ATA vs. AP Armor.....

What is the difference in quality between the ATA kit with helmet and the AP kit with helmet? Other than price. It looks as though those are boiling down to my final options for my body type. Obviously the AP kit costs a lot more but where are the differences?

Far as I know, the AP kit is smaller than the ATA. And the AP helmet has a bump in the right eye and the ATA doesn't

AP helmet:

-------

ATA helmet:

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

the AP is different from the ata.

I have both and have made 2 ata and about 6 or 7 ap kits.

the ata is different in the arms, having a handed design for left and right forearms and biceps.

the ata has been around for a while and the maker produces a good product.

the helmet is a little larger at the neck than the ap.

I am personally a little biased towards the AP.

the ATA abs kit is a very good buy, and you won't lose anything by going ata all the way.

don't be tempted to mis match a helmet with another set of armor. I'm glad you're not going that way.

I like the AP belt a lot better than the ata, and I like the arms on the ata for accuracy standpoints.

the kits both have their merits and their critics.

I have both.. so that says they fit my needs for white and black armor quite well.

the ATA kits I've made- one white and one black.

I'm making tons and tons of ap kits. I have ANH ESB HWT TKC all using the AP kit as the base. my blackhole trooper is an ATA kit.

I used to have the AP armor and helmet and i would mix and match my helmets. Ive had tons of ata helmets as well. Personally i think my AP armor was too slim. Im really skinny as it is btw. If i were to go again at another set, it would be ATA. Like Verne said. It has nicer arms. Plus i like the shoulder bells since they arent so skinny or rotj style. AP has a bluish hint in the plastic. ATA has a nice color to it.

All in all. You should look at other peoples armor and see which one suits you the best.

I can only speak about ATA, as that is the kit I am building now. It is very good quality, brillant shiny white and very sturdy. Trimming is the biggest pain in the butt, although it sounds like you have to trim either set. Price and a couple of recommendations by others that I feel very well versed/experts is why I went with ATA. Down the road if I decide to do another trooper, dirty or shadow, I will def order from ATA again.

When I first started out looking for types of armor to buy, AP was a top contender for me, but a lot has happened in that short amount of time (under a year), so if I were coming into this hobby now with a budget I'd definitely go for ATA.

Thanks guys! I guess it's a no brainer then. ATA all the way! Now I'll be able to get all of the supplies and accessories I'll need because now it'll fall within the round 1 budget! Sweet!!

• 3 weeks later...

Things change almost monthly with ATA and SuperTrooper should really jump in with the latest. He's out on family vacation with no real Internet access, but I'll forward on this link.

The helmet for sure is different. AP is a smooth cap and back while ATA still retains bumpiness, even in ABS. ATA bought one set of helmet molds from TE2 (TE2 actually had two different helmt molds, but never offered the second one), so will soon be offering two versions of lids if he hasn't already.

ATA used to sell different right/left biceps but I think now has dropped the non-ANH left one and just sells two right biceps like AP. I have a set of ATA due to arrive any day and will have to check the forearms, but I suspect they may be different. I know the AP forearms have smaller rounder dimples on the outside, whereas TE2 has larger square ones. I suspect ATA will be the same.

Also, IIRC aren't there differences in the shins as well?

Lastly...AP has been around for ages and the armor holds up really well over time (at least it used too - not sure how his latest suits are being pulled). ATA also is very high quality. I don't think you can go wrong either way - it's just which small differences appeal to you.

Geez - used to be discussions were all between FX, RT, and AP/TE. How far we've come from a costuming standpoint that not people are sweating deltas between AP, ATA, T/MC,etc.

• Like 1

I only have an AP helmet, so I cant speak for the armor, but I just got an ATA armor kit and its really nice and sturdy. The white color of the plastic amazing. The kit shipped with different biceps and forearms, but my arms are pretty skinny so the small bicep isn't a problem. Also ATA is great when you need replacement parts

AP is much smaller than ATA. What size is he? I've seen guys up to 260lbs wearing ATA.

Huuumm really! I would like to see a side to side comparisation with measurments, I don't see how ATA could be that bigger then AP which has lineage from a real screen helmet, the only thing that could make ATA look bigger is the assembly, it's usually the angle of which the face and cap are connected togheter. all the parts should be the same size.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80

• 2 weeks later...

this thread is extremelly helpful since i've been talking to both ATA and AP guys!!!!!

what about the helmets size??

i've noticed some helmets are a bit bigger than others... some a bit smaller...

does that also has to do with how you put them together... or the helmet kits themselves vary in size a bit?

i know it's not really a big difference... but i have the impression that for me it will make a difference if the helmet ends up too big!

thanks

Edited by gattirenata

this thread is extremelly helpful since i've been talking to both ATA and AP guys!!!!!

what about the helmets size??

i've noticed some helmets are a bit bigger than others... some a bit smaller...

does that also has to do with how you put them together... or the helmet kits themselves vary in size a bit?

i know it's not really a big difference... but i have the impression that for me it will make a difference if the helmet ends up too big!

thanks

If the helmet has lineage from a real movie helmet it's impossible to see size difference from maker to maker, the FX now called AM are fan sculpts and way oversized. Yes assembly can make a helmet look bigger or smaller, all depend the angle of face plate, low or high brow also creates illusion of overall size, Hero or Stunt though the parts are the same exact size the hero always looked smaller to me. Your best bet is to get helmet that has lineage from a movie helmet.

Mark