Paint vs. decals

As I eagerly await the arrival of my armor, I have been reading almost non-stop regarding how to put the thing together. As of right now, the whole process scares the bejesus out of me. But more than anything else, I dread putting the finishing touches on the bucket. I've built things before. I am familiar with the Dremel, a drill, installing snaps and rivets, gluing, etc. But I have never been able to paint worth a darn. I like the look of painted helmets, and if I can figure out what sign vinyl is and where to buy it, I'm going to try that method. But I am curious... What is the ratio of those using decals to those who paint their helmets? Is one methond more common than the other? How did you finish your helmet?

I can only speak about decals since that is all I've done. I was stressed out building my armor since I had invested so much in it and I'm also a worrier. The decals were one thing that I didn't have to worry about. People who swear by painting make great points though. They will tell you it's the most rewarding part of the build once you're done, it's more authentic/accurate, and that it's not as hard as you think it is. I painted my frown and ears and after that decided to do decals.

I went through the debate you're going through. Knowing Centurion ANH is hand-painted or hand-painted look, my mind was made up. I think it seems to run about 40% paint, 60% decals. Someone did recommend in another thread getting the hand-painted decals and then painting over them for the texture of painted details. (87% of all statistics are made up lol.)

Ā 

A round brush with a tiny tip, and a fine flat bruch (2mm max) are all you need for the lines and details. Use tape to mask off areas if needed.

I painted mine and it was definitely my favorite part of the build. Ingrid's got it right with brush selection, I would just add a slightly wider flat brush as well for filling in the traps.

Practice on a For Sale sign and get a feel for it...and then decide. Have fun with it! Good luck!

Ā 

Here's my build, there are some pics of the paint process...

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22534-ata-anh-stunt-helmetfinally-started/

I was just looking at what Trooperbay has. Anybody know which set of templates would work for the ATA helmet? Looks like they are specifically made for certain helmets.

The "Dave M" hand painted style.

On 1/20/2013 at 9:38 AM, Ibnzbass4 said:

I was just looking at what Trooperbay has. Anybody know which set of templates would work for the ATA helmet? Looks like they are specifically made for certain helmets.

The Dave M work well and fit nice on the ATA lid. To apply them I use a bit of soapy water and spray it on the helmet first, then apply the decals, the soapy water allows you to be able to move the decals around to get the right position, then all you have to do is use some tissue to squeeze out the water :duim:

Ā 

bmlYuJK.jpg

Ā 

dZtmIBx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to decide on this issue as well during my build because I don't feel I can paint very well and my hands are not that steady. I decided, though, to go ahead and give painting a shot. I got the TM helmet templates from Trooperbay. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be and like stated above, it turned out to be the most rewarding part of my build to me. It looks so awesome hand painted. The one soothing thing is knowing that if you "paint outside the lines" on ABS you can use a toothpick to scrape off the paint and touch up your lines. Works great!