• What I have is good enough for me
    • I don't know how to get other armor
    • I'm confused by the choices
    • They're too small / I'm too big
    • I don't have the time to do all that trimming
    • I don't have the skills to build an untrimmed suit
    • I want to, but feel the alternatives are too expensive
    • I'd rather devote my time/money to a different costume

I thought what we had was AFX, and people just called it fx for short?

Yes, that is what I have learned, there is "AFX" and "MFX", the MFX doesn't look too bad, but good luck getting it :unsure:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that is what I have learned, there is "AFX" and "MFX", the MFX doesn't look too bad, but good luck getting it :unsure:

Ā 

Same here, I thought the FX was short for AFX.

Ā 

I was told to stay away from MFX but I think they recently upgraded it, can't remember where I read it so don't quote me on that ;)

You'd be surprised how sturdy a set of TE armor is. It's nowhere near as fragile as you might be thinking. Unless you fall down a flight of stairs, you're good.

Ā 

I've fallen down a flight of stairs in my TE and it's still ticken :lol:

I've fallen down a flight of stairs in my TE and it's still ticken :lol:

WOW! :blink: Impressive...Most Impressive :salute::pint1:

Same here, I thought the FX was short for AFX.

Ā 

I was told to stay away from MFX but I think they recently upgraded it, can't remember where I read it so don't quote me on that ;)

Ā 

Ā 

MFX is meant to be better than the AFX, just good luck getting one if you dont live in europe

You are correct about the AFX vs FX. I worded that poorly. I communicate often with the FX armor makers, and they told me mods are coming and they would appear in the fan boys movie. I interpret their statement as meaning the "new" AFX. This all started when I had suggested a change to to top of the bucket to give is a more rounded (accurate) look. This is changing only one mold to start, that would go a long way to improving the overall look.

Ā 

Lets face it guys, there is a reason why 95% of the Legion uses FX, and i don't think is all about price. The true accurate armor does not fit most people out there. I have been lifting off and on most of my life, and the shoulder bells that look so awesome, don't even fit over my shoulders. I agree some mods would make the kit look better, but a larger set of armor is needed for those people who don't look like marathon runners. Yes i am jealous. :(

Ā 

The people who make the FX stuff are very good people, and have always treated me and my friends right. They have kept the price low regardless of the escalation of ABS cost. What is even more admirable is the demand they have seen after the Rose parade, and the upcoming C4 / 30th. Despite this they have not raised prices. I hope they are making mods because the legion needs a reliable source for armor is we are going to continue to prosper. If this source did go away none of us could afford to buy armor because prices would skyrocket, if you could get armor at all. Even if a new player did merge into the market, you can bet your bottom dollar they would take advantage of demand and keep prices high as long as possible.

Ā 

So like the fx mold or not, these folks provide an intricate economic function in our ability to get that stuff we want,,, need,,, must have.

Ā 

Sorry for the ramble,

Thanks, Hook.

Ā 

Are there any pics available of the new FX? Maybe they should call it FX2. B)

Ā 

Also, do you have any contact info for the new FX maker(s)? I'd be really interested in seeing they would offer parts instead of the whole kit. I plan on keeping my AP bucket, but it would be nice to replace the old FX parts with new ones as money would allow.

Ā 

Ā 

I read elsewhere here on this board that it would be cool if there was a central location of all the current armor makers with pricing and I agree. It would be nice.

Ā 

Thanks. ;)

You are correct about the AFX vs FX. I worded that poorly. I communicate often with the FX armor makers, and they told me mods are coming and they would appear in the fan boys movie. I interpret their statement as meaning the "new" AFX. This all started when I had suggested a change to to top of the bucket to give is a more rounded (accurate) look. This is changing only one mold to start, that would go a long way to improving the overall look.

Ā 

Lets face it guys, there is a reason why 95% of the Legion uses FX, and i don't think is all about price. The true accurate armor does not fit most people out there. I have been lifting off and on most of my life, and the shoulder bells that look so awesome, don't even fit over my shoulders. I agree some mods would make the kit look better, but a larger set of armor is needed for those people who don't look like marathon runners. Yes i am jealous. :(

Ā 

The people who make the FX stuff are very good people, and have always treated me and my friends right. They have kept the price low regardless of the escalation of ABS cost. What is even more admirable is the demand they have seen after the Rose parade, and the upcoming C4 / 30th. Despite this they have not raised prices. I hope they are making mods because the legion needs a reliable source for armor is we are going to continue to prosper. If this source did go away none of us could afford to buy armor because prices would skyrocket, if you could get armor at all. Even if a new player did merge into the market, you can bet your bottom dollar they would take advantage of demand and keep prices high as long as possible.

Ā 

So like the fx mold or not, these folks provide an intricate economic function in our ability to get that stuff we want,,, need,,, must have.

Ā 

Sorry for the ramble,

Yes, they do offer an affordable larger sized suit for those of us who do not have the body type of the original actors...good point! :salute:

That's great news that they're updating their molds. As you noted the oversized trooper is a tough fit.

Thanks, Hook.

Ā 

Are there any pics available of the new FAX? Maybe they should call it FAX. B)

Ā 

Also, do you have any contact info for the new FX maker(s)? I'd be really interested in seeing they would offer parts instead of the whole kit. I plan on keeping my AP bucket, but it would be nice to replace the old FX parts with new ones as money would allow.

I read elsewhere here on this board that it would be cool if there was a central location of all the current armor makers with pricing and I agree. It would be nice.

Ā 

Thanks. ;)

Ā 

Ā 

I am friendly with them, but at the same time they are running a very fragile operation, and they keep much of this information close to the vest. I am afraid if I get to nosy them may worry of my intentions.

Ā 

I have purchase just a bucket from them in the past, so I have to think they would consider other options. But if you think of it, you could get the whole kit, and shelve the bucket, or make some money on it from trooper like me that have heads with their own planetoid system. :lol:

I admire those who strive for more accurate better looking costumes, it's great fun and gives the owner a sense of pride in the work that they've done. However I have seen many refferences stateing that ~95% of the 501st wear FX armor assuming that this is true, to berate and condemn fellow troopers due to their choice of armor is not only inappropriate it's childish and insulting to the majority of the organization that they profess to cherish. The whole point of what we do is to have fun and share something we love with others (others that for the most part could not tell the difference between FX, RT or TE...etc).

Ā 

I think that I should clarify that I advocate the improving of the quality of costumes and providing help and insight to those who wish to improve their look, but I have read many posts (not so much on this thread) where people got down-right insulting, saying that the FX armor "looks like s***" and other such things. That kind of eliteist /exclusionist attitude has no place in an organization whose greatest accomplishment is bringing together a large group of people from all over the world to share in something we all love. I would go as far as to say that that kind of rudeness and negativity should be banned from official forums, if people want to behave that way they can start their own blog-site or something.

Ā 

Again I love the constructive advice on improving costumes, I've gained a lot of helpful tips and sage advice on building my character. I'm just saying let's keep it positive, no reason to go all Darkside on fellow troopers.

Ā 

Thanks for letting me throw in my two credits.

Hey Chris,

Ā 

I think that's the majority opinion - e.g. strive to be the best you can, strive to help others be the best they can, but always be respectful of others' choices wrt to their costume. It's a club after all and meant to be fun. I'd like to think that the majority of TK's are in that mindset. It's great to have pride in your costume, but neither acceptable nor cool to look down at others for declining to make the same choices.

Ā 

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm certain that if there has been any vibe of elitism it's been accidental/unintentional. We're all brother stormtroopers here, regardless of armor make. I'd like to point out that the recently adopted deployment standards have no requirement that can't be obtained using an FX kit, and that this was an intended decision on our part.

I am friendly with them, but at the same time they are running a very fragile operation, and they keep much of this information close to the vest. I am afraid if I get to nosy them may worry of my intentions.

I don't understand the need to be secret amongst fellow 501st members. If I'm a known member, then they should feel comfortable in the fact that I'm not someone that's out to get them.

Ā 

I guess it is what it is. :rolleyes:

It's against detachment policy to publicly discuss vendors / where to get armor on the open boards. If you wish to identify a vendor directly it's best to do it in the 501st only area.

It's against detachment policy to publicly discuss vendors / where to get armor on the open boards. If you wish to identify a vendor directly it's best to do it in the 501st only area.

Gotcha. ;)

Ā 

Thanks for keeping us straight. B)

i cam across this image on the replica prop forums.

Ā 

for those who want 100% screen accurate armour, this is the way to go.

Ā 

stormtrooper1ScreenAccurates.jpg

Ā 

Nice diagram! Has anyone ever put one together like that? That would be hilarious! I'm still laughing :lol: !

Hey Chris,

Ā 

I think that's the majority opinion - e.g. strive to be the best you can, strive to help others be the best they can, but always be respectful of others' choices wrt to their costume. It's a club after all and meant to be fun. I'd like to think that the majority of TK's are in that mindset. It's great to have pride in your costume, but neither acceptable nor cool to look down at others for declining to make the same choices.

Ā 

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm certain that if there has been any vibe of elitism it's been accidental/unintentional. We're all brother stormtroopers here, regardless of armor make. I'd like to point out that the recently adopted deployment standards have no requirement that can't be obtained using an FX kit, and that this was an intended decision on our part.

Ā 

Thanks for the support! I also want to point out that this site has been singularly the most helpful resource for finding tips and mods (apart from my friends in the Central Garrison that is). And over-all I agree that most people in here seem to be very positive and supportive, and the negative comments seem to be fairly isolated.

Hey Chris,

Ā 

Ā 

This is how I feel!!! :salute::pint1::trooper:

i cam across this image on the replica prop forums.

Ā 

for those who want 100% screen accurate armour, this is the way to go.

Ā 

stormtrooper1ScreenAccurates.jpg

thats funny! :lol: YES! ANH was a low budget movie :lol:

I admire those who strive for more accurate better looking costumes, it's great fun and gives the owner a sense of pride in the work that they've done. However I have seen many refferences stateing that ~95% of the 501st wear FX armor assuming that this is true, to berate and condemn fellow troopers due to their choice of armor is not only inappropriate it's childish and insulting to the majority of the organization that they profess to cherish. The whole point of what we do is to have fun and share something we love with others (others that for the most part could not tell the difference between FX, RT or TE...etc).

Ā 

I think that I should clarify that I advocate the improving of the quality of costumes and providing help and insight to those who wish to improve their look, but I have read many posts (not so much on this thread) where people got down-right insulting, saying that the FX armor "looks like s***" and other such things. That kind of eliteist /exclusionist attitude has no place in an organization whose greatest accomplishment is bringing together a large group of people from all over the world to share in something we all love. I would go as far as to say that that kind of rudeness and negativity should be banned from official forums, if people want to behave that way they can start their own blog-site or something.

Ā 

Ah, but elitist /exclusionist depends on your pre conditioned perceptions of the two, if that is how you read into the situation, then that is what you will see and absorb...you can take it what ever way you like...This is the first time I have ever heard any type of reference to this on FISD, maybe we just get to comfortable with one another as a type of family unit and actually talk about what is on our minds with one another :unsure: ...I don't know :unsure:

Not all criticism is negative. If you're getting into the whole star was costuming/trooping thing the best advice I can offer is don't take personal offense to a fellow trooper giving critique on your costume. There can be something poorly done or less than stellar and in need of repair about your gear and it has nothing to do with your individual character. I enjoy hearing others thoughts on what I'm wearing, I'd sooner take an unpleasant to hear/realistic comment than blind praise while parts fall off.

For example; "your chest plate needs trimmed or adjusted, its touching your belt" Two reactions possible and I've seen both. 1) "Okay thanks, any advice on how to do that?" 2) "What do you mean!?! I just spent all this money on this and now you are saying its wrong, I thought the 501st was all about trooping this stinks"

I had someone spazz out when they found out the 501st doesn't accept Rubies stormtrooper helmets for membership, but no one told them they weren't eligible, just their goofy helmet. Take it all with a grain of salt, when someone comments on a brand of armor or a nuance of your personal gear, firstly gauge the level of validity their opinion has (do they even know what they're talking about?) and then remember its not about you, its about your plastic. They might be trying to help you look better.

Not all criticism is negative. If you're getting into the whole star was costuming/trooping thing the best advice I can offer is don't take personal offense to a fellow trooper giving critique on your costume. There can be something poorly done or less than stellar and in need of repair about your gear and it has nothing to do with your individual character. I enjoy hearing others thoughts on what I'm wearing, I'd sooner take an unpleasant to hear/realistic comment than blind praise while parts fall off.

For example; "your chest plate needs trimmed or adjusted, its touching your belt" Two reactions possible and I've seen both. 1) "Okay thanks, any advice on how to do that?" 2) "What do you mean!?! I just spent all this money on this and now you are saying its wrong, I thought the 501st was all about trooping this stinks"

I had someone spazz out when they found out the 501st doesn't accept Rubies stormtrooper helmets for membership, but no one told them they weren't eligible, just their goofy helmet. Take it all with a grain of salt, when someone comments on a brand of armor or a nuance of your personal gear, firstly gauge the level of validity their opinion has (do they even know what they're talking about?) and then remember its not about you, its about your plastic. They might be trying to help you look better.

Ā 

Yes :duim: ...i like to call it positive criticism :)