revlimiter's Kenobi HWT Pack Build

revlimiter

I've been collecting parts for this for a while. Time to start a thread for my pile of tupperwear!

hwt001.jpg

The bulk of what I've gathered up so far!

1) Garage Boss drain pan from amazon

2) Pack of Pop It!!! tupperware boxes

3) The Michael's photo box radio thing

4) All the little rubber feet anyone could need in a lifetime

5) A nice set of leather ammo pouches from ebay

6) Pauldrons! Because pauldrons. I prefer the black but the CRL has orange.

7) A rubber DLT-19.

8) Joseph's beautiful Electrobinocs

hwt002.jpg

Heh. Unsure about this. Such tupperware. Very plastic. Wow.

Also, my wife is eyeing this pile of tupperware. Wants it for the cupboard and says I should just 3D print the boxes.

hwt003.jpg

My leather goods. In need of de-whitening and de-chromification.

Question: Is this set of pouches approvable???

I ask because I haven't seen the center pouch for the chest on any HWT troops in many submissions, but it's on the CRL images. It's not in the game. I can cut it off, but really like it...

hwt004.jpg

Rubber DLT-19. It's really nice. A score from etsy.

hwt005.jpg

Back of the pouches are all angled. Gonna need some work.

hwt006.jpg

And just to show it off because I like it so much.

To do:

Everything.

• Like 7

Good luck with your build!

We can never have enough HWT's.

To answer your question, I have the small pouch and made it to Centurion. 

Looking forward to your progress :duim:

• Like 1

Brilliant! I see you opted for the wipes container cylinder that Ardeshir used on his Kenobi pack! ;) Before long I'm going to revive my own HWT build thread. Have fun painting all the treads on those ammo packs; took me sooo long with a fine-tipped sharpie. Or G2 pen; I don't remember what I used anymore.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 3:20 PM, revlimiter said:

Heh. Unsure about this. Such tupperware. Very plastic. Wow.

Also, my wife is eyeing this pile of tupperware. Wants it for the cupboard and says I should just 3D print the boxes.

Another great option are the vacuum-formed boxes from Jason Hill of Intergalactic Supply! I used a few of his and was very happy with the look over the tupperware.

pyNrfTz.jpg 

Question: Is this set of pouches approvable???

I ask because I haven't seen the center pouch for the chest on any HWT troops in many submissions, but it's on the CRL images. It's not in the game. I can cut it off, but really like it...

Totally! The key is that they are leather, and you'll just need to black out the stitching. I also recommend using some fake magazine 'shapers' out of balsa wood or dense foam to help them stay looking good. Most of us remove the angled loops on the back and make our own or use snaps to secure them to the belt. Here's my approved Centurion submission with the small pouch on the chest. Just ensure you mount it to the backpack strap or pauldron as low as possible or you'll have trouble turning your head.

wARIgFV.jpg

Rubber DLT-19. It's really nice. A score from etsy.

Interesting... not many people making those. Can I ask where from or can you provide a link?

9 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Have fun painting all the treads on those ammo packs; took me sooo long with a fine-tipped sharpie. Or G2 pen; I don't remember what I used anymore.

DO NOT use Sharpie anywhere on or near your armor - it can bleed purple that will stain when wet/sweaty. I used a black paint pen.

An exciting build ahead! Let us know if you have any questions we can help with and good luck! :D

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 5:24 AM, magni said:

To answer your question, I have the small pouch and made it to Centurion. 

Looking forward to your progress :duim:

Woohoo! Small pouches will stay then. Thanks!

On 9/5/2022 at 6:34 AM, MaskedVengeance said:

Brilliant! I see you opted for the wipes container cylinder that Ardeshir used on his Kenobi pack! ;) Before long I'm going to revive my own HWT build thread. Have fun painting all the treads on those ammo packs; took me sooo long with a fine-tipped sharpie. Or G2 pen; I don't remember what I used anymore.

Heh, yeah. I actually use these wipes on my couches and chairs, so I had it laying around. I also did a decent bit of work with imagery trying to help Ardeshir's build get a CRL. I'll certainly be building that pack out of mine eventually.

But the Meguiar's tube is just a placeholder for now. I haven't found the 30/35 wiper pack yet, so this one is just filling space.

On 9/5/2022 at 11:33 AM, TheRascalKing said:

Another great option are the vacuum-formed boxes from Jason Hill of Intergalactic Supply! I used a few of his and was very happy with the look over the tupperware.

pyNrfTz.jpg 

Totally! The key is that they are leather, and you'll just need to black out the stitching. I also recommend using some fake magazine 'shapers' out of balsa wood or dense foam to help them stay looking good. Most of us remove the angled loops on the back and make our own or use snaps to secure them to the belt. Here's my approved Centurion submission with the small pouch on the chest. Just ensure you mount it to the backpack strap or pauldron as low as possible or you'll have trouble turning your head.

wARIgFV.jpg

Interesting... not many people making those. Can I ask where from or can you provide a link?

Those vac formed boxes are beautiful!!! I had no idea those existed. Unfortunately, my 3D printers have already produced some goodies since I posted last... they're kinda quick.

Huge thanks for the chest pouch level advice. I hadn't considered that. I'll definitely mount mine in a similar manner. Yours looks perfect and exactly what I'm going for.

DLT: The seller is "REMOVED" on etsy. The DLT is currently out of stock.

I stumbled on Eric's 3D pack build and was smitten by that vent box.

I immediately printed one with the idea of gluing it to whatever piece of tupperware was the right size.

hwt007.jpg

It's simple, but just look at that. Really nice right? Much nicer to my eyes than some stacked pieces of cardstock (no offense meant at all to stacked cardstock packs). Mine is printed in ABS since I do a lot of things out of that material.

And then I kept reading, thinking, obsessing, and considering and I really loved how the tombstone box was angled in Eric's 3D prints... and then I got all the 3D printers working on things.

hwt008.jpg

I now have all 3 boxes printed, the flat end caps printed, radio knobs, tube supports, and a blanking plate.  More sanding is needed, but I really love this. These are all done with the "CRL accurate" files that Eric shared.

hwt009.jpg

It was the angled tombstone box that made me do it. So subtle, but so nice.

hwt010.jpg

While printers printed, I blacked out my pouches... with a sharpie. :6: Fortunately, Sharpie is easy to remove with rubbing alcohol and I should be able to get 95% of it off. I also didn't color the back threading. I'll redo with acrylic paint and a medium to turn it into dye.

2 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

DO NOT use Sharpie anywhere on or near your armor - it can bleed purple that will bleed and stain when wet/sweaty. I used a black paint pen.

Now I'm gonna have to rush back to my HWT build to see what I used... hopefully not a sharpie! UPDATE: I DID use a G2 pen, and didn't color the threads on the rear! PTL. But I guess time will tell if it still wipes off on the front.

Edited by MaskedVengeance
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, revlimiter said:

But the Meguiar's tube is just a placeholder for now. I haven't found the 30/35 wiper pack yet, so this one is just filling space.

Let me know if you continue to have trouble finding the smaller round wipes container, Adam. I have at least one spare from the triple pack I bought two years ago, which I could send you.

1 hour ago, revlimiter said:

I stumbled on Eric's 3D pack build and was smitten by that vent box.

[...]

And then I kept reading, thinking, obsessing, and considering and I really loved how the tombstone box was angled in Eric's 3D prints... and then I got all the 3D printers working on things.

Same thing happened to me two years ago. Those files are amazing, and I hope to be able to implement them someday. His and Bradley's thread are my two favorite HWT resources. Although yesterday I noticed the images were missing on the latter thread, so I've now compiled it into PDF form with restored images.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I owe a lot of updates. I've got pix, I just haven't had a chance to put them together and upload. That'll come soon.

hwt011.jpg

I spent a good bit of time trying to build up the drop siphon bottle. I spent $15 on a right-size Baby Yoda drink bottle at Target, had a perfect cup to function as the lower part, got it riveted together.... and the last rivet cracked the whole thing beyond repair. It just shattered. I guess it was too brittle plastic and too much force.

Literally a couple weeks of searching and off/on work on this ONLY piece I didn't want to print... gone. ugh.

So I printed the bottle too. Here it is, fresh off the printer after a little sanding. 5% infill and 4 perimeters. It's basically a bottle. Eric's 3D print files are really fantastic. 1/8" rivets even fit in the holes and pop correctly without damaging any surrounding plastic. I put some riv-nuts in the back for mounting the bottle to the oil can.

hwt012.jpg

First time I had everything able to be stacked on the oil can. VERY EXCITE! I've got some painting and sanding still left, but it's nice to have all of the parts together at last.

• Like 2

Here goes the backlogged pic post. All of this was before I got the pack to the above state.

hwt013.jpg

I ordered some goodies from Mark at AP - belt parts minus the drop boxes, a set of shoulder straps, and some spare thermal detonator parts. I figured it would be nice to have the TD stuff on hand as well as an extra shoulder strap.

hwt014.jpg

Pre-cut to Centurion spec for my pleasure. :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: Thanks Mark!!

hwt015.jpg

I am still in disbelief about this one. Look how close a match the new plastic is to my old stuff. That arm was formed in 2017!!! It's not an exact exact match, but it's 95% of the way there. Just incredible.

Anyways, I had the belt goodies. Next stop was painting my printed boxes.

hwt016.jpg

I gave all of the printed parts a very healthy coating of silver metallic paint. I think this cured for 2 days after spraying. I wanted to have a metallic layer underneath the black top layer for that extra bit of realism in weathering. And if I weather it a bit too much, it's just black plastic underneath, so no problem there.

hwt017.jpg

Then I painted everything black again.

Everything.

The white caps, the grey vent and the grey button panel... alas. Oh well... it's just a little extra work to spray those the right colors.

hwt018.jpg

This is the mounting method for my drop siphon - rivnuts. I may add 2 more in a + formation. I won't rivnut most (maybe none) of the other boxes, but I know I want to be able to remove this one in the future for drilling and adding the lighted top ala Ardeshir's Obiwan HWT pack.

hwt019.jpg

One shoulder strap pre-mangled. It seemed like it deserved the photo.

hwt020.jpg

Heated and formed onto the tube. It got sanded a bit to even up the edges after this.

And I think that catches me up to the present.

• Like 1

hwt021.jpg

I cannot tell you how much I was sweating this task - getting the belt correctly built and fitted to my armor. See, when @Scimitar and I were building my armor, he did about 95% of the belt work himself. It's really a one man job and not something that allows room for error. But I didn't really know exactly what he did... so I made things up as I went along and very carefully measured 8x and cut/riveted once.

The belt sits at Centurion height just like my ANH Stunt belt. I got the snaps set at the right height and the rivets installed correctly. And I still can't get over that plastic match.

hwt022.jpg

Slightly angled downwards, but the plastic and canvas line up correctly. WHEW!

Yeah, my home gym room has a driving rig in it. Doesn't everyone's? :laugh1:

hwt024.jpg

Then I got the ammo pouches added to the belt.  The game model has them sitting about as low as possible on that belt, so I copied.

hwt025.jpg

The pouches are held on with chicago screws. This gives me some wiggle room for installation mistakes. If the DO Team tells me to raise the boxes, I can still do so. Though there's not much room to lower them...

hwt026.jpg

Lined up! Kinda proud of myself here.

And my last updated bit for the day - the radio.

hwt023.jpg

I was looking on the HWT facebook group for some inspiration and noticed the Dave's Darkside Depot pack. It featured a non-cardboard radio box with a hinged lid and interior storage. And did I mention it wasn't cardboard?!?! I went into research mode and found this conduit box on amazon that looks similar to the one on the DDD pack. It's a bit thicker than the radio cardboard, but not horribly so.  Honestly, if anything, it's more accurate to the game model. The radio box in the game is THICK.

The cardboard radio box has been bothering me the entire build. It's the most flimsy part of the pack by far and seems like just one good knock could flatten it. The plastic box is a good bit heavier, but will stand up to some punishment. It just needs to be painted, hinged, and get a new faceplate made for it.

hwt027.jpg

BAM. Painted and hinged. I propped it open so the inside could get a bit of black spray as well.

I installed the hinges with rivets. I'm riveting darn near everything on this pack (the tube mount arms and tube are riveted). Might as well keep at it.

hwt028.jpg

Then I measured the box and drew up a new face plate. My laser cutter is making quick work of some 3mm black acrylic.

hwt029.jpg

And there's a radio plate. I cut some extra square shapes to spruce up the lower area a little. Not sure if I'll go through with that, but I'll at least have the option handy without extra work being done.

That's me caught up. The radio box paint is curing at the moment. Once that's done I'll get the new box assembled and start final mounting of boxes to the oil pan.

• Like 2

Geez now you've got me searching for that conduit box and wishing I had a laser cutter. :laugh1: Keep up the good work! I'm planning to reuse my general ANH Stunt plastic belt piece for my HWT, and will just need to match the mount holes on a new canvas belt which I may also try to use for my ESB conversation if I can figure out how to mount the HWT ammo pouches without punching holes in the belt.

• Like 1

I bought the new belt mostly due to past advice that it's gonna get YUCKY being on the HWT armor. I'll do removable weathering so I can go back to ANH Stunt if and when desired, but yeah... it just seemed like having a yucky belt and a clean belt would make life easier.

As for mounting the ammo pouches without punching holes... gotta be belt straps on the pounches for the solution. You could probably repurpose those angled ones that most of the ammo pouches come with. Slice those off and then redo them straight as high as the material would allow. Since I'm crazy with my rivet gun, I'd certainly rivet them in place instead of sewing.

DM'd you the radio box specs. :D

If anyone needs a rivet gun suggestion, I've been really happy with the blue Quinn brand one I got from Harbor Freight for about $18USD. A pack of 500 1/8" aluminum rivets was on the shelf nearby for about another $10. Perfect for this kind of light work.

• Like 1

Looking GREAT, Adam!  Not sure if you thought about this, but for the rear of the pack this is what I did:

My oil pan is a bit different, but I cut out the back and used a piece of 3mm black craft foam sheet (EVA) to cover the hole.  I have an overlap of about 2 inches around the sides and just glued it on.  I indented the foam in the hole, which makes room for the raised OII area and allows it to sit close to the back plate.  It also helps prevent scratches from the oil pan on my armor.

gTzt5Yc.jpg   6mZCp2B.jpg

• Like 3

hwt032.jpg

I jumped ahead with the build again. Sorry. I'll post the rest of my pack build pix in the near future. But I suited up for basic approval today!!!!

hwt031.jpg

I flat out hate the standard wipe bottle. I just hate it. I'm hoping to use the Meguiar's oval wipe bottle for my whole approval through centurion.  I hope.

hw030.jpg

It's heavy. It's hot. It's clunky. I LOVE IT.

I have a week of LFL troops ahead or I'd be weathering this and going for Centurion. I need to be clean to still troop my ANH Stunt for the Balloon Fiesta events though...

• Like 7

Amazing job on that pack, brother.  Weathering is spot-on-  not too much, not too little.  Maybe a little black on the pauldron as well?  ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Amazing job on that pack, brother.  Weathering is spot-on-  not too much, not too little.  Maybe a little black on the pauldron as well?

I'm gonna die when I finally have to dirty up my beautiful orange pauldron. But then I suppose it'll look more in-universe. And L3 approvable. Haha. I guess I'll need to Scotchguard up my boots really well before applying some temp weathering.

GAH! I did forget to weather the pauldron. Gonna go do that literally now.

thanks for the kind words y'all!!! :wub:

Caleb: If you use the eye shadow weathering technique the boots clean right up. I dirtied the heck out of mine when I did a desert shoot and they wiped clean with some soap. No lasting effects.

troop2022-13-8.jpg

Though I still looked shiny compared to my Sandy buddy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

Caleb: If you use the eye shadow weathering technique the boots clean right up. I dirtied the heck out of mine when I did a desert shoot and they wiped clean with some soap. No lasting effects.

I actually had a NASTY xacto blade accident last weekend during which I wasn't wearing my gloves and nearly cut off my entire nuckle. Needless to say, I got blood on my TK boots, but had recently triple coated them with Scotchguard, and it wiped right off. Hoping to soon regain strength in my index finger so I can continue my build. Gonna be posting a lot of updates here on the boards in the very near future.

4 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

I actually had a NASTY xacto blade accident last weekend during which I wasn't wearing my gloves and nearly cut off my entire nuckle. Needless to say, I got blood on my TK boots, but had recently triple coated them with Scotchguard, and it wiped right off. Hoping to soon regain strength in my index finger so I can continue my build. Gonna be posting a lot of updates here on the boards in the very near future.

You've convinced me to Scotchgard. I hope the finger gets better quick.

Now for updating the pack build.

hwt033.jpg

Here's my completed pack just after I got it all screwed together. I used hot glue on the various items to get them temporarily in the correct spots and then used self tapping screws from behind.

I used the same slate grey paint on the pack that I used on my thermal detonator. It's a decent medium grey that seems to match the game nicely. And it made my inner OCD happy to use the same color of paint on another Imperial weapon.

hwt034.jpg

Here's the radio box showing off its hinges. Since the box came with it, I lined the lid with rubber weatherstrip (the light colored piping) before closing it up. I may add some clasps to the side later.

Round wipe bottle - yuck.

hwt035.jpg

Before I did the padding, I wanted to see how the pack and OII fit together. Probably I should have done this much sooner, but better late than never. With just the circle cut out, the GarageBoss fits the TK back plate perfectly.

hwt036.jpg

Shockingly perfect.

hwt044.jpg

Here's my protective padding. It's toolbox liner. It should work very well for this and keep scratches at bay. The one downside is that it likes to remove the paint from my bin top.

hwt046.jpg

... so, to protect the bin, I grabbed some extra jersey material left over from making a Jawa hood and begged my wife to sew some velcro to it.

hwt045.jpg

Velcro FTW! Also less squeaks when carrying it on my back.

• Like 1