic will be enough challenge.

When it comes to the legs, am I right that I can cut the front to about 21mm in total on the Return edge part before I have to measure? If there is to little material, the adjustments has to be made on the back anyway, right? I know that I am ether going to have a perfect fit, or to little. But the front needs to be right for the strip anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Uxorious said:

But the front needs to be right for the strip anyway?

No, if you need a bigger than the Canon width of 20 that`s ok - for all levels of approval....I would however try and avoid going bigger than 25 though. Here`s how I did: I trimmed the rough edges of the thighs and using tape overlaped the front so the raised edges were 20mm, then butted up the the back (also rough trimmed, only removing the flashing) and taped that up, sliding the thighs on (with undersuit), checked the fit and needed to go bigger so ended up with a 22mm coverstrip (front and back, I wanted the strips to match), also trimed as much that I could from the upper return edge, more from the inner part than the outer to maintain the illusion of thickness. I maxed out on my thighs so the back has a gap at the top so to strenghten the joint I used a small inner strip at the top. The Anovos suit has pre-cut (at least my shadow did) strips so that makes things more challenging, idealy the strip hides the raised edge but there`s room to "cheat" a little meaning it`s fine even though if a few mm is showing - keep going Fredrik, you`ll get there in the end:salute:

RS suit for reference

med_gallery_12157_59_38956.jpg

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 2

As I understand the Shins have a tendancy to be wrongfully marked by Anovos, but can also be correct?

UKsWrath says what numbers usualy belongs, but I have tried to look around for how to identify for sure. I also understand that a "correct" setup is not needed for any Level of approval, but I would  like to get it right. And I think mine were wrongly marked by Anovos.

What I found out was that the inner halves are a bit longer, down towarss the ancle, then the outer once.

The outer halves seem to have a bowon the middle, and the inner once have bow further up and og in towards the leg earlier.

Left side Shins have less raised return edge on the top at the T then the right one.

So looking at these things I think I have found the lefts and the rights. I'll post a Picture later.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Uxorious said:

As I understand the Shins have a tendancy to be wrongfully marked by Anovos, but can also be correct?

UKsWrath says what numbers usualy belongs, but I have tried to look around for how to identify for sure. I also understand that a "correct" setup is not needed for any Level of approval, but I would  like to get it right. And I think mine were wrongly marked by Anovos.

What I found out was that the inner halves are a bit longer, down towarss the ancle, then the outer once.

The outer halves seem to have a bowon the middle, and the inner once have bow further up and og in towards the leg earlier.

Left side Shins have less raised return edge on the top at the T then the right one.

So looking at these things I think I have found the lefts and the rights. I'll post a Picture later.

The curvature of the armor is key and your correct most shins I'm seeing coming from Anovos, though they appear to still be mismarked are consistent in design. If trimmed at the trim lines the inner halves are longer. I need to update my build thread to reflect this

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for asking. Well, it has been a periode of NO movement. I have to admit - i have been mentaly occupide elsewhere. Life gets in the way. Still kinda is, but I have just started working again. So a few days ago I actually worked on the shins and got the front of them glued. Allways insecure about the fit, but the way they are i think they will be ok. I dont have a chance to cut much off, coz I am a man of a certain size, just hope I don't have to add. I think I'm ok.

Today the plan is to add the Sniper knee to the left shin and then attacth the back strips. I have bought white industrial strength velcro to attatch. 

After this I will get to work on my thigh armor. A bit less woried about the size there. So if the shins fit I am very happy. 

I'll see if i can post some photos later today.

Edited by Uxorious
  • Like 1

Good to hear you`re still on it:duim: but no rush, take the time you need and enjoy the build meaning build when you want to - we`ll be here supporting when you need help/advise:salute:

• Like 2

Thank you do much Daniel. It mens the world. If we ever meet at an event I would want to offer you a "bæsj" :)

Here are some pictures of the last days work. Front strips are in place. Sniper knee glued in the middle. I will attach the sides tomorrow (allowing for 48 hrs glue drying). And right side back strip is glued on the right shin. So left side back strip and sides of sniper knee tomorrow. 8d3e879db7554d5f938534a6f1b26355.jpg17a8ceafab1e53df9b2196c4dbbaf884.jpg3d1661cd6798542bd8744428f0b8ad0c.jpge19dcb37abc753e4496ad279839facea.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I finished the shins and I am ok happy. Right one is s bit tight but I walked around with it a bit and I can take the discomfort. As I understand, it's not a comfortable set :)

Sniper knee could not be as perfect of a fit that I had hoped, but I think it is ok. My kit will have a LOT of personality :)

So I have started (almost finished) trimming the thighs. As I am setting up where to cut the front of the left inner thigh I notice that the return edge is curved.

I put a straight metal ruler along the return edge and it is very curved. I am sure this is intended and movie accurate but it leaves me wondering how to measure.

I need to leave a little more then the 10mm for the cover strip on each side. I am measuring 12mm from the return edge to my cut line. How do I do this when the return edge is not straight? (See last picture)566c1902201f71d6c1b3b993954ce675.jpgbc471444efc153470765f3f56a8037f7.jpg6e46ccabd81f8e1f4f5c1112956c2d23.jpg

4 hours ago, Uxorious said:

This demonstrates what I am talking about a bit better

. 65cb3629d75bfc6c23d2ca73fd9d200c.jpg

The entire armor is pretty much asymmetrical, or loaded with personality ;)

Thigh shape, absolutely normal. The following canon photos illustrate the position of the cover strip. 

Left

gallery_12157_15_34529.jpg

gallery_12157_59_29423.jpg

Some builders like TM will curve their cover strip to follow the contour on the right thigh.

gallery_12157_15_41437.jpg

gallery_12157_59_38956.jpg

• Like 1

For the right thigh I used a combination of having a little extra return edge below the cover strips in places and trying to bend the cover strip.  I got a bit of a bend in the cover strip by gluing the bottom half first - letting it set really well - then gluing the top half.  The flex in the cover strip allows for a little bit of movement to correct for the curve.  I also used an inside cover strip beforehand to "rough" attach the thigh pieces. 

• Like 1

If you want to return edges of the front of the thight to be completly covered by the coverstrips you do 10mm on each side, so it totals to 20mm as the cover strip. 

But how much of the return edge can show before it threatens "approved"?

3 minutes ago, Uxorious said:

If you want to return edges of the front of the thight to be completly covered by the coverstrips you do 10mm on each side, so it totals to 20mm as the cover strip. 

But how much of the return edge can show before it threatens "approved"?

If I'm understanding you correctly Fredrik we recommend NO MORE then 25mm for the thigh, 20mm for arms and 30mm for the calves however, for larger applicants we've seen more than the maximum size come across our L2 and L3 pages. So, as long as ALL the cover strips look proportional to the armor section they are applied to, and they are proportional to the rest of the armor we will be lenient in this area.  

I though about buying cap rivets for the ammo pack mounting, like Tony did in his guide. The split rivets frighten me a bit more and seen just a tad scarier to install.

Only question is... what size are these rivets?

b02317f5f31d15f44a0d92a2bbca3fd9.jpg

Having used both, I think I honestly found the cap rivets harder to install. Split rivets don't have anything to be scared of; they do a great job and they are acceptable at all levels. However, if you want to go with some cap rivets, you should use some 5/16th ones. Here is a great thread where you can buy some from one of our members https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/34902-centurion-level-rivet-sets-for-sale/ .