WTF ANH STUNT TK Build Thread

StrmTRPR85

Drilled a hole in the back of the Hyperfirm E-11 for the D-ring

x8I96W4ybOonEJTvfypBKT3NyCpGxRgMG07rTIHi

Than inserted one side of the link in and then got the other side in and slide it back

ThUZ052yQqiuSjDFevGeJCtbuR3BWEYrSu-oxPww

There is a slight bend in the back due to the ring pushing this.  Is that an issue?  I would imagine we would want it as straight as possible.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just submited for EIB!

I did have on comment on the spacing on my right side ab and kidney.  I fixed this by adding additional glue to the elastic, shortening the stretch and making my belt tighter.  

• Like 3

A few things from EIB submission that I worked on.

The gap on my right side of my ab was a bit large and was the thing that I thought would get called out

Before:

oM7h9iZpaLoYZ1_aG6-zlasM-BOmm_MkpcqXu1rR

To bring the ab and kidney in tighter all I did was apply additional E6000 to the strap, shortening the distance it had to stretch.  Also I tightened the belt down.

KNVa1PplsIpVgYKXfmgKhKmwVaTz_08N1mw_XY3397R9vAFi5b3BT4vJ0paTbgpAL0jnP_zVIcOqE_41

Back of my shins (ooooh shins.....)

Bit of a gap at the top, was not an issue for basic, but could look better.

9UAwGOiGHKwbPsXE1D2IVRVOynzjuMLL4JFoooED

The fix to bring them in was to peel off my top elastic strap move it over about 1/4-1/2 inch and hit it with some E6000.

kuc8AJJpSBZ1XlvdyxBBLusrch0CDVUTO093G6_u

only a slight gap on the right leg.  I have to use needle nose pillars to fasten the top hook but much better.  Very tight!  I removed additional return edge on the top of the shins and will report back with the fit after I get my first troop done tonight!

2wfkGXHyAGWyW41ONwTBGDFw30mG8D_yUQHq1vh2

All packed up and excited!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Woohoo made it to EIB!

Below is what was specifically called out to correct before I submit for Centurion.

On 8/5/2018 at 6:34 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Hi, Jeff, and thank you for your EIB application and your patience. Let's get to it, brother!
CRL and EIB Application Requirements:
All the required submission photos have been posted, and your armour meets all the necessary requirements for level 2.  With that Tony and myself would like to welcome you to Expert Infantry.   Congratulations!  :salute: 

Other-Armor Fit/Assembly:
In this section we review observations made by your fellow troopers and ourselves. Some observations may lead to suggestions to improve the overall look of your armor. If any suggestion affects any application, it will be listed separately in the above or below sections

First, we seriously appreciate for all the updated photos/corrections so far... so I am basing this review on your original ones and the ones you resubmitted.  Not a ton of issues, but some items that could use your attention and get you ready for your next step, so let's get started!

The paint job on your left tear is a bit small.  It should fill in the indentation more, just as the one on your right does. 

Reference image

WHsy4JO.jpg?1   MPESErP.jpg?2  CfQXTQB.jpg

The square buttons on your ammo belt could be cleaned up by removing the excess E-6000 that seeped out.  (I had the same issue).  I suggest (carefully) using a razor knife on the edges and then a popsicle stick or your thumb to scrape it off.  Easy peasy.

Reference image

Y1uPq94.jpg    SMRTZTu.jpg?1

Your latex hand guards have turned yellow due to sun exposure (it happens).  In the films, they put a coat of white paint on them so that they would match the armor, which is my recommendation to give you a sharper appearance.

Reference image

GGDmZe2.jpg?1     HprRgRJ.jpg?1

Your left drop box strap is a bit too short and sits on the front of your ammo belt.  I noticed in almost all of your photos that it hangs up on your thigh armor causing it to tilt.  They should hang below with a minimal gap.  This should be an easy fix!

Reference image

YjPu5A4.jpg?1    qZM5eUb.jpg     lBycI2s.jpg?1

Not a deal breaker by any means, but if you want to you can remove more of the return edge from your back plate.

U9NaFCl.jpg?1

Centurion Suggestions:

Because Centurion photos show much more detail than EIB, items pertaining to Centurion might be seen there and not here. We try to point out all we can from what is seen but the final accuracy is the responsibility of the trooper.  We add these as a way to enhance the overall look of your armor and get you looking sharp(er)!

Not sure if you noticed, but your shoulder bells are on the wrong sides, and will need to be changed for level 3, (another easy fix). There is a "swoop" at the bottom of the outer ridge of each which should face forward.

Reference images

ohJaZtk.jpg?1  NZJQBxs.jpg?3C7t6irq.jpg?1

The paint on the teeth needs to be cleaned up on the edges.  A cotton swab and some NON ACETONE paint remover should take care of this easily.

CRL:  "Frown area is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area".

Adp6GF5.jpg?1 

Reference images 

GbMfO90.jpg?1

The gap on the right side is back in your last set of updated photos.  This will need to be eliminated for level 3, and could just be a matter of attaching some strapping on that side to hold it together.

CRL:  "Ideally there is no gap between the abdomen and kidney armor".

Reference image

hHscubl.jpg?1      XUdtzJA.jpg?2

I see that you put some glue on the straps in the rear of your drop boxes to keep them in place, but they still need to align with the outer edge of the ammo belt.  I had the same exact issue and I ended up just eliminating the loop and gluing the strap directly behind it. 

CRL:  Drop boxes are vertically aligned with the end of the ammo belt.."

Reference image

WVp7fra.jpg?1   lcXp20u.jpg?3

I see that there is a larger than normal gap between your shoulder bells and chest/back, that they should sit closer to the shoulder bridge, and that you may have trimmed too much off of the sides, but you have attempted to correct this by reshaping them and eliminating all the return edges.  It will not affect you at level 3, but I suggest looking into replacing them at some point.  (Don't forget the direction of the swoops)! :duim:

You have done a really nice job on this build, brother, and I applaud your pursuit of perfection.  Just a few more steps and then I expect to see your submission for Centurion! 

All in all not a whole lot or work needed.  I did post on WTFs Facebook page looking to see if anyone had some untrimmed shoulder bells they were looking to part with as I wanted to see if I can get the back gap closed up more.  Worse case I'll reach out and get some deeper bells from Walt but no rush at the moment for those.

I have started to fix the teeth and also extend the paint in the left tear.  Shoulder bells have been flipped and already planning on fixing the right ab gap.  Belt is an easy cut the straps and glue them in place to get the alignment correct.  Couple weeks and centurion submission incoming!

Edited by StrmTRPR85

Alright easy fixes incoming!  

needed to remove some extra paint that was on the top of the teeth.

To do this used some mineral spirits and a cotton swab. 

GYv5Wk_kfUsviVNDUAkRncJaqbcMfhHigQOKOFP7

Rubbed the cotton swab along the top of the teeth, than I took a small flat heat screwdriver and carefully scrapped away the excess paint.  Than I took another mineral spirit cotton swab and removed anything that scrapping did not get.

Before:

NEQhToU5zsTBHlEoIHPSK0Smaoc-XOF3lADFztdX

During:

5jF1kM9AAZz_6bHIWaI7NhrcvHioETdHCUHoSwuO

Final:

X1HfK4iHWyWnpY_sxVmLgiKfJF0PHTV1WQXxmkEs

Extending the paint on my left tear is another request before centurion submission.  

This was just a matter of painting over the black lines to extend the grey, allowing to dry and than repainting the black lines, and extending the "vents" to make the just a tad taller.

Before:

H_E-I20wMWgRrC-cVzEf-QlSFwtSePvzAFos8qvB

Extending the gray:

Uj7And8sMIGoU9lwqfqnFP1GYr47FgkMkY-kpcHx

Adding black lines:

SoITB1ifbOIIfLez11ClZGYwvXv7g8IulvIKnJo4

I need to touch up the black lines just a pinch.  This is an easy hit with a toothpick and clean up paint with a touch of gray.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TK 71627 said:

Is this what u used to clean ur teeth ?248fcdc742a2a20daabf036826a7beac.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what I used.  It definitly helped to soften the paint and make it easy to scrap off and than anything left over came off very easy with a cotton swab and mineral spirits.

One thing to note that mineral spirits CAN dissolve ABS it just works much much slower than acetone.

Thats what I used.  It definitly helped to soften the paint and make it easy to scrap off and than anything left over came off very easy with a cotton swab and mineral spirits.

One thing to note that mineral spirits CAN dissolve ABS it just works much much slower than acetone.

..... so is it even WORTH IT, to even use it ???
My TK is my pride and joy.... I don’t want to mess up the bucket...

1 hour ago, TK 71627 said:

emoji33.png..... so is it even WORTH IT, to even use it ???

Speaking for myself only, I've used mineral spirits on 100s of occasions, it's perfectly safe. Like everything else in life too much of anything can be a negative. Use sparingly, allow area to breath and dry. If rub too hard you may get a blemish, that's why there Novos #2 polish.

Finally and most importantly, as DOs we always state "The accuracy of your armor is ultimately up to you the wearer". 

• Like 1

Speaking for myself only, I've used mineral spirits on 100s of occasions, it's perfectly safe. Like everything else in life too much of anything can be a negative. Use sparingly, allow area to breath and dry. If rub too hard you may get a blemish, that's why there Novos #2 polish.

Finally and most importantly, as DOs we always state "The accuracy of your armor is ultimately up to you the wearer". 

I feel better already

1 hour ago, TK 71627 said:

emoji33.png..... so is it even WORTH IT, to even use it ???

Its just something I wanted to call out that it can damage it if you use too much and if you leave it on.  

Chemistry Major Incoming:

ABS is prone to being attacked by polar solvents (acetone)

From the web:

Acetone acts as a polar protic solvent that can generally solvate a wide variety of polymers. Both of these solvents can make a dilute ABS solution

meaning it dissolves your ABS

Mineral Spirts or Stoddard Solvent can do the same but is a poor protic solvent.  IF you let mineral spirts/Stoddard Solvent sit on ABS and left overnight you would see a blemish/scarring.

In the short it is safe to use to clean paint, just wipe clean with a wet rag when done to remove any excess.

If you want to know "will X dissolve Y" use the following site from Cole Parmer

https://www.coleparmer.com/chemical-resistance

Select your chemical you are using in section 1, than select your material section 2 and let the magic of the internet do the work for you.

Edited by StrmTRPR85
  • Like 2