• What I have is good enough for me
    • I don't know how to get other armor
    • I'm confused by the choices
    • They're too small / I'm too big
    • I don't have the time to do all that trimming
    • I don't have the skills to build an untrimmed suit
    • I want to, but feel the alternatives are too expensive
    • I'd rather devote my time/money to a different costume

Someone suggested this poll and I thought it was a great idea. I know I'm curious to see how others feel. :)

So, share your thoughts!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I have is good enough for me ..... at the moment !!!

I'm only new to the whole thing , I started off with something that was cheapish and easy to purchase . I can learn with my FX suit , and when I've learnt ( and saved a bit of cash ) , I'll upgrade .

My bucket , on the other hand , is going to be replaced as soon as is possible . The thing is huge , and makes me look like a white mushroom ;) . Daetrin , thanks for the addy , I've started contact proceedings :).

Dave .

I just don't have the cash :( It sucks too, because I have all the contact info for the armor set that I want to get :( ...oh well, I'm replacing the stupid bobble head FX helmet in a couple of weeks :D

Not having the cash for me, I've already upgraded my helmet and am happy with my FX armour so I'm not really in a rush to upgrade but if I had cash to spare I would :D (and possibly turn the FX into a TD )

Not having the cash for me, I've already upgraded my helmet and am happy with my FX armour so I'm not really in a rush to upgrade but if I had cash to spare I would :D (and possibly turn the FX into a TD )

yes, thats what I'm ging to do with my FX whenever I replace it...me and one of my buddy's want to have a TD impression :)

"What keeps you from upgrading your FX?"

well..as for the armor itself, I'm to darn big to look right in anything else...

and as far as the helmet goes...the only thing keeping me from getting a new one is lack of response from sellers....and all the decent ones on ebay seem to be in Zimabwe or whereever...anybody got a lid to spare!! $$$$ standing by! :)

Edited to remove the real name of a vendor.

"What keeps you from upgrading your FX?"

well..as for the armor itself, I'm to darn big to look right in anything else...

and as far as the helmet goes...the only thing keeping me from getting a new one is lack of response from sellers....Mark at AP emailed right away, but I dont know if I can wait 4-6 weeks!:)...no response from RT or ANHv2...and all the decent ones on ebay seem to be in Zimabwe or whereever...anybody got a lid to spare!! $$$$ standing by! :)

Thats odd that he didn't write you back about the ANHv2 :unsure: Hes ussually right on that stuff

This is my first set of armour ( FX ) so im happy with it so far, i want to replace the lid with something else before i have even essembled it, and if i had the spare cash i think i would get some AP armour, it looks really nice.

But with other expensive costumes on the go ( Vader ) i think i will stick with what i have, after all it looks like a trooper :D

This is my first set of armour ( FX ) so im happy with it so far, i want to replace the lid with something else before i have even essembled it, and if i had the spare cash i think i would get some AP armour, it looks really nice.

But with other expensive costumes on the go ( Vader ) i think i will stick with what i have, after all it looks like a trooper :D

Yes...I know how that is...so many interests and so little time and funds :(

$$$$ or the lack of.

As tall as I am, the FX is what works for me and I have made a few mods over the last year and a half.

Even the bucket is cool with me... fits just right as the smaller one doesn't fit. ^_^

I am just waiting on the finished sale of my FX. I am though the one that answered unsure about other armor. I just like to see pics prior to buying. I am sure all partys are great to deal with but right before the cash goes out I am a big fan of pics.

The FX is a good kit, looks the part, but just has to many things I wish I could change. So off to another set.

I want to get a kit with a helmet and armor in one deal.

The average person out there couldn't tell one from the other. Since my main focus is charity and public events to share my love for Star Wars, I am content with the FX for my size. I am 6.1, and weight about 215. The more accurate suits just don't look good on me, and the bucket doesn't fit. If I were 5.7, 160lbs, the story would be different because the fx as a whole just wouldn't look proportionate.

I was thinking of upgrading my helmet, since that is the most obvious issue, but with my stature it looked like I had my head shrunk. I think it is all about wearing the right armor to fit your size. It would be great if FX could change the back portion of their helmet to make it more rounded to at least be a little more screen accurate. I think this fix would be a huge difference.

I am also on the Sith, TDH, and clone boards. Some people who decide to spend their life saving on upgrades feel that just because they did it, the upgrades should then be the standard. No disrespect intended, but I am no longer in the military, and I do this for the fans; and I am certainly not getting paid for it. This hobby is a learning process, and their is a lot of catty behavior out there; it should be all about having fun with friends, and learning new skills.

Sorry for the ramble, I just get a little frustrated on "screen accurate" topics; there are a select few that need to get a grip on what is important. :rolleyes:

One good thing though; this forum is the most friendly in terms of not looking down on beginners and those who are trying to learn. I hope this spirit continues, since it help with recruiting efforts.

One good thing though; this forum is the most friendly in terms of not looking down on beginners and those who are trying to learn. I hope this spirit continues, since it help with recruiting efforts.

It's a spirit the command staff here is very determined to keep. Thanks for the kind words about the FISD!

It's a spirit the command staff here is very determined to keep. Thanks for the kind words about the FISD!

Exactly. We've all been the noob that found it an uphill battle to get help or information. Correcting that environment was one of the driving forces for us getting this detachment started. If new people feel welcome here, it means we're doing our job correctly. :D

Well, I have the FX armor and upgraded to an AP bucket as it's smaller and looks better on me. I kept my FX bucket, just in case. You never know, you just never know.

To me, having a screen accurate suit is great, but it's for the owner/wearer. The general public just can't tell the difference.

I surely hope that the FX suit continues to be acceptable within the Legion. I sometimes get the feeling that there are those that want to ban this armor from the 501st. If that happens, then off I go. Then again, maybe I'm just not reading everything completely or I'm assuming too much.

I hope that this does not offend anyone as it is not meant to. This is merely my 2 cents worth. ;)

This has come up on I believe the general 501st forums, the GML forums, and the DL forums several times. The reality of the situation is that eventually, someday, the FX will no longer be 501st accepted. Just like other armor types that used to be acceptable (which I can't recall) no longer are.

Some things to keep in mind though:

1) We are a democratic club. Such a change can only happen when a majority of the membership agrees to it. It's not like this will happen by LMO fiat, or could happen if only a minority want this change.

2) I really doubt people would vote for it unless there were readily available alternatives that were more accurate. The quality and availability of such armor is increasing all the time, and with it we do see more and more people moving away from FX. This is especially true for buckets. Not too long ago FX buckets were seen on the majority of troopers. I don't think this is the reality anymore. On sandtroopers especially this is true. Stormtroopers are getting there. Ever notice that almost every black hole trooper uses FX? This is because virtually all of them get kits in black ABS instead of using a white one and painting it, and the only black ABS kits are FX. I suspect that if someone like AP or RT started making black ABS kits for a comparable cost, they'd start moving away from FX buckets if not full armor too.

3) This change is not going to happen overnight. Even if 90% of new members joined with other than FX, the vast majority of 501st troopers will still be in FX for sometime, for the reaons people cited in earlier replies.

4) I would be dumbstruck if - when such a change occurred - existing members were not grandfathered in, or else given a very long lead time to upgrade.

So while eventually that's were the Legion is headed, I'd say don't worry for now - you have many years left. :)

On the other hand it doesn't mean that you can rest on your FX laurels. The accuracy bar is being raised all the time - this detachment's Mark (deployment) standards being one example, and the Legion putting together a CRL another. FX may be OK, but being able to use an out-of-the-box kit to get in probably won't be; one would also need correctly colored ab buttons, frown, etc.

My understanding of costume requirments is that if they change, they only apply to new members.

Case in point the Rubies Supreme Vader. There were some folks approved with an out of a box inaccurate costume, that was later deemed unacceptable unless modified/upgraded. They didn't go back and remove the Rubies Vaders, they just didn't allow any more in.

If the FX became unacceptable, that would hurt the legon IMO unless one of the other armor makers decided to drop their prices, or a new armor maker entered the scene.

I voted "have the cash but would be killed dead by wife" :lol:

Can't justify a whole AP or RT kit when our house needs new windows really badly, or some landscaping done, or we have to look into a new car this year (possibly), or any number of household stuff.

But yay for me, I do have the body size & type to fit into those kits. B)

can i ask a few questions about this issue?

i would like to know exactly how in-accurate the FX armour is? forget the size factor and details such as the ab button colours (colouring is an easy change mod, its not like using square buttons instead fo round ones)

also, would the ruling of the Fx armour being unsuitable only apply to storm and sand troopers? i myself own a set of black FX armour, to utilise as a Black Hole Trooper. now, seeing as these guys were only in the comics/books, and therefore no real armour was made for screen use, surely whatever in-accuracies the FX armour has, wouldnt really account for any of the Spec-Ops groups?

lastly, i would like to add this - why does it matter? why does a charity hobby group insist on making fans/hobbyists spend all their money to get that 110% accurate suit? this part of the organisation has always struck me as slightly odd. ok, people trying to sign up with homemade cardboard armour is silly, and some regulations are needed, but for example, in the far far future, why would an FX wearer be turned down over someone wearing an "accurate" suit? what if the FX wearer is more of a fanatic, knows everything to do with starwars/stormtroopers and has the superior urge to help raise charity funds?

i dont mean to rant or sound mad, im just curious :)

why does a charity hobby group insist on making fans/hobbyists spend all their money to get that 110% accurate suit? this part of the organisation has always struck me as slightly odd.

The 501st Legion is actually a costuming club that happens to help charities and do charity work under its banner. So since our primary MO is a costuming club you will have people who want to make their costume better instead of just cranking something out and leaving it alone. There are a lot of people who choose quality over quantity. I could have three of four passable costumes for what I have into my one really cool one. Thats how I roll, but to each his own.

The FX falling out of favor is a natural thing, it happened with the DP standard, it happened with Marco and it will happen with the FX. All for the same reason; something better became easier to get. I don't think we should force it to happen, but nature will take its course. Its had 12 good years but the time has come to move on.