The armor modifications you wouldn't want to be without. . . ?

OK - probably none of the actual screen versions had computer fans or mini fans installed. After all - the screen versions were needed for short periods of time, unlike some of the costume events that the 501st holds which, in the case of parades, may demand that the armor be kept on for several hours at a crack.

Do I'm wondering what modifications others out there have found the most useful?

So far my list includes:

1. fans
  2. voice (because it is nice to talk and sound like the movies)
  3. gloves - the rubber ones are a little uncomfortable and sweaty for longer troops
  4. ??

I wonder what other modifications have been made that keep the overall integrity of the gear, but help out in those little ways? Has anyone ever converted the thermal detonator to carry your wallet? Has anyone managed to conceal some type of rubber canteen bladder under the plates and run a drinking straw into the helmet? has any one designed their black underwear with a trapdoor to handle emergency washroom runs? (I'm not trying to be silly - one of the things that has crossed my mind recently has been just how hard a washroom break could be - I know you want to drink enough to keep hydrated, but I am also guessing that one doesn't want to drink too much. . . . ) So for those of you who have experience, what modifications would you always do again?

I haven't been on a troop yet but my body suit is a one piece black racing under suit that has a double zipper -- one that starts at the bottom and goes up and one that starts at the top and goes down. I imagine it will be nice for using the restroom on troops.

I'm pretty curious about what voice mods people are using. I've heard some that just add a noise after you talk but I think I'm more interested in ones that change your voice a little or something...

I can't really comment on it yet because I haven't received it but I did quite a bit of research and I decided that the Aker + iComm combo seems to be pretty good. Should be getting it next week and will let you chaps know.

I have no fans in my helmet. As long as I'm able to move around and not just stand still that's no problem for me. Not having hot glued my lenses in it leaves a small crack around the eyes that hot air ventilates from. If you haven't don this I highly recommend it. Nobody sees it's not air-tight around your eyes, and the original helmets were not either.

If you wear rubber gloves you "have to" wear inner cotton/lycra gloves. It makes everything so much better. It's better than nomex gloves for me. DO IT! ;)

fans

rubber gloves with silk liners latex handplates too!

voice

a light and comfortable undersuit. usually just a 2 part leotard garment is best. no racing suits, or one parters.

no nomex goves.

no overdone helmet padding. lighter and better airflow. more comfort!

troops allow for breaks.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

All original screen/prop accurate strapping for me, and no fancy helmet mods for me. And it works perfectly!

I had fans in my first trooping helmet but they never really did anything useful for me besides making a bit of noise - which sucked.

My new strapping system (still in progress, most of my suit is re-done, and still wearable in the meantime) and slight extra leg trimming. I can now run, kneel, sit, crouch, I can almost squat! And you wouldn't think it to look at my legs when I'm standing normally.

Also, my chin strap! I would have lost my helmet yesterday without it.

Re bio breaks: I always avoid too much coffee and have a wee before I suit up, and I've never needed to go during a troop (even the 11 mile walk with TK-6283). I actually regret cutting my cod.

i do have fans in my helmet and to be honest i dont really think they do much,if its hot outside they just pull hot air in!

i cut my cod but wont be doing it with my next though,i have an undersuit that zips up at the back an has a small zipper at the cod to make bathroom

breaks easier.as was said minimul helmet padding with a strap,the more room you have in your helmet is the key,im afraid i do use nomex gloves most of the time!

The thermal detonator mod has been done and there is a thread here describing it. Still, the best place to store your keys and other valuables while trooping is either in your secured armor bin or in your handler's pocketbook. ;)

If you're are going to stuff fans and other electronics inside your helmet, I would keep in mind that all of that adds weight and may affect the balance of the helmet. If not properly balanced they could cause it to list to one side or another. With past helmets I found fans useful to prevent lens fogging, but I don't use them in my current helmets due to the weight/balance issue, and the added noise may interfere with my Aker/iComm functionality. Like Mathias, as long as I can move around it's usually not a problem.

Other options for non-prop accurate but functional (and uber-cool) accessories are a video camera, and a short-range radio comm system. "TrooperTim" actually records troops via his helmet cam and posts them on his YouTube channel. The UKG used to use something they called "Troopercomm", and I have my own homemade (and fully removable) two-way radio comm system installed in my armor.

As far as bio breaks, I don't take them while in armor. Even for long periods (over 4 hours) in armor, I've learned to regulate my fluid intake such that I can get enough to remain hydrated even in hot weather, but not so much as to have to pee in the middle of the troop. I also avoid caffeine for obvious reasons.

I have one fan in my helmet and it only serves to blow air across my face as a kind of comfort. It serves no cooling purpose, but I do notice when the battery is low or dead. I can show you how to make an inexpensive voice amp that's lightweight and doesn't take up much room, and show you how to make it pretty. I have both rubber gives and Nomex, and I prefer the Nomex by far. It's really up to you which you find more comfortable and which you can endure for hours and hours.

And as far as "screen accuracy" for helmet padding and strapping, that's also a personal choice. I'd rather use today's technology to be comfortable than rely on how things were done in the 70's. I remember the 70's, and they were uncomfortable in many ways! It's personal choice. Check out your local Troopers. We're like snowflakes: no two are alike.

Edited by Sandeman

I have dual fans in my helmet with dual battery packs and the wireless mic brain set-up and its balanced great. Everything fits really well and easily accessible even with some padding. My lenses have slight gaps for air to move in and around and you can't even tell at all being the way the eye openings are formed. I have both types of gloves and I really like the Nomex ones..so comfortable and my hands don't get hot. I watch my fluid intake before a troop and make sure to go before suiting up. Gatorade type fluids are best to consume while you are trooping because you won't need to relieve yourself so often and still stay hydrated,but always take breaks, it does your body and mind good! The Aker voice amp and Memorex wireless set-up is what I run and I think they work awesome! Get some rechargable batteries that have a m/aH rating of at least 2300 or higher for long-life and higher power strength..that's my $0.02 worth ;)

Fans aren't necessary, really. I live in Puerto Rico and it's VERY hot here and I've trooped under the sun, like 90 or 95 degrees (probably hotter) and I sweat a LOT. Unless you have some sort of medical condition... well yeah, you might need a bunch of fans so you can keep your face cool.

I live in Miami and fans are an absolute necessity. They are not for keeping your face or head cool. Two tiny fans will not really do anything in that case anyway. They are for avoiding lens fogging. I've tried a MILLION different things to stop fogging. In my last bucket, I think it was just covered with so much dirt and slime that they just stopped fogging. In my new bucket, I discovered that putting two fans near the mouth opening in a pull configuration helps the best. Basically it sucks all the hot air from my mouth and blows it out of the frown. This works over 9000 times better than any system I've used.

Also, voice, meh. I have a wireless mic setup with an aker amp and honestly even when I had it set up I barely ever used it. I used it more with MP3s honestly. I don't even use it anymore.

to me the less in a helmet is better - more room for air to circulate but then in Seattle we never get much above 80 anyways. The only mod I'd really want is vox in my helmet, but that it's self-contained, e.g. speakers behind the mike tips. My garrison mate has a wicked setup with the RomFx, batteries, speakers etc. all in his helmet and he's got the best sounding vox in the garrison, IMHO. I've never heard an analog system that matches the digital quality of the RomFX, though they are very, very expensive.

I use dual fans and mine actually DO cool off my head. Also keep my lenses from fogging up. When I turn them off it is a MAJOR difference in temperature.

It's so humid down here that even with the fans I don't notice a difference. :)

Do you have them pointed at your face? I live in the deep south and it is very humid and scorching hot here also. My fans are an absolute neccesity for me. I keep them located at about my jaw line pointed at my cheeks. For me, it makes a huge difference. If I didn't have them I would NOT be trooping in the summertime here in "ya'll-land"..LOL