How do I attatch Hand Plates to Gloves

Hey guys, I want to glue some elastic straps to my hand plates to go around my gloves, because i don't want to use velcro, how do i do this? what type of glue should i use, how do i make it stick, do i have to clamp it and leave it over night?

My hand plates are troop master ESB style hand plates made from the new flexible plastic.

i have no idea. please help, cheers!

Dave.

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Shoe goo works great on flexible materials. I used to repair RC car bodies (very flexible). I would spread some onto the plate, then some on the elastic strap, and hold them down with clothes pins or clamps (not too tight). Stick some wax paper between the elastic and clamp to prevent the clamp from sticking to the elastic.

Just have one strap wrap around your wrist, and another at the base of your fingers.

Shoe goo works great on flexible materials. I used to repair RC car bodies (very flexible). I would spread some onto the plate, then some on the elastic strap, and hold them down with clothes pins or clamps (not too tight). Stick some wax paper between the elastic and clamp to prevent the clamp from sticking to the elastic.

Just have one strap wrap around your wrist, and another at the base of your fingers.

I just went to the hardware store (Bunnings) and they have never heard of Shoe Goo, is there any other glue that would suit this job?

I'm in Australia, so Shoe goo might be called something different, what type of glue is it? all the glues i looked at, most of them said ideal for plastic, but they had a list of heaps of other materials they would be suitable for as well, so I'm a little confused.

Shoe goo was originally developed to repair shoes. It's very durable, and cures with a slight thickness and remains flexible, that's the key. If you're gluing on soft plastic, you need a flexible adhesive. I'm sure the troops here can suggest other adhesives, but that's what i use on anything that needs to remain flexible.

Have you considered sewing loop velcro to the elastic straps, and then applying some hook velcro to the plate? This way, the velcro attaches the plate to the strap, but you won't need to put velcro on the gloves since the strap holds it on.

If you want to get screen accurate you can drill some holes in the front and back and sew them to the gloves. In the end I just used velcro for a quick fix and its worked so far. I guess I could always make a circular strap that fit around my hand too, which is what most folks do for their ANH hand plates.

And what you recommend for the regular ANH AP hand guards and Nomex golves?

Velcro? Snaps? Other way?

I'll have two pair of gloves, one pair of rubber gloves with latex handguards and one pair of Nomex golves with the AP ABS handguards. The rubber gloves are no problem, but I wasn't sure about the Nomex.

I have black sewing velcro and white adhesive velcro, but wa not sure if the handguards will stay in place.

I've searched the forum, but it looks that I don't know how to properly search for this topic, as I'm not getting many threads.

Thanks.

I used black elastic across the palm and a black hair elastic around the wrist all attached with E6000 on my AP hand plates . Clamped the elastic until the glue set. E600 has bit of flexibility after it set. Great stuff.

If you can get some E6000, that's what I recommend. It really is $h!t hot B)

Use 1/4" (6mm) black elastic across the palm and another around the wrist or like Paul suggests, sew them onto your cotton/lycra gloves like they did in ESB.

Whats E6000? do i just walk into the hardware store and say

"i need some E6000 glue"

and they'll be all like

"here ya go son, have fun!"

lol I don't think so, does it have another name?

Whats E6000? do i just walk into the hardware store and say

"i need some E6000 glue"

and they'll be all like

"here ya go son, have fun!"

lol I don't think so, does it have another name?

This is one of the things that is actually OK to buy from eBay. That's where I got mine from.

David

Its one of the best glues out there for armor building and it really is a 'Must Have' :)

"here ya go son, have fun!" :D

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 3 weeks later...

those sewn plates look like too many holes...

in ESB there are only holes in for the front middle finger,

and at the back for the wrist.

don't put that many holes in it!