Is Level 3 Certification too ambitious?

Hey guys!

Just ordered my BBB from AP and waiting for it to arrive. Also starting to collect all my supplies for my first build, super stoked!! I'm a bit of a perfectionist (as I'm sure a lot of you are) and want to go all out with a level three certification build. The thing is, I'm not even sure what the purpose of the different levels of certification are haha, I just know I want my suit to be top notch!

So here's my question: What's the purpose of fulfilling the requirements for the different levels of certification? And if I were to go that route, is a higher level certification too ambitious for a first build?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

level 2 and 3 are effectively how screen accurate your costume is, building to centurion from the beginning is very easy, and is what most people usually do, im sure you will have no problem achieving centurion Nate, with all the help and info you have here on the fisd, feel free to start a build thread and post many photos and questions once your BBB arrives!

• Like 1

No worries, plan to build straight for centurion, much more trouble to upgrade your armor later on if you plan to apply. The more you get into this trooper thing the more accurate you will want your armor to be. And it looks great when its built to centurion spec. As MrSnrub said, lots of help here from the community when you need it! Go for it! 

I built from the get go to L3 specs, never met another member or got to an amror party, did my research, followed some others builds and never had any problems.

Easier to do it from the beginning than to modify later, you'll get a kick out of knowing you have a really screen accurate kit to troop in :D

• Like 5

Congrats on your upcoming BBB day, Nate!  IMHO, Centurion is something everyone should strive for.  It really does make a difference in the appearance of your armor, and makes the Legion look better.  I  have a thread here which may help to explain things:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35371-eib-and-centurion-what-do-these-terms-mean/

You should also look at the various approved Centurion submission photos in the Advanced Tactics area.   http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/72-request-centurion-status/   These will help give you a better visual guide, as well as some of the common things that need attention.  If we can be of any help, just let us know!

• Like 1

Definitely not too ambitious. With planning before the build should not be any extra work really.

Note that Centurion only applies to the visible outer portion of the armor. Things like helmet padding and lining, armor strapping method (snaps, Velcro or brackets) and rigging (thigh garter or snap to armor) are completely up to you. If you're trying to replicate the suit as a movie prop, you'd go with the star foam pad in the helmet and brackets instead of snaps for the chest armor, but keep in mind they may not be the most convenient / comfortable / durable way to do things. Browse the forums, take a look at what other members use at troops and try any build you like. if you use e600 for strap assembly, you can always remove and reconfigure later without too much effort. My personal build primarily uses elastic straps glued to one piece and snapped to the other which allows full disassembly while cutting the number of snaps needed in half.

Good luck and have fun with the build.

• Like 1

I built from the get go to L3 specs, never met another member or got to an amror party, did my research, followed some others builds and never had any problems.

Easier to do it from the beginning than to modify later, you'll get a kick out of knowing you have a really screen accurate kit to troop in :D

Same. Plus, it gives you more to talk about when people ask about your kit because you know all the intimate details about the originals. 

• Like 1

I built mine with centurion being the end goal. Easiest way to achieve this is to plan for it from the start. Most tutorials are centurion ones, so find a popular thread and follow that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've built to level 3 with AP and as the others have said....if you do it from the get go you hardly notice the difference.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you're trying to replicate the suit as a movie prop, you'd go with the star foam pad in the helmet and brackets instead of snaps for the chest armor, but keep in mind they may not be the most convenient / comfortable / durable way to do things

i disagree the original strapping is very comfy, convenient and durable!  :)

Edited by MrSnrub

i disagree the original strapping is very comfy, convenient and durable! :)

I think what he means is not every make of armor have the durable return edge to support the brackets without damage.

As others have said, it's easy to build to Centurion from the start, and it's not too ambitious for your first build. Go for it! We are all here to help you succeed. :smiley-sw013:

Not trying to ruffle feathers regarding original strapping.

Small head, star padding allowed too much movement laterally, MICH pads allowed for adjustment.

Armor-wise, brackets would have made it difficult to pack the torso in a smaller box; I remove the chest and back to stack on top and fit in a 25 gal. Would be hesitant to install on the Anovos given the amount of cracking already, seriously considering running reinforcing strips around the entire inside perimeter of the chest, back, ab, kidney and butt plate. Love the Han hooks and permanent forearm to bicep straps though to keep everything lined up and tidy.

Nice thing is Centurion still allows for all options, whatever works best for each trooper (hoping to submit this weekend).

Edited by vettereddie
  • Like 1

I just bought an AP as well, I am going for Centurion. It's fairly straight forward and I feel like it's better to go for it right away...rather than making improvements later on. At least that is how I feel. I think it's the OCD speaking lol

• Like 1

I was a new builder and just got my centurion approval. When I started my only "experience" was cutting plastic with kitchen scissors but I still decided to aim for Centurion. My motto has always been to buy once and to do things the right way the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea i get waht u mean veter eddie for storages its not very convienient ,i had to take the foam star out of my helmet and chop it in half and trim it, as im quite tall, with the cracks it always helps to trim the return edge down a bit more, using whatever works best for yourself is always the way to go

Edited by MrSnrub