HELP! ive been chasing my tail for 8 years now. help me obi wan kenobi , you're my only hope.

hello 501st members.  my name is Chris Webb , i live here in fort Myers Florida.  in between two garrisons. I'm not the best at this. and I've been trying to find someone (anyone) local to help me buy, and build armor so i can be part of the 501st team. I've been to all the CONS even STAR WARS CELEBRATIONS   and they all point me in all directions, i feel like im chasing my tail. can anyone help me? and not point me in another direction ?  step by step? just finding this site was tough. facebook would be easier to contact me and help me understand everything.  mark Johnson was kind enough to help me get this far. maybe someone has armor they would like to sell ? anyway... hit me up. let me and my girlfriend be part of the cool crowed. 

sincerely 

Chris webb 

Hi Chris and welcome!

If indeed you wish to build armor, take a look at the various armor and important considerations involved in choosing at this link:

If you don't want to build your own armor, at least, you'll have some minimal knowledge at purchasing stuff that people have made and are willing to sell.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/41-imperial-commissary-px/

But the only real knowledge that one could possibly gain is when the armor is built by you.  If you choose this route, there are lots of folks who will assist you.  In my opinion, it's worth the money you'd be spending on any armor made by someone else.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD Chris! Alan gave you the go-to spot to find your armor. My advice is check out the different brands and see what will fit your body size. The info is there and choosing the right set is important. A good way to see how it could look on you is check some applications in the Advanced Tactics section of the armor your interested in. The brand will be in bars like [   ]. Each applicant posts their height and weight. Good way to see how it fits on them and possible you.

This is a great hobby! But not cheap. But when your finished the joy is priceless. There's plenty of great people here and in Florida so reach out and do some research and you'll be in the best suit you'll ever wear in no time.

Good luck Future Trooper!

Hello and welcome aboard, as mentioned there's a wealth of knowledge here on the forums, post up a build thread and if you have any questions someone will chime in ;) 

Good luck

Amazing advice here so far. One thing for sure, you can do it! Whether it’s building or having it built, you’ll find everything you need to know on here. You’ll have to engage the process a bit though! ;)

Feel free to do some research, ask some questions, rinse, repeat. 

Oh, and welcome!!

Hi Chris and welcome to the FISD!  You have been given some great advice so far.  This is a great hobby and an expensive one.  Also a hobby with a TON of information to get through.  Please don't be overwhelmed.  Please also check out the link for the Florida garrison here: https://fl501st.com/

First things first is you will want to choose which set of armor you want to build.  Do you want a trooper from ANH, ESB or ROTJ?  They are all different.  If you choose ANH then there are two options within that movie as well.  You will want to refer to our Costume Reference Library (CRL) to get a better look at all of the options.  http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

When it comes down purchasing armor you can buy it assembled by a couple of armor vendors who assemble it to your body size or you a really rewarding way to do it is to build it yourself.  There are a lot of talented members here who can help you along the way.  If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Go for it, don't overthink it! Find an armor you like among the many armor makers that offer some and order it! Then, just start a build thread here on the FISD and post you progress. Make some research through this site, talk with us along the way and ask any question you want. You'll see, you'll be so happy in the end! :)

• Like 1

Hi Chris.  I would not have a stormtrooper costume if it wasn't for this site.  This was pretty much my only reference.  There is a ton of info here to find and read but...  and more importantly, there are many fine people here who are willing help you along your way. 

Choosing armor is a big hurdle to clear right off the bat.  Any of the vetted vendors (the link provided above by Thumpy) will provide you with armor that you will be happy with.  The only question is your body shape.  Some armor is better for bigger guys.  The original armor was designed for fit guys about 5'10" and 160 lbs so most kits are designed around these dimensions.  But any kit can be modified to accommodate a wide range of heights and weights - so if you are anywhere close to the ideal measurements you will have a pretty easy time putting a kit together. 

Start reading some of the posts here on this site.  The "getting started" section is really important.  If you want to be a classic stormtrooper, I would recommend the "A New Hope stunt stormtrooper" or ANH-S TK.  This build is the most common and therefore has the most reference material and available supplies.  I would also go through a couple of build threads.  The first one I went through was ukswrath's Anovos build - he does an incredible job of detailing all the steps.  Some details are particular to this kit, but the vast majority of info can be applied to any stormtrooper kit.  here is the link:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-uswraths-anovos-tk-build-stunt/

Don't let the overload of info overwhelm you.  Take some time to research.  Order a kit.  Once you start the process, you will never look back.  It is an amazing journey and a kick-a$$ hobby. 

Edited by wook1138
  • Like 1

I did my ESB TK build to Centurion with no build experience whatsoever, and as my first 501st costume.  Like others have said, there's no way that would have ever been possible without this website, and it's members.  While hands-on in person help is fantastic, it can be done with just this website.  In addition to the build threads, and what types of armor/where to find them, I highly recommend checking out the EIB and Centurion request threads- especially the approved ones.  Even if you don't go for EIB or Centurion, building towards those standards will more likely than not get you in the clear for basic 501st approval, which it itself is of course nothing to scoff at.  

Biggest advice?  Take it slow, try not to look too far ahead in the build, because it can get overwhelming and feel impossible and then nothing will happen.  Baby steps.  Once you figure out how to size parts to yourself, and how to glue the pieces together, it's a lot of repeating that process for other parts (ie, you size and glue your biceps, now repeat that process for the forearms, thighs, and half of that process for the shins).  It's a marathon, not a race, and in the end, you'll be happier and have a better quality suit that will hold up if you take your time.  

If you run into specific problems, and can't work them out with build, EIB/Centurion threads, or the CRL, ask!  We've all likely been in the same boat and can offer advice and photos of our own completed armor, or how we did something.   There's many ways to do something, and you just have to find what works best for you.  

I also recommend starting with simpler parts, and leaving the helmet until last.  It will build up your confidence to tackle the harder parts.  

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Welcome, Chris. 

Just by by signing up on this site you’ve made a huge step forward. This place is FULL of people that love Stormtroopers, love to make people smile, and LOVE to help fellow troopers. :jc_doublethumbup:

Key things are;

- ask lots of questions (we’re here to help)

- do lots of research here on FISD (looking at other builds, approved Centurion* applications, looking at the “gallery” 

- ask more questions (better to ask than head down the wrong path)

- make many new friends whilst being a 501st Stormtrooper :smiley-sw013:

Best wishes

Dan

*to join the 501st we build our costumes to meet certain quality criteria. There are 3 levels; basic, Expert Infantry and Centurion. Centurion means that your armour is a close to screen accurate as possible. 

• Like 1

Welcome Chris!

Your on the right path by coming here and asking questions.  As I can see already above my post you have gotten a lot of information right of the bat.  We will help you and guide you to what you need.  I myself was in your shoes about a year ago, not sure which kit maker to go with, than I found here and a few other groups on facebook that helped me a lot.

We will get you in with the cool kids!