Jenny's First Build - TK ANH Stunt (AP kit)

JenEcho

10 hours ago, JenEcho said:

Small update - spent a couple of very frustrating hours on Saturday trying to repair my poor melted and deformed forearm, but with no luck. Tried another water bath, low level heat gun and blocks to shape, and even busted out the iron, but while I could get the edges moderately back to normal there are still indents across the arms where the elastics dug in. The plastic has started to feel "weak" and it has lost its uniform thickness. RIP right forearm.  I've reached out to Mark about purchasing a replacement.

Did a bit more trimming to size the thighs, finished up the outer cover strips on the biceps. Definitely felt a bit unmotivated though. I'm looking forward to the 4 day weekend to spend some good chunks of time on it.

Thanks for your support and advice. It's always appreciated :)

Just a tip, not sure what you did with that forearm part, but don't chunk it. you may run into a situation where you need extra material (small parts) and don't have anything left. you might be able to use that forearm part for something, never know. But of course im the type that never throws anything away and end up with a ton of crap lol. but there has been times were I was like "man I need this (insert item)" and after 20 minutes in the garage found something I forgot I had. Keep up the hard work, and im sure part of that pep talk was about the right of passage as a TK to build your own armor. you will love it so much more when you finish. your blood, sweat, tears will be worked into that armor and you will wear it proudly!

• Like 3

Set backs are bound to happen. I had a huge issue with my thighs and had to use lots and lots of bondo to get things up to spec. Hang in there. You got a bunch of troopers behind you cheering you on. 

:jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

No pics, but I have been working hard on my build. Up next for this week - garters for thighs, second coat of paint, attach lens and mesh to helmet. Hoping to get some in person help to fit everything so I can start attaching snaps, etc. 

Questions:

1. Do you glue the brow trim and s-trim on the helmet?

2. Is it best to wait until the body parts are sized/assembled before assembling the belt?

• Like 2

1. Some glue, some don't. It's something you can decide on later on.

2. You should size the kidney-ab/cod before you decide on the belt length. Are you referring to the ABS belt to canvas belt?

Will shoot you a message to figure out when I can give you a hand!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JenEcho said:

1. Do you glue the brow trim and s-trim on the helmet?

2. Is it best to wait until the body parts are sized/assembled before assembling the belt?

1) I plan on glueing some parts of the trim on my helmet where it may be sticking out a bit more than I would like

2) I would at least get the Ab and kidney strapped together before sizing the belt.  You can tape these in place on your body and measure for the belt than but only after you have them sized pretty close to you.  That is what I did before I ordered my belt from Imperial Issue

• Like 1

Boo! I have a tear in the worst place - back top corner of my left shin. That's a spot that's definitely going to come under stress from putting on/taking off my shins. I've seen the post about fixing a tear with material and crazy glue. Do you guys think that will work in this place? It's definitely in a hard place to get at with the return edge and my newly attached sniper knee. 

eO1Ut5D.jpg 

Personally for any splits or tears I like to add some pieces of ABS behind and glue with E6000, with the E6000 it does have some give and does allow a little movement unlike a lot of other glues that will just split if you put any strain on them.

I would also in a corner add several layers of ABS, this will help to reinforce the fix.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Personally for any splits or tears I like to add some pieces of ABS behind and glue with E6000, with the E6000 it does have some give and does allow a little movement unlike a lot of other glues that will just split if you put any strain on them.

I would also in a corner add several layers of ABS, this will help to reinforce the fix.

Great idea with the extra ABS - I think if I shape a piece to fit under that return edge it will definitely help take the strain off the corner. Thanks :)

Another question - even though I've sanded my small button plate down to 20mm x 70mm, it still seems to be big and overhangs the space. Anyone who's built an AP kit, did you find you had to make it much smaller?

RULOAPn.jpg

9 minutes ago, ABS80 said:

Seperating the cod from AB plate is not movie accurate it should be one piece and doesn't improve any mobility if that was the main reason.

Mark (AP)

No it wasn't for mobility - it's cuz I'm 5'2". Definitely needed some modifications to make it hobbit-sized 

• Like 2

Just updated my to do list and I'm pretty stoked. I feel like the end is within my grasp! My goal right now is just to have everything done for May 4th so I can pick my kiddo up after school while wearing it (because I'm the most awesome mom that way and she's still young enough to not be completely embarrassed). Then I'll do all those final sizing/strapping tweaks and hopefully be approved to do an Autism walk in June. 

You'll notice that I haven't tackled the actual DRILLING INTO THE ARMOUR part yet. Anxiety rising...

HELMET
- paint ear screws white - add second coat
- secure s-trim
- cut and secure lenses 
- cut/size padding, wrap in fabric, attach with velcro

ARMS
- add strapping

BELT

- attach plastic ammo box part
- attach drop boxes
- attach holster
- snaps

THIGHS
- add ammo pack - use two rivets
- add snaps for garter belt

SHINS
- add fuzzy side of velcro strip

BODY
- final sanding 
- add male snaps to chest plate
- make female snap elastics
- 3 rivets on left kidney, 3 rivets on left ab
- 2 male snaps on butt - with functioning strapping
- 1 rivet on cod with strapping

SHOULDERS

- glue straps

- attach elastics, snaps, strapping

MISC
- order voice system
- figure out fans/batteries

• Like 1

UGH! Things were going sooo well today, until they weren't.

I did not pay close enough attention to Cricket's "cutting of the cod" step and now I'm left with an ab line/kidney notch that is off by 10mm. So, am I better to try line up the notch/bottom line and rebuild the top with scraps and paste? Or line up the top and  rebuild that bottom line? I'm so frustrated right now. 

b5WcjCf.jpg

WSUkBVc.jpg

Hey Jenny!  

Don't panic!  The tops should line up.  The bottoms don't have to.  They'll be covered by the belt and won't affect higher level awards.  :)  Keep calm and carry on, trooper!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Hey Jenny!  

Don't panic!  The tops should line up.  The bottoms don't have to.  They'll be covered by the belt and won't affect higher level awards.  :)  Keep calm and carry on, trooper!

So it's ok if the notch is weirdly notched like that top pic? I'm breathing a MASSIVE sigh of relief if that's the case. 

Yep, top pic is fine. Don't worry about lining up the bottoms. As long as the tops are lined up, you're good. 

More questions for you wonderful people! For the thigh ammo pack - how far in from the corner do you put the rivet? The spot I have marked is 1/2" from the edges. And my AP kit came with 9 split rivets. I'm assuming I use 2 of these for the ammo pack? (6 for the ab/kidney, 2 for the ammo, 1 for the cod?)

Speaking of rivets - these came out just fine! Going to slap a coat of paint on them tonight when I do the second coat on my helmet screws, which look a million times better now that I've had hubby countersink them.

vHvOgjM.jpg

7COM51p.jpg

I am stumped! What will make this silicone stick?? So far, I can tell you with absolute certainty that E6000 won't, Zap-a-Gap nope, this Bull Seal adhesive recommended by the guy at the store - no luck. Good thing is at least the dollar store near me stocks lots of black rubber gloves... 

ScrRgqh.jpg