Pyrates AP Build and Journey to The 501st

Interested to see how this turns out. I've never seen this done before. Were you not able to reshape that portion of your calves? 

I went with velcro over the original hooks because it's easier to put on and take off. The zipper setup looks like it would be even more difficult by the looks of it. 

Edited by Airborne Trooper
  • Like 1

Here's the theory behind the idea - granted this is much more sewing intensive but should hold them together and keep the gap to a minimum

e73e8ed2572b27ce441272aaaea0c8e6.jpg

Looks like you have a few more battle scars too bud. Don't take off a finger!

Funny story about that - I am happy to report that all the leaks I have sprung are all from work - my armor loves me and has not bit me yet

• Like 1

Interested to see how this turns out. I've never seen this done before. Were you not able to reshape that portion of your calves?

I went with velcro over the original hooks because it's easier to put on and take off. The zipper setup looks like it would be even more difficult by the looks of it.

To be honest mate I didn't try the tub and probably would have worked but I originally got the idea from our "desert combats - speed laces but didn't like the idea of laces and any extra rub on the calves - which migrated my idea to the wet suit draw tab idea.

You know me - "why not give it a try" and test'r'out

• Like 1

I'm worried if E6000 will be able to withstand the tension. :popcorn: Looking forward to seeing the end result and they turn out!

Great point (as always) and I took that into consideration when planning the design.

The other side of the zipper that connects to the other side of the shin (smaller side in my last pic) I left space in the area I threaded so the E-6000 can squeeze through.

If it holds anything like my snap plates do, this is going to work like a dream... hopefully.

I'm confident it's going to work but always prepared for gremlins.

More pics and explanation tonight after I get the rest of those ab buttons painted.

• Like 1

I'm hoping these pictures will help to see what's going on.

Already with inner and outer cover strips on the front of the shins the back of my shins want to close naturally so the only tension the zipper will have is to hold it flat to the other side for ease of zipping.

31af880e50d9f9bf72d334eca188d0d0.jpg

61faeb0ba9cf1bac82a10b5b1f44c13e.jpg

19bcae4d7b5d02e5229cd080ea2c98db.jpg

Post a video of you putting them on.

Shhchck "Uhhh what sir?" Shhchck

I was hoping to avoid learning how to post a video and never researched it but as you have asked for one I shall learn.

Any and all help is much appreciated on learning how to post videos - please and thanks!

Gonna need the little lady's help filming as I'm a soon to be TK and the force escapes me lol

• Like 1

Other side of the zipper now anchored.

cbd266b3863671dd27eabf4b55cf9730.jpg

I traced where the other zipper strip fell naturally using earth magnets to hold it in place.

Once I had the location marked I slapped glue on it and have it anchored into place making sure no glue makes it into the zipper teeth.

6c6bef1da779dc235d56942e3e4a14ca.jpg

c00a5d84196efefb4df446b52aff1437.jpg

• Like 1

After 24 hours I will add another bead of glue along the outside edge for more reinforcement - after 48 more hours I will try the first test run - so I'm looking at Thursday or Friday (crossing my fingers).

• Like 1

Just upload it to YouTube and post the link here. It will automatically embed it in your post ;)

Right then - I will look into YouTube

Cheers Jason!

Sorry if I missed this question being asked already.........so...... how do you get to the zipper handle? String?

One of those bungees I used to make my neck seal good sir15065052e0db7fa5efad85ce7ea7266d.jpg

08c8c499cda8c09086315290348a1845.jpg

I intend to add a Velcro tab where you see the knot (that hold the two loose ends in the first picture)so it can be affixed to the inside and not flopping around on the inside.

Edited by Pyrates