ANH HERO PROMO HELMET REPLICA (LOTS OF PICS)

This is another hero helmet replica i've been working on every now and then over the last year.

Its my second TM hero which is inted to look as close as possible to how the original would have looked back in 1976.

So the mic tip weathering, vocoder weathering and the grey paint on the ears do not match how they look on the original now.

I've done a bit of reshaping to match the little indents that are here and there on the original from mold damage, like around the frown, on the tears and traps. I've reworked the grey painted part of the ears to better match the orignal. I also used my own brow trim.

There is still a LOT to do. Only the cap has had a tiny bit of weathering started, still much more weathering to add and the face has not been weathered at all yet, as i need to paint the tube stripes first.

I spray painted the whole helmet, as i wanted to match the shade of white to the original as much as possible. Its impossible to tell its ever been painted, even with a very close inspection, as i used my wet sand and T-cut painting method.

I masked off the inside on this one, so its bare white ABS inside. Painting the inside has been the only thing that gives away the fact that my older helmets have been painted.

I've not matched the angles of my photos to the photos of the original very well. I will replace all these photos with better ones when i have finished the helmet.

The following photos are in pairs, my replica and the original below it.

98792997.jpg

39737572.jpg

54406264.jpg

11312703.jpg

26418452.jpg

66209804.jpg

57247406.jpg

95352157.jpg

27039123.jpg

99959888.jpg

60789013.jpg

81680152.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Keith.

Some more...

71177270.jpg

17639300.jpg

53935098.jpg

79849079.jpg

20677580.jpg

21132946.jpg

picture058t.jpg

10ar.jpg

Its hard to tell if i have this label in the exact correct position, but it can always be moved.

54077035.jpg

11aph.jpg

The following are just some random photos...

I like my new brow trim!

80622782.jpg

16920811.jpg

73572715.jpg

83867607.jpg

66873833.jpg

Keith.

Edited by keith

Very nice hero helmet replica. What's with the inside sticker on the original, was that on it during filming or was it added later?

Edited by ObiHahn

• 4 months later...

The angles of each section getting trimmed out is right on. Very noticeable in the eye cut outs. Question... to get the small pin hole texture did you reverse the plastic? Or was it just over heating the plastic a bit? If you don't want to share your handy tricks no worries. but it is a nice added touch. Great job!

Ah ok cool

I'm glad you put them on there lol as holes in plastic like that normally comes when the plastic hss been cold and then heated up. The heat doesn't spread evenly as the plastic contains water can cause those dimples naturally (if you're referring to the surface imperfections I mean?)

This is a different 'effect' to orange peel which is when its got too hot

Manufactures (or me lol) can create that effect at will if you ask

Stunning lid. Very very nice work dude. Love the way your frown paint is matching up nicely :)

Break in late at night and swap them over ;)