First ever armor!!!!!

hi everyone i'm really new, and i am expecting to get my first ever FX armor kit soon!!!!! what tools will i need to putting it together and where can i find good prices on accessories ie. underarmor, neck seal, gloves, etc????? thanks!!!!!

You'll need several tubes of Devcon plastic welder, white and black industrial velcro, lots of clamps, and patience. Also painters tape is great for test fitting and using as a guide if you need to make a cut. If you don't have a dremel you should really consider one, it'll save alot of headache.

The rest of the accessories are well discussed om the forum.

There are as many opinions on adhesive as there are troopers. I prefer ABS cement.

Clamps, lots of clamps.

You'll also need 1" black elastic strap to make straps with. Also, lots of snaps and a snap pliers.

You'll need a rivet gun sooner or later and some white aluminum rivets w/washers. At the least you'll probably rivet on the sniper plate and right thigh ammo belt. But trust us, you'll find more reasons to use it.

If you get a dremel do invest in a good cutting wheel (link around here somewhere).

As mentioned for the rest of the items...take a deep breath, get a cup of coffee, and prepare to spend several hours (days?) doing research on this site. There are literally thousands of posts made by members over the past few years, and it's not possible to soak up all that knowledge in a short period of time.

I've been lurking on the site for a few weeks now, but really started reading a lot of the posts this last week. I haven't recieved my armor yet, but I want to be ready when I do. It's a great resource (and some entertaining reading if you find this stuff fascinating).

I've already ordered some 'extra's myself;

custom buttons

custom hovi's with speakers

custom lenses (I always liked the emerald look)

I'm still looking around for a good canvas belt and some under armor wear (still not sure if Wyatt is starting up production again any time soon).

It has been a great community, and everyone has been wonderfully helpful. Be sure to get in touch with your local 501st as well. They were invaluable in getting me started on the right track. I'm looking forward to trooping with them once I get my kit and get it together, but I'm definitley not in a rush. Enjoying the process; even if I haven't done any real 'work' yet.

thanks for the opinions and info. however, i am totally clueless when it comes to tools and names....i know what a dremmel is, but as for as other things, let's keep it to lamen terms....lol!!!!! i really want to put together great armor, and it's actually TX armor, i've posted in the special ops forum but nothing yet.....thanks for all the info and PLEASE keep it coming!!!!!!

Actually everything posted is lamen terms. You can ask for it at most any Walmart, Jo-Ann, or Lowes and they will show you exactly what has been posted by name. But don't get industrial velcro at Jo-ann, it's way over priced.

Expect to spend a lot of time at Wal-Mart, your local hardware store, Jo-Ann Fabrics, local hobby shops, and of course Here!

There is a TON of great information on here. Spend some time, do some research and have fun with it.

Let me give you a gist of all the tools i have bought in the last week for this project:

Hot Glue Gun

Hot Glue

Devcon Plastic Welder

Dremel stylus

Dremel attachment kit

Rivet gun

White 1/8"x1/8" rivets

Rivet Washers

Light, Medium, & Heavy sandpaper sponges

tailor's tape measure

blue masking tape

4 each of small, med, & large clamps

roll of fiberglass screen

pack of thick air conditioner foam stripping

And for modding my hasbro blaster, I have:

Hammered Silver Rustoleum Plastic spray paint

Rustoleum Primer spray paint

Satin Black spray paint

Matte coat spray paint

Small can of Bondo

(hasbro mod kit is in the mail)

A few more things I need to pick up:

Egg timer (you only have a few minutes to work with the Devcon Welder, so the timer helps.)

Ind. Velcro (white especially, but you might want both white and black)

Crayons (for marking cuts and such)

Xacto knife (if I can't track mine down)

Thin weather stripping for where armor pieces hit other armor pieces to cut down on "clacking"

You're also going to need a drill bit. You can probably get away with using your dremel with the right attachment.

You might also want to consider jewelers files for the "teeth" on the helmet. I'm going to try to get away with just using my Dremel with the filing attachment on low.

If you want, I can take some pictures of what tools I have (I need to do that for the blog anyways). I probably wont be able to get to that until tomorrow night though.

I'm not sure why you need fiberglass screen? Also I'm not a fan of sanding sponges, because of the curves of the armor I prefer regular sandpaper. FX armor comes trimmed, so painters tap will double for marking the few cut lines you will need to make.

for the frown and vent holes when I cut them. It was DIRT cheap for the roll on clearance and its not rough like aluminum.

I know what your talking about. Yes you do need it, but I doubt it's made of fiberglass.

All I used for my FX armor when I got it was the stuff that came with the kit + masking tape and a power drill..... NO clamps....

If you used the velcro that came with the kit, you need to replace it with industrial velcro. The kit velcro is garbage (literally). Also it really improves the look to trim the thighs down, and improve the taper towards the bottom.

well, i know TK-409....he's a good friend and lives like 10 min. away from me, he goes to my church....lol!!!!! so i'm gonna see if he can hook me up, maybe some peeps from the carolina garrison too!!!!!! i'm in raleigh, so we'll see!!!!!!thanks everyone!!!! i'm hoping to get it in 2 weeks!!!!!!! so i want to have everything before hand!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting on my first kit and have never, ever done any form of costuming or anything relating to it. That and the fact that my native tongue ain't english, kinda make it hard to understand what all the stuff is. I probably know the Norwegian names for it though. Hehe.

Some pics of tools of the trade would help me out a lot, so I can start buying it.

(Yeah I know, I could ask my local garrison and get it in Norwegian, but it seems there's a bit more traffic on this forum and the replies come a bit faster).

Kudos for a great well of information though!! Love it.

For assembling, I prefer IPS Weld on ABS cement (for ABS of course)

Gotta have a Dremel

Tin or Aviator Snips

Utility Knife

Sand paper - 100, 150, 200 grit (400 if you are painting surfaces) and sanding blocks for straight edges

Tape both Duct and Painters

Rivet Gun

Drill/Screw Gun

Clamps - Spring, bar, "c", magnets and weights work well too

All six episodes of Star Wars on DVD to watch while assembling your armor

Heat gun or hair dryer

Extra ABS or Styrene

Button/Heavy Duty Snap Tool

Scissors

Velcros, elastic, and all the other expendables

Not debating, but do you really want to be breathing through fiberglass?

Breathing through woven fiberglass screen should be just fine. Its bound well enough that splinters won't be coming off.

If it were unbound mineral wool you were breathing through then you'd have a problem...

...I used to work for Johns Manville, kind of a fiberglass nerd.