A Balance in the force- costume vs. prop replica.

TK bondservnt

Rob, I must slighltly disagree with you.

See,my BF worked in the movie business some time ago.

Extras don't treat props and costumes very well. Eg., after a long day of shooting (16 hrs)they literally rip them of and throw them into their bin. Esp if they work on a low budget film, 6 days a week for 1-2 months. If make the math, this results in many, many troops.

But you're right. You have to make it practical while retaining the look

Edited by Sonnenschein

the point of this thread is that I see a danger in pushing for accuracy when perhaps the recruit does not want it.

this is not about just me.

it's about anyone who enters the FISD.

their armor should not be criticised unless in a submission for EIB or Centurion.

some members join and then the prop replicators jump on them like it's

SHARK WEEK

and tear the armor apart.

I personally believe that this violates rule #1

so this makes us look bad.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

a balance between costume and prop replica.

it all depends upon your point of view.

are you in? ( I accept any 501 costumer as an equal )

or out? ( I only approve a perfect replica )

Rob, I must slighltly disagree with you.

See,my BF worked in the movie business some time ago.

Extras don't treat props and costumes very well. Eg., after a long day of shooting (16 hrs)they literally rip them of and throw them into their bin. Esp if they work on a low budget film, 6 days a week for 1-2 months. If make the math, this results in many, many troops.

But you're right. You have to make it practical while retaining the look

Good point. You have bested me again.

this all misses the point. and it is not constructive. most of the "prop replicator" types are the ones who need to learn from having a BALANCE and being accepting. the FISD does not need to be seen as a strict taskmaster of rude people who say "your costume sucks" you need to go EIB or "you are not centurion" fix this and that, and then we'll like you. it needs to be a little more polite and human. that's my point.

I think I see what Vern is trying to say here.

He is talking about common courtesy towards fellow Troopers and new recruits in the use of the written word, choosing our words well ie; more 'Constructive Feedback", Less "Judgementalism" or "Snarkiness". Being aware that, as Robert Heinlein said ,"Common courtesy is the grease that lubricates the gears of Society". We are not here to Judge each other, but to assist one another in our individual quests for our perfection, whatever that may be. For example I am a TX Shadowtrooper and was still welcomed here for advice and guidance on building my costume because of the similarities, not shunned because I am not wearing White Armor (YET!)....I think Vern is trying to say that we need to temper our need to push for higher quality costumes and higher standards, in balance with our greater need to be a positive place where we are truly "Troopers Helping Troopers" so that we do not push away new recruits because the task is seen as too daunting or complicated, or they are not welcome. We must maintain our standards, and we should keep each other on our best legs, while motivating those that are willing and able to take it to the very pinnacle of perfection. Not everyone will be willing or, for that matter, able to reach those levels due to everything from money to skills... Pleae tell me if I am off here Vern

That wasn't my intention!

Besides, this was the idea/opinion of my better half.

:P I didn't mean it like that. I meant I see that point of view and agree with it as it makes better sense than the point I made.

I think I see what Vern is trying to say here.

He is talking about common courtesy towards fellow Troopers and new recruits in the use of the written word, choosing our words well ie; more 'Constructive Feedback", Less "Judgementalism" or "Snarkiness". Being aware that, as Robert Heinlein said ,"Common courtesy is the grease that lubricates the gears of Society". We are not here to Judge each other, but to assist one another in our individual quests for our perfection, whatever that may be. For example I am a TX Shadowtrooper and was still welcomed here for advice and guidance on building my costume because of the similarities, not shunned because I am not wearing White Armor (YET!)....I think Vern is trying to say that we need to temper our need to push for higher quality costumes and higher standards, in balance with our greater need to be a positive place where we are truly "Troopers Helping Troopers" so that we do not push away new recruits because the task is seen as too daunting or complicated, or they are not welcome. We must maintain our standards, and we should keep each other on our best legs, while motivating those that are willing and able to take it to the very pinnacle of perfection. Not everyone will be willing or, for that matter, able to reach those levels due to everything from money to skills... Pleae tell me if I am off here Vern

I have tears in my eyes.

nailed it.

Evilboy,

I think we all know what Vern means.

But some of his "facts" are not true. I have yet to see an example were some was told he's inferior because of his armor.

Look at my quote a few pages earlier:

"If it were'nt for those purists, prop replicator, accurazis, etc we'd still have 90ies FX armors with black buttons, bubble heads, wrong boots,hard plastic hand guards, etc...

diplomat should be an attache' skill level.

because I'm pushing us to be DIPLOMATS

and negotiate with patience.

karin.. we already read your quote... and it's noted.

I think if someone puts their suit up and says here it is, what do you think (most people do this) it's left open for people to post about it.

I only ever hit on the obvious things, biceps to high, no strap between bicep and forearm, sniper plate wrong leg or under the thigh and so on. Not things that are nitpicky, but things that make this the place to be to get your armor right. I thought most people were the same.

Vern, acutally you were pushing some into more accuracy, where you tried to remote your own (inaccurate) pipe blaster plans, even tough you knew there highly accurate plans available here on this board.

Without even asking, you told his work was INACCURATE.

I represent the FISD as an attache' and I present diplomacy as a good path for us to follow.

I believe that we should always present our understanding of the stormtrooper costume

in a positive way.

well the bbc plans are not correct and they are in my signature for anyone to see.

open.

my pipe build plans produce builds with electrical conduit and the DD's kit.

anyone can see that the bbc plans are off if they have a real sterling.

cocking channel and tube length.

and my only problem with the BBC plans are those elements.

the plans I have produced have to have the doopy do's pipe kit.

so they are not 'sterling' plans... they are optimised for the

pipe build kit from doopy's

my plans only correct the flaws in the bbc plan when applied to the doopy do's pipe build kit.

diplomat should be an attache' skill level.

because I'm pushing us to be DIPLOMATS

and negotiate with patience.

karin.. we already read your quote... and it's noted.

Yes Vern, and that applies to you as well. The way I see it, you're the only one here screaming and shouting calling people rude.

Aww, don't cry Vern...Theres no crying in baseb...err...costuming! :blush: But seriously, We must remember that we are here for one central reason...to get chicks.... to help kids who are sick and need to escape from their sad place. We are ALL passionate about SW, and we all want to be as awesome as we possibly can and that will always vary from person to person. "Judge not, lest ye be judged" and all that....If someone needs to feel superior about their costume, or their knowledge of a certain prop or character....well, that is representative of some other deficiency in their life...and they should examine that so they can be a happier person. The Golden Rule...is the rule we should attempt to go by. Some people just need to feel superior. don't respond to that. if you ignore it long enough, they will stop. Obvious Troll is Obvious...