A Balance in the force- costume vs. prop replica.

TK bondservnt

hello troopers!

I've been noticing a situation where many people who have prop replicas have a strong opinion.

most casual costumers don't have such passions.

don't we as troopers owe this simple concept I share here as a pathway to bring the casual costumer

into the prop replica concept by being informative, nice and polite.

I see a bit of eliteism and superiority expressed in some opinions around the forum, and as an attache'

it makes me feel some of the lessons I've learned about how to communicate.

I've been though my education on how to share data, say it a certain way and it's 'fanboy/fangirl' type

input. very short, and almost deprecating in it's transmission. like starting an argument.

I've been suspended for being emotional, and fanboy style communications was a way of having fun, being

a little imperial, and riding on the edge! the way some forums operate is to insult the newcomer, and

a caste system develops between new members, and old guard 'experts'.

that is the way this forum USED to be.

the FISD has come a long way since the ARMOR battles of 07' and 08' when people used to argue between

TE TE2 and AP accuracy. it became hot in here!

my point here ladies and gentlemen is exactly that.

we should share our passions in a gentle and informative way, perhaps even with a smile?

don't you think it's better to accept everyone on an even scale even if they want to mod a rubies?

or fix up that old FX kit?

so what does everyone think about finding a balance in the force of TK costuming?

are you in?

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

we should share our passions in a gentle and informative way, perhaps even with a smile?

You bring up a great point, Vern. Since we communicate through technology, which doesn't allow us to see context clues in a person's face to help us understand what they are saying (and with what emotions), it is important to communicate a bit more carefully than we might in person. "Troopers helping troopers" is an unofficial (or official?) motto, and helping eachother in positive way is a very worthy goal that we should all strive for.

I'm in. Like most, to join the Empire as a stormtrooper has been a lifelong dream. My knowledge level as a newbie about armor is practically non-existent. I was so fortunate to come across a site with people with such a great and vast knowledge of costuming. I would not know a good suit of armor from a bad one without the FISD. I am very appreciative of of the knowledge given and the patience from everyone. I'm glad I haven't come across any "better than you" attitudes. I can't wait to get my armor built, and plan on passing on any knowledge I pick up along the way.

Being a casual user of the FISD, and a heavy user over the MEPD for years I can see different attitudes within members. But overall, both forums are very welcoming. Specially compared to other forums.

Anyway. We over the MEPD have found that a welcoming and supporting attitude in the forum, specially from the most experienced members towards the newbies will reduce the gap between the "I only want any armor" guys and the "going for the ultimate prop replica" one.

Not everyone will go for a prop replica, but most will try within their possibilities to go the extra mile. Many new MEPD users' armors now meet the standard we set in the first draft of the SWAT program when applying for basic 501st clearance. And that is awesome.

I understand the big difference between both of our detachments but I have seen than making a welcoming atmosphere will only make everything better and better armors and troopers all around.

:)

Troopers helping troopers is a great motto. And very inspiring for sure. Let's keep making this place even better.

Saludos.

Edited by iconoclasta_88

I totally agree! The people on here are great yet there are some that disagree with views of some that's fine we are human. I've never been flamed and I'm a newb. I've made some post and had comments follow them that I wanted to fire back because that's my nature but, after being here for the short period I have that's not the environment.

Thanks troopers!

Future trooper James

( A ) I agree wholeheartedly, Vern! :)

and ( B ) I am not even sure what the difference between a prop replica and a whatever whatever is. (yet)

As far as I'm concerned, when people come to FISD I'm thrilled and overjoyed because no matter what's up with their armor situation, being here pretty much ensures they're pretty serious about it and want to do the right thing by it. So it behooves us to make them feel welcome and work with them to help out. Not everyone feels the need to be superior all the time.

( C ) That's why I like virtual Twister :D

I can say from my own experience that this place is why I was approved for my TK in the first place. I started my research here and used it as a resource to complete my build. The willingness to help and more importantly challenge newbies like myself are what its about in my book. I have watched threads where pride and ego can push people's buttons but for the most part its in the name of accuracy and wanting to see the best the person can do. I'll be honest, there was a time when I posted a topic asking if anyone was selling an e-11 and Vern's reply rubbed me wrong. Then I took the time to research what he builds and saw his passion for his art and I now appreciate and respect his craftsmanship and knowledge of them (still trying to buy one Vern.. hint hint) . If he comments on a build and its about the blaster, you can take it to the bank that he's right. If it wasn't for people like Vern and the rest of the "locals", I know my suit would not look as good as it does and I'm thankful for that. Troopers helping troopers is more than a motto its really what makes this place special. So thanks again to everyone here that makes this community what it is for newbs like myself. You guys are building up the next generation of trooper and motivating us to build better suits than we thought we could when we found FISD.

well this is going along very well, and ingrid and I have our own little joke running though the forums...

maybe she can explain the origins of virtual twister. hint, it's a way of having fun in a challenging post.

isaac, I have to say, it takes a lot of patience and time to develop the detailed opinions I have developed, and just like many people,

there was a little emotional tasking going on, and I'm STILL learning how to write posts that sound as good as "in real life"

if I had enough time in my life, I could build the 4 blasters and 7 suits of armor that I'm working on, that and holsters.

it's really become a full time task around here to even get a holster out!

prop replica people know what I'm talking about here.

let's maintain a balance in the force!

keep those opinions coming! we all need to learn!

I am shocked and disappointed that I had no clue that it is spelled "behoove." I was sure I caught Igrid Wordy McWordenberg in a misspelling.

Here's a thread that sums up why FISD sucks the least out of all forums in the interwebs:

www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19402

Aloha nui,

-Eric

I'm a prop collector and I am also a member on forums like Rebelscum, SSG, SSF, Sandtroopers or RPF for a very long time. My main words when collecting are: "respect for everyone". I encountered my fair share of scalpers/flippers, hoarders of information, and some people who didn't even bother replying to a PM if kindly asked for simple information. But on the other hand there were so many cool guys that were kind and helpful, that in the end the balance was on their side waaaay more than with the non-helpers. :)

The way this forum used to be was that those that knew from whence they spoke did so with the aim of helping others with knowledge they had gleaned over many years through hard work and resaearch.

Sadly these days the way it works is those who are most vocal, have a high post count or act like they have the remotest clue as to what should be being done are the ones that post/ are listened to.

Regardless of which particular orifice they are talking from at the time.

This is why so many of the old and truley knowledgeable members no longer post.

Yet they are still active in the hobby.

Funny that.

But those "old" members educated some decent "apprentices";)

If it were'nt for those purists, prop replicator, accurazis, etc we'd still have 90ies FX armors with black buttons, bubble heads, wrong boots,hard plastic hand guards, etc...

But those "old" members educated some decent "apprentices";)

If it were'nt for those purists, prop replicator, accurazis, etc we'd still have 90ies FX armors with black buttons, bubble heads, wrong boots,hard plastic hand guards, etc...

+1

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

But those "old" members educated some decent "apprentices" ;)

Karin: You are one of the few on here who's opinion can be trusted 100%

Sadly the "message" seems to have been diluted far too much along the way. Far too many wanting to make a name for themselves and relying soley on outposting/outlasting those who actually knew what they were on about rather than members posting who have actually done the legwork/served their time and know what they are espousing.

And the majority of those apprentices have moved on also.

Ask yourself this:

There are a coulpe of countries that encourage EVERY new member to build to EIB standard, and they do.

Yet they choose not to register here nor apply for EIB.

Hmmm, why could that be?

Edited by carbonitekid

interesting how someone's opinion can be counted on 100%?

Karin's awesomeness has been scientifically proven... by scientists.

What's that Karin? if I eat ice cream covered in pesto on a leap day then monkeys will fly out of my butt? Sounds right to me.

-Eric

• Like 1

Karin's awesomeness has been scientifically proven... by scientists.

What's that Karin? if I eat ice cream covered in pesto on a leap day then monkeys will fly out of my butt? Sounds right to me.

-Eric

I'll look into it ;)

But I heard a similar story about macadamia nuts!

My mother always told me to keep my mouth shut if I don't know anything for certain.

Oh,my BF just told that "nothing can be 100%; just 95,5% plus/minus 2 standard deviations with a probabilty level of p<0,001"

I don't know what it mean exactly, be he says, "Close enough"

But let's not derail.This thread has some good points

how does this show a balance between a costume and a replica?

karin's opinion has nothing to do with a balance between these two factors.

this is not about a single person on the forum.

it's about understanding the difference between having fun, and being pushed into being a perfectionist.

eric and karin miss the point here.

There's also a difference between being a perfectionist and one that doesn't ignore detail when it's easily implemented without impacting practicality.

no single person is responsible for the standards of accuracy we have here.

it's a group effort.

explain that in plain conversation mathias? what do you mean exactly?

sounds really profound... but it says nothing.

I mean that when there is zero (or next to zero) difference in cost, effort or practicality there's those that choose accuracy, and there's those that do not.

Then, by perfectionist I mean those that doesn't shy away from going to hell and back for the perfect replica down to the most minuscule detail.

that still does not explain.

it's far too generalized to make sense in this context.

it's not about money. or time. it's about being rude or accepting.

we don't support or help our fellow trooper by being eliteist or push a person to perfection.