• What I have is good enough for me
    • I don't know how to get other armor
    • I'm confused by the choices
    • They're too small / I'm too big
    • I don't have the time to do all that trimming
    • I don't have the skills to build an untrimmed suit
    • I want to, but feel the alternatives are too expensive
    • I'd rather devote my time/money to a different costume

Not all criticism is negative. If you're getting into the whole star was costuming/trooping thing the best advice I can offer is don't take personal offense to a fellow trooper giving critique on your costume. There can be something poorly done or less than stellar and in need of repair about your gear and it has nothing to do with your individual character. I enjoy hearing others thoughts on what I'm wearing, I'd sooner take an unpleasant to hear/realistic comment than blind praise while parts fall off.

For example; "your chest plate needs trimmed or adjusted, its touching your belt" Two reactions possible and I've seen both. 1) "Okay thanks, any advice on how to do that?" 2) "What do you mean!?! I just spent all this money on this and now you are saying its wrong, I thought the 501st was all about trooping this stinks"

I had someone spazz out when they found out the 501st doesn't accept Rubies stormtrooper helmets for membership, but no one told them they weren't eligible, just their goofy helmet. Take it all with a grain of salt, when someone comments on a brand of armor or a nuance of your personal gear, firstly gauge the level of validity their opinion has (do they even know what they're talking about?) and then remember its not about you, its about your plastic. They might be trying to help you look better.

Well said! I agree completely and if I wasn't quite clear about that please accept my apology. That type of advice and criticism is exactly what I look for and appreciate in this website. The type of negative comments I was reffering to were straight forward vulgarity and rudeness such as I referenced before someone had been going off about a certain type of armor and said that it "looked like s***" and proceeded to call people who wear that kind of armor all sorts of obsene names, and it's been in a few different places that I've seen this type of behavior, that is specifically the negativity I am talking about. I DO NOT believe this is the normal attitude and demeanor or the majority of the forum members. Rational mature conversation about the pros and cons of costume choices is what I have valued most about this forum. I just don't see any reason that such disscusions can't take place with a certain amount of respect.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Armors in the mail.... I will either love it or not. if i like it well might not change for long time..... I love my cell phone got it in 94.... still works great and i dont see a reason to get a new one.

Armors in the mail.... I will either love it or not. if i like it well might not change for long time..... I love my cell phone got it in 94.... still works great and i dont see a reason to get a new one.

which set are you gettin Joey?

First, I'd like to say that this is a really really constructive discussion, really liked going through it.

Now, that being said, I'd just like to point out that a lot of time, I read that people over 6' can't go other than FX or should get the FX because of the size being bigger in proportion. Yes it's true, the kit is made bigger BUT IMO, it has nothing to do with height (look at me, I'm 6'3'' and been told (to my surprise) that I was looking good in my armor. Everything has to do with body proportions or weight. Forget height, I'm sure some people got discouraged by the fact that they were over 6' and went the FX way just because they read everywhere that the FX was pretty much the best option. While in fact, it has all to do with weight and body proportion.

I guess I'm lucky enough to be at 6'3 190lbs and looking good in my AP kit. I actually started a thread to get any feedback on things I should look into to make the fitting better since I'm a newb to all this too :)

Cheers

First, I'd like to say that this is a really really constructive discussion, really liked going through it.

Now, that being said, I'd just like to point out that a lot of time, I read that people over 6' can't go other than FX or should get the FX because of the size being bigger in proportion. Yes it's true, the kit is made bigger BUT IMO, it has nothing to do with height (look at me, I'm 6'3'' and been told (to my surprise) that I was looking good in my armor. Everything has to do with body proportions or weight. Forget height, I'm sure some people got discouraged by the fact that they were over 6' and went the FX way just because they read everywhere that the FX was pretty much the best option. While in fact, it has all to do with weight and body proportion.

I guess I'm lucky enough to be at 6'3 190lbs and looking good in my AP kit. I actually started a thread to get any feedback on things I should look into to make the fitting better since I'm a newb to all this too :)

Cheers

Great Point! :duim::salute:

This is a great thread, I've been considering getting some armor in the near future and joining the 501st. I thought it would be a simple as going out and buying it, but after reading these posts OMG!!!. It is now clear that it will be a littlle more complicated than I first thought. Im glade I stumbled upon this site, I would have hated to spend a whole whack of cash only to find out later I've wasted my money. I would like to buy it only once and not have to worry about acceptance, Im starting to get a clearer picture of what I need. :)

...I would have hated to spend a whole whack of cash only to find out later I've wasted my money. I would like to buy it only once and not have to worry about acceptance, Im starting to get a clearer picture of what I need.

I am not sure if I would use the term waste. Sure, there are several armor options out there, and the fact 90% (give a few percentage points here) of the TK's have FX does provide some proof that FX is not a bad kit. Is it 100% screen accurate? No. Is it going to be the choice for those who want 100% accurate armor? No. Is is what most troppers have? Yes. Is it a decent set of armor? Yes. Is it right for everyone? No. (I digress, sorry)

My point is that I personally feel with all the options out there, there is a set right for everyone. You might even need to make a few adjustments (or maybe a lot of adjustments), but in the end, YOU have to be happy with it. I have an FX kit; and it will not be my last. I have had several people tell me it looks good, but you know what? I like it and that is all that matters. I am in the process of getting my Mark IV deployment desigantion, and it has been a blast. I had to mod my ab plate, get a blaster conversion kit, replace my tusks, swap out my lenses, get a new belt, get a new holster, ets.... The best part about this is I WANTED to do it. No one here told me my armor looked horrible because it was FX. No one here told me I could not be a member of the FISD with FX. The cool part is I could do what I love doing, and make my armor better IF I CHOSE TO, not because someone made me.

This is a great group of individuals, and I think that right there says it all; individuals. We all have different needs, wants, desires; in regards to our armor, and this forum allows us to explore than and work to attain it.

Back to the original point I wanted to make; don't think of buying one set of armor a waste, unless you do not want to buy it but are forced to. No one here will force you to buy FX, AP, ANH or any other version. They will, however, help you make the most out of your armor, without question.

There is my $.02. Thanks for listening.

:trooper:

Ha "YOU tell them, Scott"

* Shakes fist in the air* :D

Well put.

• 2 weeks later...

ok.... having read almost all of this post i have to say just this.

I LOVE MY FX!

why? because is my first armor (trooper that is...i already have a vader) and because I worked it to look the way it looks and to fit the way it fits! i Love the expresion of the bucket and honestly i feel that it looks gorgeously imperial to me.

My body tipe is not huge but i?m not skinny...that?s for sure, I have big strong Legs and a broad back so that really helps with the way if fits and snaps into place like if it was molded to my particular frame.

THe size? i?m standard issue imperial sized so it fits like a glove. I like the detail on it and the way it moves. did I had to mod it to fit the way it should on the legs? YES... am I having problems with my tummy affecting the way the chestplate fits over the abs? YES...but i?m struggling over it to make it look perfect and already have received compliments on the way it looks on me.

Myself? i really don like the TS or TS2 helmets... i have no idea why but I just Don?t!...perhaps the AP helm is the one that looks better to me from the three but I have no real Urge to upgrade the bucket since I feel that the size look good on MY particular frame.

it?s a question of choice as much of you Brothers have stated. you WILL NOT and SHOULD BE NOT scolded for your choice of armor for as long as the councel accepts that the accuracy of your plastic comes very close to the real thing.

an FX armor is a beautyful and intimidating sight to behold once fitted correctly so don?t feel bad if you have one and DON?T FEEL THAT YOU HAVE TO UPGRADE IF YOU DON?T SEE A NEED IN IT just because someone has something against it.

I?ve noticed something Amazing on the Stromtroopers as well as Darth Vader...what really makes the difference is the level of PROUDNESS you put into your attitude while in armor... that is what really stands out in public and will get exactly what you give from them, laughs, respect, awe... you name it.

The name of the game is RESPECT... help others to improve but so with respect. Respect to the money they invested, to the effort they placed on puting it together and most of all....respect to the amazing feeling that is to know that you FINALLY got your armor... The Wonder of it!

Myself?...I carry my FX helmet everywhere!...like if it was my baby! to work and back to my house...to my friends house...to every single outpost meeting.... everywhere!...it?s mine and I feel DAMNED PROUD OF IT!

Change what you think you should change to make it look better to YOUR EYES, that way you?ll feel even better in it and that will improove the way you act in front of the public and that?s a win=win scenario.

Be a Trooper and be It Proudly, you are part of a family that really cares for it?s members and pay no mind to ill comments into your plastic, these are the minority and their opinions mean nothing in the face of the acceptance of the 80 + % of members.

I Am Proud of My Armor and Damned Proud to be one of those with the BEST DANMED JOB IN THE GALAXY!

Regards Brothers.

Commander Dargas.

501st legion, Costarican Outpost Admin. Central America.

I'm glad to see your proud to be a TK, thats always good to see and hear, you don't get that too much these dayz :duim::salute:

I'm glad to see your proud to be a TK, thats always good to see and hear, you don't get that too much these dayz

That attitude is part of our mission to change. TK's should stand tall and be proud. I could never figure out why some consider our costume 2nd class compared to the rest of the 501st. No matter, I like the new direction the Empire is taking...

That attitude is part of our mission to change. TK's should stand tall and be proud. I could never figure out why some consider our costume 2nd class compared to the rest of the 501st. No matter, I like the new direction the Empire is taking...

Agreed. The stormtrooper has more screentime than any other trooper and is in the most movies. It's also the most identifiable of any trooper costume

and besides the 501st was founded with the TK as one of the first personas...It kind of sucks that because of all the other impressions, armor, and costumes the TK's have kinda been shoved to the back room in a sense. :unsure:

the TK's have kinda been shoved to the back room in a sense. :unsure:

Bernard, I am not so sure. First, everyone has to admit that the Stormtrooper is the ICON of Star Wars (well... maybe after Vader). They set the tone in the first moments of the first film, creating an indelible first impression. Second, did you notice how many Stormtroopers were at the Rose Parade? I don't think they were shoved to the back of the parade! Third, you can never have too many Stormtroopers at an event, and most events I have organized have always asked for Stormtroopers. They are usually the "backbone" of the event.

While it is true that younger fans may be more attracted to the clone versions, especially if those are the first white armored warriors they ever saw (first impressions again), it will take a long time (imho) before clones supplant the Stormtrooper as the most ubiquitous Star Wars character. :trooper:

And I agree with Commander Dargas: STAND PROUD!!! :salute:

Too true!!

I just got to do my first public appearance on a local TV stations morning program, and all they could talk about was Stormtroopers. I had on my TK :trooper:, and Kurt had his TB :bikerscout: on, and they just ate it up. One guy on the show asked me all sorts of questions, like were to buy, how to get info, who to contact (I gave him our garrison web site AND THIS ONE to check out). Right after that, he asked us to go outside and help him do his car review, so I sat in the front seat of a CRV while he gave his report!!

How cool is that!!!

Anyway, there were people from Star Trek, Harry Potter, and Star Wars; and everyone wanted pics with and to talk to the 'troopers.

TK's all the way baby!!!

Just wanted to share, I will calm down now.

Later,

:trooper:

We?re sure to get the same reaction when we do our first mission on may 1st on the national amusement park.

We?ll celebrate the 10th aniv of the Legion and we?ll do our first mission by getting the entire goup of kids from the house of kids with moms in jail to have fun and to spend the day in the amusement park with us.

Will post pics after the celebration of course!

Dargas.

Bernard, I am not so sure. First, everyone has to admit that the Stormtrooper is the ICON of Star Wars (well... maybe after Vader). They set the tone in the first moments of the first film, creating an indelible first impression. Second, did you notice how many Stormtroopers were at the Rose Parade? I don't think they were shoved to the back of the parade! Third, you can never have too many Stormtroopers at an event, and most events I have organized have always asked for Stormtroopers. They are usually the "backbone" of the event.

While it is true that younger fans may be more attracted to the clone versions, especially if those are the first white armored warriors they ever saw (first impressions again), it will take a long time (imho) before clones supplant the Stormtrooper as the most ubiquitous Star Wars character. :trooper:

And I agree with Commander Dargas: STAND PROUD!!! :salute:

Good point! :salute::pint1:

What a great thread. I loved the comments about being a proud TK. I have to say... it's the entire reason I'm here. There was NEVER a though before starting my TK armor about should I start a Clone, a Vader, a Boba, etc.... It was always TK (and clean at that). Now that I'm here, I'm looking at other options to "play with" and I'll build up a sandy, but I'm in no hurry. Love the TK, be the TK, Live the TK :)

So on the FX armor. It's what I have. I'm 6'3" 250ish give or take 10 lbs (time of year and what I've been doing). I'm a big guy. Actually, I wish there was BIGGER armor out there than the FX. I'm actually trying to get some custom work done to get bigger legs (I hate my shims, and they are not that big - I just want one solid leg, that I can actual trim to fit proper)

It's not the most accurate armor, but it looks good. Without it, I never would have been able to join the 501st (again, it never entered my mind to do another costume)

So where can I get some bigger armor?

So where can I get some bigger armor?

There was a thread in the legion forum about bigger leg and arm pieces, but it seems to have died out. Maybe you could post there which will give it a bump.

There was a thread in the legion forum about bigger leg and arm pieces, but it seems to have died out. Maybe you could post there which will give it a bump.

that may have been me..... :o but perhaps there was another.... (I was focused on leg armor mainly)

I've been trying to get a mold maker to make some larger leg armor to match the FX set. Talks were progressing along nicely.... however it's been some time since I've heard back again..... :(

I'm going with FX simply because I have no cash (Ungle Sugar doesn't pay an E4 all that good). It doesn't have the helmet, so I can get whatever one I desire. I heard that at 5'7" 160 lbs I will probably have a lot of problems with trimming it and such. I hope this is not the case, but I suppose I will plow through anyway, couldn't take nearly as long as my Snowtrooper armor would have (it was still in the plastic mold and unpainted/unprepped). I don't have the $$$ for the pricey suits yet, but my theory is, use the FX for a while until I can afford an upgrade, then upgrade. This site has been a great help so far, and I look forward to bugging you guys with questions down the road!

I'm going with FX simply because I have no cash (Ungle Sugar doesn't pay an E4 all that good). It doesn't have the helmet, so I can get whatever one I desire. I heard that at 5'7" 160 lbs I will probably have a lot of problems with trimming it and such. I hope this is not the case, but I suppose I will plow through anyway, couldn't take nearly as long as my Snowtrooper armor would have (it was still in the plastic mold and unpainted/unprepped). I don't have the $$$ for the pricey suits yet, but my theory is, use the FX for a while until I can afford an upgrade, then upgrade. This site has been a great help so far, and I look forward to bugging you guys with questions down the road!

I wouldn't look at it as having problems with trimming, I would look at it as having allot of fun customising your armor to yourself, so it is no one elses, but your own creation :duim::salute::pint1:

the more work you put on your armor the more you love?er!! jajajaja

anyway... there?s no such thing as being completely satisfied qhen costuming jjajajaja

good luck!