Helmet & Ab paint detail reference guide

Billhag

Gentlemen. Can anyone specifically point to exactly where these "revised" colors are coming from? I have made literally hundreds and hundreds of Ab Button kits using the Midnight Blue and If I am going to change my setup to the French Blue, I would like to see more concrete evidence of this change. Thanx.

Lucasfilm Archives and the bonus material of the bluray box.

I suggest you check out our photo gallery. We have quite a lot of reference pictures these days.

• 2 months later...

I went to 3 different hobby stores today and all i could find were the Model Master paints. I found the french blue but the closest i could find to the gray was their dark gray(f-15),will this be close enough or should i try to find something else?

Edited by steelgrip

I went to 3 different hobby stores today and all i could find were the Model Master paints. I found the french blue but the closest i could find to the gray was their dark gray(f-15),will this be close enough or should i try to find something else?

I have found that Krylon Smoke Grey Gloss is extremely close to the original Humbrol. I had it compared with a color match computer and while it is not a perfect exact match it is within a shade or so of it. Its alos widely available at Walmart and inexpensive.

I have found that Krylon Smoke Grey Gloss is extremely close to the original Humbrol. I had it compared with a color match computer and while it is not a perfect exact match it is within a shade or so of it. Its alos widely available at Walmart and inexpensive.

Cool deal....thanks,will hit up Walmart tomorrow.

Edited by steelgrip

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I need to repaint the buttons on an already built suit (the paint job was bad).  It looks like it will just chip off, but is sanding the best method to remove the paint?  I appreciate your assistance.

You can use various methods, wet and dry sandpaper, polish, paint thinner, thumb nail (just scrape) :D. If you do use the polish or thinners give the piece a good wash with warm soupy water before you repaint ;)

I need to repaint the buttons on an already built suit (the paint job was bad).  It looks like it will just chip off, but is sanding the best method to remove the paint?  I appreciate your assistance.

You can use various methods, wet and dry sandpaper, polish, paint thinner, thumb nail (just scrape) :D. If you do use the polish or thinners give the piece a good wash with warm soupy water before you repaint ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi y'all!

So my new helmet arrived this morning! This is the first bit of kit for me and it all looks very exciting.

Firstly I want to say a huge thank you to everyone at RS!!!

I need a little advice from you guys on the construction please. It's all nicely trimmed and riveted and screwed in place. Are there any hints & tips I should be aware of before I get carried away? My main questions so far are:

Is there a way to cover the nuts and bolts insite the helmet so I don't scratch my face off every time I put it on?

Exactly how should I go about cutting and sticking the lense film?

*** Should I paint the details onto the helmet or are there transfers available? ***

That should keep you busy while I sit here trying to figure out how to drink my cup of tea while wearing my awesom new Stormtrooper helmet!

:D

Hi Darren if you first post a build thread you will get a lot more people post answers rather than aksing in an old thread :D. Secondly have a look through some of the other helmet build threads, seeing what others have done gives you a lot on insight into how pieces fit.

Ears are the worst to make fit, take your time and sand a little at a time, less is more :D

I never worried about the bolts inside at first I just trimmed them down so they didn't stick out too much, I now have a block of foam either side which covers the bolts, the foam stops the helmet from wobbling around. I aslo glued velcro on to the back of all my foam so I can take it out after sweatty troops and wash them.

If you use the lense film there are lots of ways to keep it in, hot glue, tape, silicon, no one way is right, it's what ever you are good with, some don't trim the lens and put a full rectanle in, I use a firm lens, cut to suit the eyes and fitted with hot glue :D.

Oh and a curvy straw may help your drinking problem ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/7/2009 at 6:02 AM, Billhag said:

I've updated the little reference guide that I put together a while back to include Testors paint as well as Humbrol.I've also included the 'revised' view of ab button colours so that you can"pays yer money and takes choice" smile.gifattachicon.gifArmour_a...Revised_.pdfHope this helps 

Just a quick question regarding the standard and revised painting for the Ab Buttons. Is the Revised color scheme what's required for General Acceptance into the 501st? I bought Blue Angel Blue but I also see here French Blue #14. Should I spend the money to get the French Blue or will I be okay for acceptance if I use Blue Angel Blue?

Just a quick question regarding the standard and revised painting for the Ab Buttons. Is the Revised color scheme what's required for General Acceptance into the 501st? I bought Blue Angel Blue but I also see here French Blue #14. Should I spend the money to get the French Blue or will I be okay for acceptance if I use Blue Angel Blue?

Go with french blue.