Stormtrooper in Episode VII

DroidHunter

None of the helmets available are actually accurate. The shape of the eyes lenses is wrong, and the small detailing on the helmets aren't right. Like the one you pictured above, the vents on the cheek are not evenly spaced and far to small, the detailing above the ear is wrong and it is missing a greeblie on the top of the helmet.

The other one being openly offered is the same with some minor problems.

My partner and I will be making a helmet offering, but we're purposely not cashing in on the early inaccurate craze.

The 3d models are in the works now and being refined, but we will not finalize it and start molding it until we can be really certain to the minor details. We want it to be accurate from the start instead of forcing people to buy multiple versions.

Eagerly looking forward to seeing it Derrek. What are your plans, build-able kit or other? Will you wait for the entire suit to be reveled and make that as well?

This is awesome news!  

I will be focusing on a resin and fiberglass style cast helmet. It will come most likely as one piece (depending on the details for the left side).

The style and details on the helmet do not lend to vacuforming very well, so I think this needs to be a resin cast helmet. The plan at the moment is to offer a unfinished kit that needs to be painted and detailed by you and also offering a painting service from a professional airbrusher.

As for the suit, I will not be doing that, I will leave it to the existing vacuformers who have the skills and tools on hand to get the suits done.

• Like 3

I will be focusing on a resin and fiberglass style cast helmet. It will come most likely as one piece (depending on the details for the left side).

The style and details on the helmet do not lend to vacuforming very well, so I think this needs to be a resin cast helmet. The plan at the moment is to offer a unfinished kit that needs to be painted and detailed by you and also offering a painting service from a professional airbrusher.

As for the suit, I will not be doing that, I will leave it to the existing vacuformers who have the skills and tools on hand to get the suits done.

Can't wait to see it. 

Sounds good to me. Thanks!

Please start a list and put me at the TOP of it!! I almost pulled the trigger on both of the offerings on rpf, but I had a bad feeling about them...

I would love to start a list, but at this point a list is pretty counter productive.

it really locks in for a release date for the item, but since we do not have 100% view of the helmet yet, the timeline is unknown. Plus I have found when doing lists, about 25% of the people disappear and never reply once it's time to deposit.

We are just going to keep information flowing and once we have some concrete things to show we will post it up to help generate the interest and keep people coming back. A list will follow once we have a finished 3D model and are ready to go into molding phases.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2014 at 3:53 PM, vecspeed12 said:

food for thought. the lense and black portion connecting to the frown is all a one piece lense. 

Based on lightening of the photos it looks like the black part is painted black, and the lenses and eyes are similar to the normal TK.

Not my photo....

-------------

and 

------------

The last photo doesn't show as much detail, but with the color change you can see more details in the black. I'm really certain that the lenses are a single bubble hiding in the black and the whole black section is simple painted to give the perception of a single piece.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Yes, that is what I thought, too!

All the helmets that have been fanmade so far got the lenses wrong, imho.

They are much bigger than everybody thinks.

In the last pic from DDays post, you can see, that they almost reach to the border between black and white close to the ear ...

Insofar the first pic in DDays post got it wrong, too ...

And I am (for my part) also convinced, that we are talking about two separate bubbles here and not one single piece ...

Edited by Bone
  • Like 1

From what we see on the screen cap of the trailer it does indeed look like the lens extends really far towards the edge.

Photo 1 lens area is too small, but the exact size is not 100% capturable yet until we see another angle. The reflection could be just the corner of the sunken area vs the edge of the lens.

I agree, 2 separate bubble lenses.

Edited by Dday

i thought the same too. but my insider kept telling me i was wrong. she's seen more and better images of it already. we'll just have to wait and see. she has a good eye and she's pretty familiar with my  TK stuff as she's helped me with my old builds.  

i thought the same too. but my insider kept telling me i was wrong. she's seen more and better images of it already. we'll just have to wait and see. she has a good eye and she's pretty familiar with my  TK stuff as she's helped me with my old builds.  

More then the general public has seen of high res screen grabs of other, cut and deleted scenes?! Well, I know you can't give us everything said in confidence but we will just have to wait and see.

Maybe show her the photos above and see what she says. 

From these photos it is straight forward to see that they use a bubble or rather at least that the lenses are separate at least externally. Maybe on the inside they are connected? Details are required! Hahah

In the first photo I posted a few back you can see what looks to be teeth in the frown, there are places where the dark is very dark and some where it is a little pixelated.

Oh wow, you are right.

And with the help of a bit of imagination you can count them, too.

Semm to be four on each side.

And, ... when I let my imagination run wild, they almost look like a half elipses, at least rounded in the upper part.

I think it's good to wait until there is sufficient information to make a good helmet. You can certainly bring one to market earlier (as people are doing now - I even saw one on Amazon) - but they will all eventually get replaced later as better references show up.

• Like 1

This is one thing I love about the dedication to perfection in this community. Most here that create armor or collectibles strive to get it right the first time and most will only produce when the majority of the facts are in. You have to applaud these individuals for NOT rushing out to make a buck. I'll be first to admit I want one NOW! however, after following this thread the last couple days I am convinced patience is the key, and when all is said and done I will be even more pleased to have waited.

• Like 1

Roy and I are pretty close to releasing a very rough V00.1 of the helmet model for the forum. We have a few details to work out before this, but we can make a lot of details so far based on existing photos and making a semi collage of them. This is still very speculative and the design will be refined through careful examination of the photos, constant tweaks, forum and FISD input as well as hopefully another trailer to be released... SOON (I hope, I need more SW DRANK!).

Edited by Dday

Don't know if this was mentioned but... Has anyone thought of maybe contacting LFL/Disney to get photos of front, side, back, inside, everything?

They know what we do and that we need to review our costumes before we clear them, at least for high profile trooping events. We can't represent the new movies in time for their release if we don't know how to build and approve a costume correctly, right? :)

Edited by Nicky

On 12/7/2014 at 7:24 AM, skyone said:

The Force awakens stormtrooper undersuit

------------

Wow, that was fast! Wonder if it's the correct undersuit, especially without any solid references..... I am holding myself back from a purchase lol

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

The photos are pretty bad, you can't actually see the detailing except that the crotch and caboose are shiny. I don't see any ribbing.

I will first say from my experience about firstracing.co.uk is that their material is much too thick and can end up bunching up around the armor pieces. It is a nice suit for average or colder weather, but not recommended for warm/hot... you will boil.