Pyrates AP Build and Journey to The 501st

Well, I guess you're never too old to get spoiled by your Mom. Because I'm headed to Cancun in a few weeks my mother decided to surprise me today with a small early 40th birthday shopping spree at Lee Valley.

Found a tool there that blew my mind when I seen it again and don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. (Stormtrooper hitting his head on the blast door again)

I'm so stoked to present 7" profile gauge that's going to speed up matching the contours of helmet to the ears. New Dremel as well and bits.

43E5AB46-51E2-41CC-9243-35755B39F88F_zps

Now granted I've already hand filed almost everything already but I still have one more hero ear to do.

Maybe even possibly get my basic application in sooner.

Cheers to TK Mom's

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

Your mom so totally rocks! Happy early 40th to you!!!<br><br>

I'm about to start on my hero ears. You've given me a good idea with that contour gauge!Gotta have one now (yay, Amazon!). Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 2

No wife - No wee man - house to myself... raising the flag and turning up the volume.

http://youtu.be/roqoA08QdbA

Better bring the Tassimo downstairs too

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

Awesome present! Shoulda come earlier, but at least have it on hand now. Hope all is well.<br><br>

Happy Early 40th too!

Cheers my friend - it's not until April 12th but I don't get much time to see her so she sprung it on me today. Stellar day - and getting better and louder with an empty house woo hoo.

Now back to building!

Oh and got belt fastener snaps done last night

BD506A76-6389-4436-AC39-EF51B07F5353_zps

I'm going to add some Velcro around the fastener snaps to help ensure the belt doesn't come loose.

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 2

And of course I forget Tony's smaller than me and fire a hole into my right thigh for the ammo belt and of course I check center of the pack and I'm way off - ahhh well break out the paste and prepare for more custom sizing and hoping it meets standard.

Let's take a look at those reference photos to see what I can close match and thank Vader I didn't cut down the ammo belt yet (wiping the brow).

• Like 1

I had to make adjustments to my position of the ammo pack my self. When I was following Tony's Anovos build and the knee ammo pack he had the edge about 1/4" from the end of that ones side. I actually took so much off the thigh that it changed how far back I had to drill the mounting hole :/ lol

• Like 1

Thanks mate! Yes I've been talking with Tony in regards to this as I've been uncertain of the look to be achieved. I am going to follow his words to the tee and just do exactly as guided - it just looked way off to me because I'm big.

Cheers again TK-21196! Really happy for you mate and can't wait to be on the front lines with you.

I just centered the center battery or magazine, whatever you want to call it. and marked where the end met at each side. Mine was not symmetrical. Your birthday is 4 days before mine except you got me by 10 years lol. Have fun on vacation! Hopefully when you get back you'll have your Hero bucket waiting so you can get your approval.

• Like 1

I have to go back through this and find the part where you were sizing your thighs. I'm trying to figure out the rear because my thighs are inches thicker around the top and inches smaller at the knees lol

I actually didn't put the sizing in my thread.

I was only able to shave off 1/8" on the front of the thighs cover strip area and took absolutely nothing off the the back - they fit snugly.

Since January I've dropped 28 lbs ( was 224 lbs) but it hasn't helped - On a good note though I haven't been this light since before the army over 15 years ago

• Like 3

It's looking like an inch or more space at the top and taking inch or more in on the bottom. That'll be fun lol. <br><br>

I'll stop hyjacking now lol

You're not hijacking mate - bigger trooper build talk is always welcome here and will hopefully help others.

• Like 1

Speaking of build - I was able to get my ammo pack on last night (unfortunately it was late so I didn't get any pics), some rivets in, my sniper plate is holding, and some other odds and sods.

Dave made a great comment last week about my return edge on the back of the forearms so I've decided to paste them back in where I can so that they don't bite into me but are still present.

12617A43-540D-47EB-A316-B9A6AF3DAC2D_zps

37E47017-A3BB-4A1B-82C7-E2812E259ADE_zps

8B0A12E7-2761-44D9-8AF8-F6B76D2B2447_zps

C600F164-6693-484E-87E2-31B2A7B769DC_zps

629B4B2D-C8BE-485D-A141-7C8DD0A3BFCF_zps

77D0A271-68D3-4358-844D-9751458F2C9E_zps

0B4FCE4A-87E1-49CF-804C-41B76B378C63_zps

5CD33CA4-C845-4A0B-B13F-DA2B1660962C_zps

• Like 2

I don't see that part of the forearm making a difference. That particular section of the forearm runs along the boney part of your arm. Bites and pinches are more common near the inner elbow/bend in your arm.

Thanks mate - you know me though by now lol I'm not going to go too crazy with it - just enough to make it look like there's a return edge again and it's only cause it's visible.

Heck my ATA forearms are so big in comparrison to my arms they flop all over the place haha

Shhchck - "Lucky little... uhhh - what's that there's a guy new guy named Matt a radar tech. I think I'm going to go welcome him by kicking his tools across the floor."! Shhchck

• Like 1