Moose's Armor Questions

Moose

I have tried to contact several armor sources on FISD and only received responses from AM and ATA. Both armor sets look to be pretty good and from the reviews Ive seen seem decent. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and weather there good for a starter. I am also looking for something that can be adjusted as I continue to loose weight. So far I have lost 85lbs since January and now weigh 230 at 5ft 11in tall. Within the next 3-5 months I should be down to or less than 200. Id hate to get an armor set and then have it too big for me later on. Ive read some stuff about trimming and was wondering If these sets can be trimmed and adjusted as I continue to loose weight. Thanks.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's a really hard call.

it all depends upon your final waist and chest sizes.

Ā 

anything over 35" and you're going to need to shim ATA.

adding shims and making your belt with chicago screws not rivets will

allow you to size the torso of the armor as you change size at the waist.

Ā 

the thighs are a different story, as will also the shins to consider.

the size of your legs is just as key as your waist.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Well let me say I have AM I'm building now and it's larger armour. I'm just a squirt under 6' and 165 and you can make it fit it just takes work. If you use e6000 you can take it apart and resize it but let some of the more experienced members chime in and don't take me as gospel. ATA will be easier to centurion with because of the chest and back. It is also more screen accurate. Oh and others will also say stay away from the AM helmet it's quite large. I have heard rumblings of AM reworking molds and things did they give you a delivery window for curiosities sake?

I have an ATA kit. It was my first build and it went pretty well. I am 5ft 11inches tall and weigh a slim 152 pounds. With my ATA kit I didn't have to shim anything and it all seems to fit just fine with even some wiggle room.

I have AM and I like it and I enjoyed the build. Im 6 foot and 240 lbs. The AM kit has the reputation of being the "newbie" kit or the "big guy" kit. It is also not as accurate as the others. When I made my choice I just wanted to be a Stormtrooper and had no idea about EIB or Centurion. I ordered my kit because I could afford it and they had fast turn around. It was not an easy build but it was not difficult either. You will find frustration in any kit you build. I built it as accurate as I could and got EIB with it and I'm now bothered by the chest and how it looks. You will probably go from "I want to be a Stormtrooper", to "I want to be an accurate Stormtrooper", if you spend time on here. You just will. The other "big guy" armor is RT-Mod. Rob can take a few days with email so don't worry about that, he is cool and will answer your email if you sent him one. If I could do it all over again, I would have saved up a little more and waited for the RT-Mod suit personally. I have also talked with Troopermaster and found out that his armor could possibly fit someone a little bigger so check him out too. I would send your measurements to the vendors on your short list and ask them what they think. These guys want to make sure you look good in their kits and will be honest with you. Good luck with whatever you decide on and we will be here to help you along the way. Its what we do.

almost forgot Moose. Do not get the AM helmet. I went with ATA and I love it. RT-Mod makes a larger scale helmet. Can I say "don't get the helmet?". How about, "you will be much happier if you avoid the AM helmet"?.

I was in a similar boat, talking with both AM and ATA. I decided to commit to ATA's wait list because of the screen accuracy and ability to make it centurion grade. I'm also not that big of a guy that I would need "big guy armor." I understand it's going to be a little more work with trimming and such, but it should be worth it. AM has a great product to offer as well. Their kit comes pre-trimmed and I understand from others that it is a fairly easy build to get your suit done and functional pretty quickly.

Ā 

It's all up to you and how far you want to go with your armor. Personally, I want to make my HWT as accurate as possible.

I am in the process of applying for 501st entry. I just finished my armor and am very pleased with it. I am 180lb, 5'10", 36 waist. I went with ATA, and it fits great. It was not a simple build, as I've never done anything like this before. I just took my time, did a lot of research, and went with what I felt worked best for me. I did not need to shim the kit for my waist. It barley makes it lol. I did use elastic straps on the clam to allow some breathing room when needed. I was at first more concerned with height of the back.

Ā 

To explain, the butt plate, kidney plate, and back plate should have no black gaps inbetween them. For the butt and kidney, that was simple. They are strapped together and start from the bottom and work up your backside. The back plate was the issue if it was to rest on the shoulders correctly and hang down. This is where height and body type can come into play, for if your back is too long, then you'll have some gap issues to address.

Ā 

My vote is if you can fit in an ATA kit, then you should do it. I think the kit looks great :)

Contacted both ATA and AM. AM said the armor should be fine. ATA said his would require me to shim. ATA also recommended for me to check out RT-Mod also. Still waiting to hear back from RT-Mod on prices and size. Also had a question on ranks/status. I saw three listed: 501st acceptable, expert infantry, and centurion. The post didnt say anything but requirements and I was wondering if some ranks are more limited. What I mean is do you have to be a certain status to troop at certain events? Im mainly interested in trooping at celebrations and SW weekends at disney orlando. Thanks.

Most likely going to end up going AM. It sounds like its a good starter kit, better suited for my size and it in a good price range for me. Whenever I get in better shape and gain more experience I can always upgrade to a smaller and more screen accurate armor. Ive heard though that it is probably better to go with an ATA or RT-Mod helmet. Any thoughts?

Most likely going to end up going AM. It sounds like its a good starter kit, better suited for my size and it in a good price range for me. Whenever I get in better shape and gain more experience I can always upgrade to a smaller and more screen accurate armor. Ive heard though that it is probably better to go with an ATA or RT-Mod helmet. Any thoughts?

Ā 

I am interested in the AM armor+ATA helmet build. But where can I find decals for ATA bucket?

I am interested in the AM armor+ATA helmet build. But where can I find decals for ATA bucket?

Ive seen several decal sets on ebay for different helmet setups. Idk if any of them are any good though.

ATA helmets are intended to be hand painted.

Ā 

Not sure if you're talking about the whole bucket or just the decals. Either way you are wrong. ATA's HIPS buckets need to be painted, but their ABS doesn't. Unless you want to. For decals, it's the same. You can either buy them and stick em on, or just paint them up for ANH if you want. There are a lot of options.

Looking at a few undersuit options that ive seen posted around the forum; including a 1 piece (the 1st link) and a 2 piece ( the 2nd and 3rd link). Was wondering if anyone has had problems with the shirt riding up their lower back while in their armor. I know this could be 100% avoided with the 1 piece, but Ive read that a 1 piece can be a problem if you have to make a mad dash for the can. Any recommendations on what would be better to go with?

Ā 

Ā 

---------

Ā 

Ive also seen Underarmor version for alot more money, but I dont know if the Logos will be a problem.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

http://stormtrooperundersuit.com/

Ā 

His single piece undersuits have a 2-way zipper, so bio breaks are possible (mind, if you do the TK tinkle before you suit up, bio breaks aren't much of a concern, I've never once had to go weewee during a troop).

Ā 

Oh, and he does a discount if it's for a 501st costume (you don't need to be approved, he helps out cadets).

Edited by Darth Furious

I do love my inexpensive 2-piece East Bay pieces and plan to get more. I also have two 1-piece "dive skin suits" from ProSport or something that I got on Amazon for under $30 each. They are fine too.

Going to go with the EastBay. Are the models I selected ok or is there something else I should go with. I dont know if any of them look too glossy or not.

There's a top without the mock neck. I suggest you get the EVAPOR without the mock neck because it's going to interfere with your neck-seal.

Ā 

And yes, I love my evapor... it feels so nice....

On 9/1/2012 at 9:48 PM, bigironvault said:

There's a top without the mock neck. I suggest you get the EVAPOR without the mock neck because it's going to interfere with your neck-seal.

Ā 

And yes, I love my evapor... it feels so nice....

Is this the version your referring to? ----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Extreme racing: ---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

After alot of reading I have sources for my undersuit and boots. Already have an E-11. Going with an ATA helmet, and most likely be going with the AM armor; Still cant get ahold of RT-Mod.

Looking at http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19803&st=0 for the canvas belt

(plan on going ANH Hero so I hope this is a good combo.)

Still need source suggestions for Gloves, holster, neckseal, and possibly another belt source. Any suggestions?

Edited by Moose