• What I have is good enough for me
    • I don't know how to get other armor
    • I'm confused by the choices
    • They're too small / I'm too big
    • I don't have the time to do all that trimming
    • I don't have the skills to build an untrimmed suit
    • I want to, but feel the alternatives are too expensive
    • I'd rather devote my time/money to a different costume

i would like to know exactly how in-accurate the FX armour is? forget the size factor and details such as the ab button colours (colouring is an easy change mod, its not like using square buttons instead fo round ones)

As a former FX (actually GF1) owner I'll throw out my observations. You shouldn't forget the size factor, as this is one of the main problems particularly if you are 77 trooper sized like me. :lol: In terms of details, most of the armor is simplified, the legs and arms are more "straight" and a lot of contour has been omitted. There is a near complete lack of undercut/flashing. The chest is too long (read tall) the whole thing has been made symmetrical, and then there is the helmet itself, which I would strongly recommend replacing with an A.N.H.2/RTmod/AP/TE2. There is a great side by side here (this is a FX with a TE)> http://www.tk409.com/images/anharmor/fx-anh.jpg

With that said, FX can look very good. A lot of people make the mistake of not making it fit them properly. Poor assembly is probably the #1 reason why someones suit might not look good. So regardless of make, at least try to make it fit you right.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mentioned size as being negligable simply because people are different sizes, we are not all clones like in the films.

Ā 

that image you linked to shows what i was getting at. the FX looks superb on the person wearing it, but if the short, smaller framed person was to wear it, it would look silly. for this reason, FX should be praised, allowing larger people to don the armour.

Ā 

i also believe the factor of it being symmetrical a good thing. in the SW universe, the armour would of been massed produced, and im pretty sure with the technology in such a universe, the armour would of been made symmetrical, to make sure every trooper looked the same. symmetry would help enforce this, and the menacing appearance.

The biggest factor is as Seth put it "something better became easier to get". And right now "better than FX" is not that hard to get nor that much more $$, and keeps getting easier and more cost effective each year. Yup the FX looks good in the photo but this guy is 6'3". And even then the chest still comes down too far. Unless you have a good amount of height the amount of work to get FX to look passable (not right, we're talking passable) on a person can be more than simply getting more accurate (ANH sized) armor to begin with.

Ā 

Would you let in a DP now? No, because why should you when FX is better and easy to get. We're moving to the point where better than FX is as easy to get. Unless of course, you're over 6'0" :D

Ā 

On a somewhat related note I have some sympathy for black hole troopers. They are few and far between so it's not like there are a lot of troopers in "better" armor to be compared too, and the only kits that come in black ABS are FX. That said, I bet if a few dedicated souls started getting ANH sized suits & painting them, or at least upgrading buckets, there would be more pressure in that area.

Like I said; to each his own. :) Symmetrical armor is an idealization, and fine if that is your bag. For me, I want to look like a stormtrooper from star wars, so I want asymmetrical realism. All good in their own way, just different strokes for different folks.

Like I said; to each his own. :) Symmetrical armor is an idealization, and fine if that is your bag. For me, I want to look like a stormtrooper from star wars, so I want asymmetrical realism. All good in their own way, just different strokes for different folks.

I second that! :duim::salute:

The 501st Legion is actually a costuming club that happens to help charities and do charity work under its banner. So since our primary MO is a costuming club you will have people who want to make their costume better instead of just cranking something out and leaving it alone. There are a lot of people who choose quality over quantity. I could have three of four passable costumes for what I have into my one really cool one. Thats how I roll, but to each his own.

The FX falling out of favor is a natural thing, it happened with the DP standard, it happened with Marco and it will happen with the FX. All for the same reason; something better became easier to get. I don't think we should force it to happen, but nature will take its course. Its had 12 good years but the time has come to move on.

Yes, everyone has has there own levels of perfection, I never settle for good enough and am always evolving, but I get along with those who choose to stop at the FX, its not that big of a deal to me. But I also believe that the FX suit is being weeded out over the next 5 years, just out of personal choice. If someone who is a larger framed person is directed to buy an RT mod, that great! its not that much more than the FX, plus the helmet comes assembled and painted. With these more accurate suits becomming more and more available at lower prices, people like us on this forum will start directing new commers to these better sets, as a result of this the FX will fade away...this is just my prediction :unsure::pint1:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the price of RT armor has been steadily going up over the last 18 months. I personally think it's supply and demand. He has a several month waiting list, why not raise prices and see what the market will bare, if it holds raise them again.

Ā 

I'm not knocking the RT armor, I was planning on getting it. But when I got the cash and RT send me the current prices, they were once again just out of reach.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the price of RT armor has been steadily going up over the last 18 months. I personally think it's supply and demand. He has a several month waiting list, why not raise prices and see what the market will bare, if it holds raise them again.

Ā 

I'm not knocking the RT armor, I was planning on getting it. But when I got the cash and RT send me the current prices, they were once again just out of reach.

You know what I mean though, if its not TE, AP, RT, or some other accurate kits, something will happen in the future where the production of these more accurate suits will be more mainstream... thus the cost will be effected as well...just another alcohol induced prediction of mine :unsure::pint1:

Perhaps it's just catching the ANH vendors off guard. I heard FX produces something like 50 sets a month, but for most armor makers (even clone armor) it's a side business. If there is a rapid trend away from FX, I can understand how they could get swamped.

Ā 

That said, it just adds more encouragement for others to start up. There are more choices now than there used to be. Heck, it seems every few months someone new is offering clone armor. ;-)

IIIIII like big buckets and i can not lie, you other brother can not deny, when a itty bitty bucket walks in and that round thing in your face you get sprung,,,,

Ā 

Ā 

oh sorry, cant get that song out of my head. B)

IIIIII like big buckets and i can not lie, you other brother can not deny, when a itty bitty bucket walks in and that round thing in your face you get sprung,,,,

oh sorry, cant get that song out of my head. B)

:lol: thats a classic!

I envy anyone that hasnt been bitten by the accuracy bug! they are a lucky few that have more money then me. I've been working on a TD for a while now and it is killing me. You will pay 200 dollors more for an FX kit on ebay then on the ** styrene armor run that i dont know if it ever went threw?

I envy anyone that hasnt been bitten by the accuracy bug! they are a lucky few that have more money then me. I've been working on a TD for a while now and it is killing me. you will pay 200 dollors more for an FX kit then on the ** styrene armor run that i dont know if it ever went threw?

Ā 

Why would you envy us Chazz? :unsure: I think that I speak for more than just myself when I say that your TK impresion is hecka dead on! :blink: and it is definately got me savin money for a new set o armor ;)

Why would you envy us Chazz? :unsure: I think that I speak for more than just myself when I say that your TK impresion is hecka dead on! :blink: and it is definately got me savin money for a new set o armor ;)

I'm honored you'd think i did so well. :unsure:

Ā 

Ā 

I pinged RT about this. Part of the price increase is the US dollar falling and he's not US-based. Still, the price was IMHO cheaper than getting an FX kit and upgrading the bucket (which most people do anyway). Didn't talk much about lead times, but as noted like many this isn't his full time job. Unless it was over two months (and yes, I've waited that long for clone armor), it wouldn't seem that long a wait.

I pinged RT about this. Part of the price increase is the US dollar falling and he's not US-based. Still, the price was IMHO cheaper than getting an FX kit and upgrading the bucket (which most people do anyway). Didn't talk much about lead times, but as noted like many this isn't his full time job. Unless it was over two months (and yes, I've waited that long for clone armor), it wouldn't seem that long a wait.

Ā 

In the last email I got from him said the lead time was 12-14 weeks.

In the last email I got from him said the lead time was 12-14 weeks.

Ā 

--Whistles-- I see what you mean.

I'm 5'8" and I wear the FX with an AP bucket.

Ā 

In this pic, I'm on the far left.

http://www.carolina501st.com/albums/album76/aaa.jpg

Ā 

Other than the large chest plate, what else is there? I think it looks perfectly fine. You may notice that the Trooper on the far right is wearing the more "screen accurate" suit. I believe it's TE, but I'm not 100% sure. It looks really great, but I would never want to troop in something that I feel would break apart if someone bumped it. It feels like you're wearing crackers to me. The ABS is so much more durable. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped a piece of my ABS on the floor or been bumped by someone elses blaster. I just get out the polish and poof!, it's gone.

Ā 

If someone were to provide an ABS "screen accurate" suit at an affordable price, I'm sure that a lot of FX owners would upgrade, but until then, I'm satisfied with what I have and I hope that the rest of the Legion will be too.

... Unless you fall down a flight of stairs, you're good.

Well , you know , after a hard days slog , trooping with your mates ? A quick stop at the local cantina and a couple of Flaming Vaders later , you're falling all over the place ;) . Not only can Tk's not shoot straight , they can't hold their booze either ;)

There are some very interesting things being discussed in this thread . As a relative newcomer to the TK scene , the FX suit is much easier to obtain . All you do is get on the big auction site and Bobs your uncle , you have a suit . It's not until you assemble it and stick the bucket on your noggin that you realise how wrong it looks . I'm doing what I can to make mine better , AP bucket is on it's way , correct Ab plate buttons , I've made a canvas belt , I'll be filling in the gap between the front and back plates this week , but it's still going to be an FX suit . It'll do untill I can justify ( ie , have the cashy goodness ) purchasing a better suit .

Unless you know someone who knows someone , or unless you get lucky on evilbay , it's really hard to even find out where to get an AP suit . RT mod is a bit easier , and I haven't gone looking for TE yet .

I've lost track of where I was going with this , so I'll end up now .

Dave .

It's unfortunate that so many of the nicer looking helmets/armor are so hard to come by or too expensive. I can only point out that hospitals aren't the only things with patients(patience). :mellow: It might take awhile to save up and or find the contacts, but it's worth it if that's something you're really passionate about.

It's unfortunate that so many of the nicer looking helmets/armor are so hard to come by or too expensive. I can only point out that hospitals aren't the only things with patients(patience). :mellow: It might take awhile to save up and or find the contacts, but it's worth it if that's something you're really passionate about.

This is what I'm all about :salute: I don't have the armor now, but I will come the end of summer, it just takes time, fund, and patience :)

I have built several armored costumes of different types, a couple were ABS, and the others were in styrene. I love styrene for one reason, it i easy to manipulate with a heat gun. On the other hand, styrene is a far more brittle material than ABS. You can run a shallow cut with a razor knife and styrene will snap like a twig. If you get a split in the armor, it will spread like cracked glass.

Ā 

I would NEVER buy a styrene stormtrooper. In order to get the correct shine, you have to paint the stuff, and then you have to worry about scuffs. Not to offend, but that is my opinion.

Ā 

And by the way, FX may be on its way out, but there will soon be AFX. An upgraded version to the tested armor. I hear through the grapevine this new armor will make the first appearance in Fan Boys