Anovos TK armor preorder

For me, im not really putting any reliance on the soft parts or strapping being something that I use. But the armor itself looks pretty decent, even good enough to spark up some debate whether or not it is based off RS if you look further back in this thread. So for my 350 it seemed worth it. I also ordered day 1 or 2, so I guess I will be one of the first to find out how it actually is....a bit of a gamble i guess.

For me, im not really putting any reliance on the soft parts or strapping being something that I use. But the armor itself looks pretty decent, even good enough to spark up some debate whether or not it is based off RS if you look further back in this thread. So for my 350 it seemed worth it. I also ordered day 1 or 2, so I guess I will be one of the first to find out how it actually is....a bit of a gamble i guess.

Well this is either going to be some really nice armor we'll be proud to approve and wear, or Ebay will be flooded with low cost TKs  :laugh1:

• Like 1

True......I'm also not relying on the strapping and soft parts. I didn't get on the 350 pricing, but he 500 which in the end isn't so bad. I know I've spent more on E11, boots, audio and fans for the bucket and other odds and ends.<br><br>

Lucky enough I got the pre-order in before the CDN dollar vs USD tanked.

True......I'm also not relying on the strapping and soft parts. I didn't get on the 350 pricing, but he 500 which in the end isn't so bad. I know I've spent more on E11, boots, audio and fans for the bucket and other odds and ends.<br><br>

Lucky enough I got the pre-order in before the CDN dollar vs USD tanked.

I got it at 350$, complete impulse buy! I knew just the armor usually costs more like 1000$ Canadian so I couldn't pass on this knowing this was the best deal I would ever see on a TK.

I know many people think that the soft goods are doubtful but I trust them. They built their reputation making screen acurate Star Trek tunic so I think this is right up their alley. Plus the last picture they sent from the new version of the neck seal looked pretty good! I'm more worried about the holster, which has 4 screws instead of two, which is understable of they favor wearability and functionality over accuracy. This is a bummer as it doesn't meet basic approval for Stunt ANH.

Hmm, wonder how "prototype-ish" that holster really is. The Anovos guys were acting like they were paying attention to this stuff.

I've asked them if they could ship the belt unassembled but they said it was too early to say. Maybe this will be adressed in the next newsletter...

I've asked them if they could ship the belt unassembled but they said it was too early to say. Maybe this will be adressed in the next newsletter...

Too early??? They said they were still on target for shipping in 1 to 1.5 months!! Seems like they would have more details worked out. I am beginning to think they will not ship on time despite their recent newsletters. I hope I am wrong.

Too early??? They said they were still on target for shipping in 1 to 1.5 months!! Seems like they would have more details worked out. I am beginning to think they will not ship on time despite their recent newsletters. I hope I am wrong.

To be fair though, I asked them back in July... Might shoot them another email about it!

I'm just curious to see how this set turns out. I ordered it a long while back, not really in the first batch of pre-orders. I've actually been considering bailing on my Anovos pre-order and putting in an order for AP. I'm just concerned of it ending up being like a Rubies situation as I already made that mistake (a week before finding out about FISD....) Any opinions?

I ordered a Rubies as well (stuck with it), thinking it was another manufacturer. Anovos already has a track record of making outstanding Star Trek gear and they really look promising.

I wouldn't bail, I'd be kicking myself for the rest of my life. I think it's going to be really good, NOTHING like Rubies. 

• Like 1

I'm a little skeptical about the extensive use of velcro in the strapping system they've shown. Obviously it isn't final or else we'd have heard about it from ANOVOS, and we can really ignore their strapping system if it ends up being sub-par, but if that's the direction in which they're heading... Does anyone have experience with using that much velcro? It seems to me that putting your armor together with so much velcro is just asking for it to come undone all over the place.

I for one have never used snaps in any costuming, it's always been velcro. For this stuff though I'm really leaning toward learning a good snap system with nylon webbing straps.

However, in using a crap set of armor and marching two hours in a parade, the entire velcro sytem held up very, very well, and made no real noise to speak about. So I'm torn, as much as I want to get "snapping," this velcro is extremely strong and silent.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think I'm  even going to deal with the strapping system they have. I like snaps......My problem is my hands are starting to get itchy and I just want to start building as I pretty much having all the supplies sitting and waiting in my work area.....

The more I see the happier I am feeling. At the moment my biggest concerns are if the under garments will fit me at all! I have ordered based on their chart but my measurements were all over the place so had to make a bit of a guess. The neck seal is the biggest concern for me, I'm a 17" neck which really doesn't match the rest of me.  These are obviously quite simple to fix though.

As for the velcro, it looks to be okay and would probably be good enough for most purchasers (I am guessing more than 50% will not be going for 501st).  As for me, I ordered at the $450 tier so will wait and see what the early recipients find once it's in peoples hands.  I'm not adverse to velcro, snaps or even "authentic" fixings but if I can save my self an evening or two making snap plates then that works for me.

Seems like there are really two camps, velcro, or snaps. A lot of the seasoned veterans here have been snap-happy and that's A-OK with me. I've always used Velcro industrial strength (seriously strong) and it's been amazing, from the grip of the velcro itself, to the extreme of the adhesive. There's a reason why NASA used it extensively on astronaut suits. I trust Anovos, they've had a pretty good track record so far. If they're going to a velcro system, then maybe we need to get our heads out of our butt-plates and not reject applicants from acceptance just because they adopted a new and effective way of holding this armor up in a screen accurate manner.

Edited by meekerscott

Seems like there are really two camps, velcro, or snaps. A lot of the seasoned veterans here have been snap-happy and that's A-OK with me. I've always used Velcro industrial strength (seriously strong) and it's been amazing, from the grip of the velcro itself, to the extreme of the adhesive. There's a reason why NASA used it extensively on astronaut suits. I trust Anovos, they've had a pretty good track record so far. If they're going to a velcro system, then maybe we need to get our heads out of our butt-plates and not reject applicants from acceptance just because they adopted a new and effective way of holding this armor up in a screen accurate manner.

Velcro or snaps is not a approval requirement.

EDIT: To be clear, whether you use snaps, velco or hook and straps, the requirement is that visual snaps and rivets be present. They do not have to be functional.

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

EDIT: To be clear, whether you use snaps, velco or hook and straps, the requirement is that visual snaps and rivets be present. They do not have to be functional.

Looking at the Tested.com part 2 build video, it looks like Anovos is including snaps and split rivets. I might be wrong though, I'm not certain I'd have to rewatch the video.

I've written to them about that and the possibility to have the belt unassembled. We'll see how that goes!

On this note, is the overall construction a requirement? As I said before, the ANOVOS kit seems to direct builders toward a torso construction method that leaves it in four distinct and separate pieces, as opposed to the traditional "clamshell" method. I'm assuming that the clamshell isn't an actual requirement, but would I be correct in assuming that it is easier to gain approval with the clamshell method based on the fact that the visible strapping in the clamshell adheres naturally to the 501st requirements, while the separate torso construction may not do so?

On this note, is the overall construction a requirement? As I said before, the ANOVOS kit seems to direct builders toward a torso construction method that leaves it in four distinct and separate pieces, as opposed to the traditional "clamshell" method. I'm assuming that the clamshell isn't an actual requirement, but would I be correct in assuming that it is easier to gain approval with the clamshell method based on the fact that the visible strapping in the clamshell adheres naturally to the 501st requirements, while the separate torso construction may not do so?

"is the overall construction a requirement?"  

This is a broad statement. I would say yes and no. For those who haven't read it yet here's a CRL http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt

Granted certain sections of the armor can be assembled or attached in several ways the overall appearance should follow what's stated in the CRL. 

I would encourage everyone to build your armor to L3 requirements right out of the box, only because how the armor looks and feels is at it's best when assembled this way. Is it a requirement, no. Will effect basic 501st approval no.

As for the clam shell (left side Ab to Kidney section) and how it is assembled, there is no 501st standard. Some individuals are not proportioned to fit perfectly in armor and so it's not a requirement to have these individuals install shims. Without shims internal connections will be exposed. With that said "gaining approval", basic 501st that is, won't make any difference.  

Did I answer all your questions?

I think so. I've read the CRL fairly thoroughly a number of times, and the thing that's been most clear to me is that internal strapping is up to the builder as long as the parts seen on screen are accurately represented by the armor while it's being worn. That being said, what I meant by "overall construction" was the way that the armor fits together. It seems to me that particularly unique strapping methods may be more visible than more traditional methods, and may therefore impede 501st registration.

Strapping methods aren't a requirement for approval, but they are a requirement for durability and practical purposes. The reason why so many of us cry "snaps" is because over time Velcro will lose its hold. We strive to look out best always, and a sloppy TK can make us cringe. You don't want to be the trooper whose shoulder has fallen off or the chest and ab that just don't look right. <br><br>

As for the clamshell design, I personally use it because I can get suited up much quicker. its convenience.

Ok, some good news and some bad news... I got a response to my email to Anovos about the belts and holster assembly.

They confirmed what I feared, they are definitely going for the "Hero" setup for the belt and holster, which means 4 screws instead of 2. I'm trying to find out if it's preassembled, so that may still be workable, we'll see...

On the other hand, he did say that they are going this route because this is what the licensor has approved! So it definitely sounds like they are quite far along in the process.

They also said they've got some pretty cool pictures to share for the next newsletter so I'm thinking maybe shots of the production pieces or a bunch of armor ready to be shipped?

Exciting stuff!!

Ok, some good news and some bad news... I got a response to my email to Anovos about the belts and holster assembly.

They confirmed what I feared, they are definitely going for the "Hero" setup for the belt and holster, which means 4 screws instead of 2. I'm trying to find out if it's preassembled, so that may still be workable, we'll see...

On the other hand, he did say that they are going this route because this is what the licensor has approved! So it definitely sounds like they are quite far along in the process.

They also said they've got some pretty cool pictures to share for the next newsletter so I'm thinking maybe shots of the production pieces or a bunch of armor ready to be shipped?

Exciting stuff!!

So are they doing a hero bucket??