Helmet Teeth

8 hours ago, likemike973 said:

Hello, I just received my first kit and already started on the helmet. I ave a question about the teeth. I am looking to do a Level 3 Certification and was wondering do I remove the teeth area and add mesh or does the plastic stay in and I paint it black?

Thanks

Assuming you are going for ANH Stunt, here are some pics of screen used helmets that may help, Mike.  Always feel free to ask questions if you have any.. we are here to help!

mcOD6PR.jpg

Looking at the ref pic that Joseph provided, you can go either way - straight or more round and most helmets as you can see have a mix of both. Have you started a build thread? If not I suggest you do so and then you can receive all the help in one spot:salute:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, gabe said:

Question, what is the best way to cut out the teeth? 

I dremmel from the inside and then use a utility knife to finish it off.

Another way is to drill some holes and use files.

Or, a combination of the above :salute:

• Like 1

Exactly what Daniel has suggested. Most of the time I drill out holes in the front and then use a knife (carefully) and a file to clean them up. Best advise is just to Take your time.  Looks good so far.

A GREAT start there, sir!  As mentioned, squaring out those teeth would be more screen accurate and give you a better look.

XgraBeq.jpg

If you live near a Lowe's or Home Depot, I suggest getting a Needle File set for a few bucks: 

3r1biD9.jpg?1

Here's what worked for me.  As a couple folks already noted, a Dremel rotary tool with a sanding drum used from the inside of the helmet face removes waste plastic quickly and evenly.  From the inside, those teeth openings are like little domes from the vacuum-molding process.  The idea is that you use the sanding drum to simply level off the backs of those domes to create the teeth openings.

TK%209%20lo-res.jpg

Also, by doing the plastic removal from inside, you can see exactly how deeply set the teeth openings are, allowing you to better judge how much plastic to remove.  After removing most of the waste, you can sharpen the opening -- and remove any "flange" left over from the sanding -- with a razor knife.

TK%2010%20lo-res.jpg

And as JustJoseph noted above, those inexpensive detail files from Lowe's add the finishing touch to square off the corners.

TK%2011%20lo-res.jpg

Hope this helps, and good luck on your journey!

A.J.

• Like 4