Yet another noob attempting to make a BlasTech E11

I've been inspired by all the threads with people making their own blasters and have started my own attempt

(I am also going to get a kit from Dday / PP once the wait list is open again)

I decided to make mine from Aluminium (or however the Americans spell it), and I'm using the templates from the 'best templates in the world ever' thread here

I've started with the magazine housing.

post-21576-0-42519700-1426993142_thumb.jpg

Attached the paper template to Al sheet, cut it out and shaped with hand tools.

post-21576-0-78699000-1426993144_thumb.jpg

Cut and shaped

post-21576-0-73755400-1426993317_thumb.jpg

Bent the Al in the vice - with some small encouragement via the "small persuader"  :crushcomputer:

post-21576-0-52572200-1426993420_thumb.jpg

post-21576-0-70069200-1426993422_thumb.jpg

post-21576-0-08354600-1426993425_thumb.jpg

Filled gaps with some 'magic Al solder' that actually seems to work really well - it turns harder than the Al itself....

• Like 2

attachicon.gifMagHousing-4-Bent.JPG

Bent the Al in the vice - with some small encouragement via the "small persuader"  :crushcomputer:

attachicon.gifMagHousing-5-RoughClean.JPG

attachicon.gifMagHousing-6-RoughClean.JPG

attachicon.gifMagHousing-7-RoughClean.JPG

Filled gaps with some 'magic Al solder' that actually seems to work really well - it turns harder than the Al itself....

Very cool! Following this one.

A very interesting start. :jc_doublethumbup: Definitely worth clicking the Follow-button!

May I ask how thick your aluminum sheets are? Will you use different thickness for individual parts?

Thanks all for the positive comments 

I dare say that you're a higher level than noob. I'm a noob. I just put together kits. I don't manufacture.

I'm definitely a noob - this is the first time I have done anything like this (well since I was very young)

I'm keen to put together a kit as well. I'm picking the kit will be my accurate blaster, and this will be, er, um a learning experience....

A very interesting start. :jc_doublethumbup: Definitely worth clicking the Follow-button!

May I ask how thick your aluminum sheets are? Will you use different thickness for individual parts?

I have a few different thicknesses of Al 1mm, 2mm, 3mm and 6mm (which is prolly 3/64, 5/64, 1/8 and 1/4 in parts of a toe? footlet??)

Small update...

I bought a new tool!! Looks a bit like a sewing machine, but is waaaay easier that trying to cut with a hacksaw :-) 

post-21576-0-42479400-1427055610_thumb.jpg

With that I started on the Trigger Group panel (I now have a rough cut out of one side...)

- but I think I have used all my photo upload allowance, so photo will have to wait until I find somewhere to host the pictures....

• Like 1

Very nice. I look forward to you making the grip plate. I have my aluminum sheet ready to try the template.

Thanks - can't wait to see how you do it. From my research I don't think the template is correct (i.e. it doesnt look folded from one piece to me) I think I will do 2x sides and 'magic Al weld' them to a thicker piece for the front.

But plenty of time for me to learn from someone that knows what they are doing!!!

It took me a couple tries to get it scaled right but the bracket does match the real sterling i have. Thats just the only part that was chopped in half during demilling.

The original wasn't folded. But the block in the front part is pretty seemless so folding isn't a bad idea to get the look right from the outside.

I'll post pictures of my sterling later if you like.

Pictures are always appreciated.

Mainly focused on the trigger group itself, how it hangs together and the shape of the bottom piece that the trigger goes through.

The other question I have is the holes in the receiver - the template from 'the best templates in the world ever' thread seems off to me - in that the offset holes do not seem to be evenly between the others above/below - is this correct?

Receiver-Query_zpszulixdf3.png

i.e a doesnt equal b (excuse bad MS Paint image)

is this a template error, my bad eyesight or true to real?

This is what my braket looks like for reference.

[pictures]

Awesome! Thanks for that

these puppies are worth their weight in gold.

Hmm, I've seen those but never thought of using them for bending! I might have to get a pair or two (never have too many tools, right??)

You can have to many tool but not to many vice grips. They are great for bending consecutive angels you could never achieve on a traditional brake. And way more precise angles than a hammer and the edge of a 2x4.

The other question I have is the holes in the receiver - the template from 'the best templates in the world ever' thread seems off to me - in that the offset holes do not seem to be evenly between the others above/below - is this correct?

Receiver-Query_zpszulixdf3.png

i.e a doesnt equal b (excuse bad MS Paint image)

is this a template error, my bad eyesight or true to real?

Nice work John.

Geez, I never even considered making aluminum parts...thanks A LOT for adding this to my project list... ;)

The template looks wrong.

When I made my PVC templates, I started with a template I found online and ended up having to correct the spacing on the entire grid...

When I was satisfied, I had literally re-drawn the whole template.  This delayed the whole project, but it was worth it in the end.

Nice work John.

Geez, I never even considered making aluminum parts...thanks A LOT for adding this to my project list... ;)

Thanks and no problem, you looked like you needed something to do  :laugh1:

I decided to re-create the front of the template anyway and have stuck that to my last / second piece of Al tube. (the first piece is now a, er, um, aaah, "a test piece???")

Receiver-01-NewTemplate_zpsqbn7ewzt.jpg

And also started on the Trigger Plate / Grip Bracket - I did decide to make this in 2 pieces as it will allow me to get both halves the same and give a little flexibility in the size of the gap (in case my trigger group ends up a little narrow or wide)

TriggerPlate-01-NearlyHalfwayCut_zpskeyy