Helmet & Ab paint detail reference guide

Billhag

Great thread! Planning and seeing my stages and what I need to know stuff, while waiting for Armor to arrive. What's your info on these decals: http://trooperbay.com/star-wars-stormtrooper-abdominal-plate-decals/

Are these colors to spec?

Great thread! Planning and seeing my stages and what I need to know stuff, while waiting for Armor to arrive. What's your info on these decals: http://trooperbay.com/star-wars-stormtrooper-abdominal-plate-decals/

Are these colors to spec?

I ordered the same thing from Trooperbay not long ago. I was in fear I would screw up the painting. Ultimately I went with paint and I did okay.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the same thing from Trooperbay not long ago. I was in fear I would screw up the painting. Ultimately I went with paint and I did okay.

I was thinking of painting, but the decals seem less expensive and time consuming too.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did not see an equivelant for Model Master paint for the gray on the helmet.  I have...

-----------

I think it is a bit dark, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...

So is the humbrol black gloss in the picture wrong then

I had the same question.  The chart lists gloss black yet many say semi-gloss black is more accurate.  Which one i correct?

I had the same question.  The chart lists gloss black yet many say semi-gloss black is more accurate.  Which one i correct?

Satin is generally preferred for the vocoder these days, but you can use gloss for the tear and trap details

The chart is old and somewhat outdated by now.

Edited by Locitus

Can the powers to be modify or remove this thread then? It is the first thread, top of the list. People shouldn't be expected to see a how to colour chart, then read 4 pages to find it is wrong.

Can the powers to be modify or remove this thread then? It is the first thread, top of the list. People shouldn't be expected to see a how to colour chart, then read 4 pages to find it is wrong.

There might be some errors in it. But should we remove it, we will instead have 10 threads a month asking the same things that are here and are correct.

But you are welcome to ask Billy to update his post from 2009 with a new chart. Not all action has to be initiated by staff. Sometimes individual action is required. That's the kind of action that gave us the chart in the first place. Be grateful for that instead.

Interesting concept - better to have one wrong one than 10 correct ones. Fair enough.

Someone has to answer all those questions as well. If you feel you want to do that, go right ahead. As someone who's spent a long time on this forum, I can tell you that answering the same question over and over and over gets dull really fast.

Besides, there is nothing "really wrong" with the chart. You will look just fine if you follow it, certainly in comparison to not even assembling/wearing your suit properly which is far more noticeable and more common. But research from the last couple of years offer alternatives that are not covered by the chart.

• Like 1

How about all the moaning basterds do some research - how about that for a new concept?!

If it weren't for the moaning basterds, would there be an internet with which to research on?

Mark: Right or wrong (and you're totally right) you do realize you're moaning about all the moaning.

-Eric

• Like 3

That's very true, maybe I should head off and do some research!

But my point is, I didn't start using number 14 because somebody else told me to, I starting using it as when I used the number 15 as was the done thing back in the day it didn't look right.

So I looked at all my ref pictures and decided that the dark blue was just that, too dark. I looked for another better blue matching the real costumes and then I started using number 14.

That's how progress is made, read as much as you can, then try things out for yourself. If it works great, pass it on, if it doesn't try something else...

• Like 4

I know you were agreeing, just realised moaning about the moaners is still moaning!! lol

You're missed around here.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a little confused.  I was told that this was a new and updated painting guide . . . 

ydYi61Q.jpg

Does anyone know where the thread is where this is located (I'd like to see a better image)?  I have searched and can't seem to find it.

If this is the new guide, shouldn't it replace the one at the start of this thread?  Just hoping for some clarification.  

Thanks to anyone who can help!

• 1 month later...

Mediterranean blue is not quite right either. Just an alternative. Try regular flat blue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...