RT-Mod Helmet interior Prototype.

I have been spending many hours at my real job, sitting in hotel rooms, surfing for and doodling up ideas for the interior of the trooper helmet. We all know the encyclopedia version looks good but practical wise not the greatest. We want ventilation, microphones, speakers, power supplies etc. But there are issues - Ventilation: you dont want blowing on your mic or in your eyes, feedback: from speakers to mic, cables: running out of the bottom from/to speakers and/ or battries. And you dont want the inside looking cluttered and sloppy. Ideally the helmet should be competely self contained.

Well, after going through dozens of versions I settled on this layout.

Features:

-Eyes: A unifed look and tied into the 'Tears' for static ventilation. Will take regular or bubble lenses.

-Mouth: Also tied into the static ventilation and given some cosmetic appeal.

-Fan: A regular 25mm low db fan mounted sideways in the housing. Draws air from the left cheek tube neck area and pushes it across the front of the faceplate and exits out the right side do to the layout. No mic interference and a quiet, constant flow of fresh air.

-AMP: Mic and amp system board mounted in center unit feed to speakers in insulated spaker housings with sound through to outside via Mic-tips.

-Battery: Mounted in right cheek tube. 4.5v AAA or dual 9v configuration.

-Switches: Not shown but the swithces are mounted in the ears. The bump itself is the switch. Slide it forward to the center position to turn on the system. Right ear for the Amp. The left ear bump does the ventilation.

With the batteries installed it adds about 6oz. to the weight of the helmet but is nicely balanced from front to back and side to side.

I went with the gray scheme because the black tended to hide some of the cosmetic appeal of the mod.

As I get this project further along I'll try to update.

Cheers,

Rob

Here's the mock-up...

vs7x4E1.jpg

Rob... that's bada$$. Have you thought about working with Jim Sauter (TK6294) to integrate his iComm and Aker amp products?

Aloha,

-Eric

Edited by Darth Aloha

that is totally sweet. The grey is nice but id liek to be able to make it match the interior of my helmet now.

Excellent work. Count me as very interested in a kit.

Thanks for the kind words.

It's a custom fit to my buckets but I did test fit it into the original sized units and fits well enough in those as well.

I'm working on a bigger housing, for bigger circuit boards, to go between the speakers as an option for those with different gear. Problem is if you get to much bigger than what's there now the area in front of your mouth gets a bit claustrphobic.

I've never seen first hand the Iker or iComm units so I can't say they'll fit.

For those of us with a wireless mic the conduit on the left would help if it can wrap to the back (optionally) to connect to the tranciever. Not sure how that might connect with the mic, amp, mic tip speakers you're mentioning though.

I haven't used mic tip speakers, but I have heard a good deal about feedback issues with them. I wonder if you want to make the innards specific to that audio setup or somewhat adapatable to others. For my part I can see getting just a kit of the panels and incorporating my own gear, though I don't think those fan chamers would hold the two squirrel fans I use (open to trying the ones you are using though I suppose).

wwXAE5P.jpg

uPTJCnp.jpg

5R8G9JI.jpg

wLfkiGN.jpg

0TPUWeB.jpg

A fantastic start! In my perfect world I prefer mic tip speakers. My garrison mate used blue tac to eliminate feedback. I wonder if a RomFx could fit in there?

shweetness!!

are you gonna sell these? :)

I'm still trying to guage if it's something that I could offer as an add-on but which isn't cost prohibitive. At the present it's a bit time consuming. The balance between my time, the time it takes and the cost people would likely pay has not been reached. However...

I can see, if the interest is there, where once the molds are finalized I could form them them and offer it as a kit for the DIY'ers.

Presently I'm doodling up ideas for the inside ear area and rear trapz. I think I have found the final draft which I will fashion into molds and have a kick at.post-974-0-50039000-1327468953_thumb.jpg

I'm still trying to guage if it's something that I could offer as an add-on but which isn't cost prohibitive. At the present it's a bit time consuming. The balance between my time, the time it takes and the cost people would likely pay has not been reached. However...

I can see, if the interest is there, where once the molds are finalized I could form them them and offer it as a kit for the DIY'ers.

Presently I'm doodling up ideas for the inside ear area and rear trapz. I think I have found the final draft which I will fashion into molds and have a kick at.post-974-0-50039000-1327468953_thumb.jpg

If you need a tester just let me know ... :smiley-sw013:

• 5 months later...

Rob, any progress? I've been looking for some realism to put into the helmet I order from you, this might just be it!