New Approach to FO Stormtrooper CRL

camprandall

Fully agree.

In fact, if I'd been asked, this would have been my suggestion, as I've already got a reference to draw off of.

The US Army uniform regulation does essentially the same thing that the CRL does. It lists all the parts of each uniform and how they are to be worn. At the end of the uniform's "parts list" it lists accessories that are commonly worn with that uniform and if necessary, how they are to be worn and provides reference pictures to support it.

As for the additional suggestion of adding accessories for higher level approvals, a la MEPD, I do not agree with that as the FISD's level 2 & 3 are not based on prop/screen replication. They are strictly increases in accuracy based on commonly seen on screen features.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd break it in to 2, as I think the new HWT will be different enough. That vest is not easy to do and you need the pack as well, plus pistol (if you use Jakku as the standard).

Otherwise you have:

1. Base trooper. Accessories: F-11D (sling or no sling), pistol, or combi of tonfa + shield, may have pauldron (but then no riot gear). Matching specific accessory sets for EI/Centurion.

2. HWT: base trooper + vest. Accessories: F-11D OR BFG, pistol, pack. No pauldron. Matching specific accessory sets for EI/Centurion.

• Like 1

Two CRLs will give rise to consistency problems and more "housekeeping". If anything changes on the base trooper, then the HWT has to be updated too. The only benefit I see is that the base trooper CRL is "cleaner".

Also, you missed that the riot gear trooper carried a blaster. The trooper drops blaster and shield before drawing the tonfa from the holster.  ;)

I'd break it in to 2, as I think the new HWT will be different enough. That vest is not easy to do and you need the pack as well, plus pistol (if you use Jakku as the standard).

Otherwise you have:

1. Base trooper. Accessories: F-11D (sling or no sling), pistol, or combi of tonfa + shield, may have pauldron (but then no riot gear). Matching specific accessory sets for EI/Centurion.

2. HWT: base trooper + vest. Accessories: F-11D OR BFG, pistol, pack. No pauldron. Matching specific accessory sets for EI/Centurion.

The trick there is that the HWT isn't the only trooper with a vest. If you don't carry weapons, it becomes difficult to say whether it's HWT or just the guy with the vest and rifle.

The trick there is that the HWT isn't the only trooper with a vest. If you don't carry weapons, it becomes difficult to say whether it's HWT or just the guy with the vest and rifle.

I can't recall that there was any trooper wearing a vest armed with something smaller than an F-11D with mounted stock (like Phasma's blaster). I'll pay attention to that when I re-watch the movie tonight.

The only reason why I recommended the way MEPD does it is because you have one base and then the higher levels, which would have to be a new version of Centurion or whatever you want to call it, is based on a particular on screen character. Like Clint said, there are a lot of variations with the vest alone. You'll see on MEPD that there are several version of just a white pauldron sergeant trooper alone for example. Interesting and exciting times ahead of us!

On 12/22/2015 at 12:14 AM, camprandall said:

Ok. Let's make two. A regular TFA TK and then a vest trooper. Let's call it the ferris Bueller trooper!

----------------

But listing all the optional accessories make sense to me.

People can mix and match and the ding dongs who don't let people troop because it's not in the CRL will be happy.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

Good idea, Camp.

But I have just one question; Why Facebook?? Why not bring the group here and share with us all. Especially since your group is considering our CRL when building their kits.

I'm down with one CRL with many optional accessories. 

-Eric

I like this idea a lot.

I also did see what looked like every trooper exiting at least one of the drop ships in the first scene on Jakku has the pistol holstered. 

There is something on their holsters... too small to be F-11D. Not a great shot to see detail, though. Good to see at least 4 different TKs!

--------------

That's the best I can do so far. :P The one scene i have found of drop-ship is with Kylo and his boys don't have pistols.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

One other question is designations. We've used TK in the past, but Finn's designation is different (I don't know how to do the fancy spoiler thing, but I'll assume most people know what I mean).
However, I do think that I heard a trooper referred to as "TK" later in the movie (on the planet that Maz Kanata's "cantina" was on). That's something I need to check to make sure about, but it could pose some interesting CRL issues.

One other question is designations. We've used TK in the past, but Finn's designation is different (I don't know how to do the fancy spoiler thing, but I'll assume most people know what I mean).

However, I do think that I heard a trooper referred to as "TK" later in the movie (on the planet that Maz Kanata's "cantina" was on). That's something I need to check to make sure about, but it could pose some interesting CRL issues.

Read here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33021-tfa-trooper-designation/

The answer is no. The TFA TK will remain... a TK not the other thing with two letters that aren't T and K. 

-Eric

Good idea, Camp.

But I have just one question; Why Facebook?? Why not bring the group here and share with us all. Especially since your group is considering our CRL when building their kits.

The Facebook group is just a popular communication channel for people to easily communicate and is often much easier than threads. There's not much on there that isn't here though. Many FO Tk build threads are here, the riot shield is on here as is my gunner cannon build thread, etc. FB is just usually where there's more instant communication I think. I use both personally, but some people aren't on FB and some people don't use the forums much.

But you're loosing insight into what's said, if it's true or not. Lots of gossiping on facebook. And it's not indexed by search engines, so in 2 years when someone needs to find what was said, it's impossible to find.

But you're loosing insight into what's said, if it's true or not. Lots of gossiping on facebook. And it's not indexed by search engines, so in 2 years when someone needs to find what was said, it's impossible to find.

If it's just gossip then who cares if it's lost?

I find the instant communication of FB to be much more personable and amenable to quick help. I love the archival properties of the forums, and the endurance of the truly helpful stuff.

I think they're just different means with different purposes. And attributing gossip to FB is much more about the person than the mode of communication. The junk that can go on on the 501st forums doesn't care what tech it uses. I honestly wish our forums weren't so full of bickering and fighting when you're trying to have real conversations or find info. There can be a benefit to the "fade away" element that something like FB brings to conversations. When real decisions are made or resources shared, it usually ends up here.

• Like 1

Gossip may very well get lost in time. That's not what I meant with search engine indexing. What I meant was that when actual conclusions are made, the should be easy to find. But perhaps even more important are the discussions leading up to them.

As the XO of a unit that has 45 CRLs, a good number of which have not seen updates since they were added (not for lack of trying), I support the notion of 1 CRL with available options, well written.   Fantastic idea.

As for indexing and updating, I try to Sticky and Lock concluded topics that have a good resolution, but don't need further input,  if people need to reference them in a later discussion we can either unlock them, or simply link to them for information.

I just returned from thecinema where I rewatched the movie and paid special attention to the TK variants:

I haven't noted any trooper with vest and pauldron and only one with a Backpack (see the screenshot posted in this thread. But other than that there seems to be every configuration in the movie.

What is fairly consistent: Most (not all) troopers wearing a vest have an F-11D with the extended stock. Most standard troopers carry the F-11D and no sidearm.

Notable examples:

There is at least one trooper with the tonfa seen briefly during the raid of the Jakku village. I haven't had the time to check if he also carries a shield and/or blaster.

There is a trooper without vest taking a heavy blaster (FWMB-10) from a weapon stand. He prepares to fire at the TIE fighter with Finn and Poe on board but gets blasted away before he can do so.

The trooper who takes Chewies Bowcaster after they are captures in the ruins of Maz place wears a vest but is only armed with a standard F-11D (without the extended stock)

The stormtrooper fighting Finn with the tonfa carries shield and F-11D, but drops both and then draws the tonfa from his holster when he notices Finn with the lightsaber.

Ok here are my notes from fourth viewing. 

In the drop ship scene at Tuanul (Jakku), it pans from ship one to two too quickly to see in one, but I watched closely and there are prominent empty holsters on the troopers coming from ship two that I must have mistaken for pistols last time. And to think it got me so excited to see them that it burned into my brain as seeing them!

The third drop ship shown opening, they may have had F-11s or pistols, not clear, it's a shot from the rear and they are moving away.

The two Troopers who take Poe have holstered weapons but I believe it is their F-11s since their hands are free.

Finn appears to be missing the belt pouch cover?

The trooper taking Poe off the drop ship has his F-11 holstered, and the trooper who retrieves him does also.

Rey's outfit is gray not beige.

A trooper who carries a bazooka like weapon to fire at the tethered TIE fighter appears to have a holstered pistol, it seemed too short and pistol-like to be a F-11.

We talk a lot about Finn's shoes turning charcoal but did anyone realize he is wearing flat front slacks under his bio-suit? The thermal shirt I can understand, but pants?

The two troopers who arrive at the town in search of bob and Finn... The one on the right has a snowie-like backpack, a F-11 rifle (butt stock) and a holstered pistol clear as day. The one on the left is a normal plain Jane TK.

Finn says "Dammit" which is not a Star Wars universe curse as far as I know.

Trooper JB-007, who frees Rey... My husband says he was not wearing gaskets, at least on his elbows. I'm not sure, I was too busy examining the fake clasp thingies and how fake all the greeblies on the armor look.

"TK-338, we have the targets in custody."

They blow up the Hosnian System not the Coruscant System.

Rey runs from the first base area to the oscillator with no jacket. When she and Finn enter the oscillator she has a jacket. Yet there was a lot of effort to close that loop with Han, throwing his jacket and then later Chewie picks it up before they go out again.

A trooper in the right side lineup when Ren passes ... His holster appears not to be flush.

White stormtroopers man the turrets firing on the X-wings.

That's pretty much it for any notes relevant here.

Luke has "ring around the collar" on his tunicky parts. And I think Rey is wearing Uggs. And 3PO is wearing Adidas shoes.