The n00b's list of BAD eBay armor

Darth Hilarious

I just noticed this thread: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=18039

And I thought to myself, "makerofthings!? Again? Really?"

I think it's time to make a list of the known, long-running eBay offenders, to save everyone some time.

Just a simple, "If [THIS GUY] makes it, don't even bother looking."

So I'll start it off:

• makerofthings! - From the US. Accurate but flimsy styrene armor, good for display only.
  • treckfreek - Australian. Sells recast FX kits (with two left shins).
  • dallasvintagetoys - US, sells the same recast FX. (good toys there, though)
  • jimjedi3002 - US. Sells bad recast AP armour.

Surely some people can add to this list.

• 2 weeks later...

Treckfreek has recasted EVERYTHING he sells.

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. Funnily enough, the TK kits he's selling aren't even made by him. He's passing them along for someone else (I'll have to go dig out their email address...).

Anything from stormtrooper-shop or jedi robe (they are the same) - they sell overprized recast FX bundled with a redcast SDS stunt helmet.

Not only are they recasts, and really expensive recasts, they are also really bad ones.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Treckfreek has recasted EVERYTHING he sells.

He has also listed Maul robes using the photos from Kropserkel site. I notified them and Treckfreek... his reply "Good for you!" Automaticly put him on my **** list!

This list should be added to the trusted builders list so the good and bad builders are on the same thread for easy reference. Great job.

We have a pinned thread in the same section about armour to avoid.

So I ordered some armor from Treckfreek BEFORE discovering this thread. I mistakenly thought it was official FX armor, as that was the picture he used in his auction. My question is this: Can this armor be modified to be 501st legal? There are a few things I plan on changing, particularly with the helmet. Instead of aerators, I recieved what is obviously some after-market volume knobs for a radio. The armor itself look OK to me, but it needs things such as a canvas belt, holster, etc. I know I need to spend some cash to improve it to my standards, I just hope I can make it to the 501st's standards....

Brian, the FX is still approvable with some work.

The first recommendation is replace the helmet, the FX lid is horribly inaccurate.

Then basically follow this thread:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12478

It is a bit old but it covers most everything that can and should be done.

Thank you very much. After I found this thread, I was very concerned whether or not I would be accepted with the armor I have. Thank you for the link to improvong the FX armor. Fortunately most of those changes were ones I planned on making anyway. I was pleased to see the section on closing the side gaps however. I was planning on using the FX helmet, at least for a while anyway, but I guess that will have to go. I have some time anyway to save for it since I won't be able to troop anyways until October or November. I figure that gives me plenty of time to make the mods and put it together.

You can still use the FX helmet at the moment, but moves are being made to have it banned for new recruits in attempts to stop the helmets from entering the legion. So it can be used, but I think nearly everyone would recommend upgrading. :)

Ask around too, there are plenty of cheap options for helmets on here, and sometimes decent B-grade pulls go on sale for cheap.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...