Around the Detachment
Alan Flyng Interview
Troop of the Month
Tip of the Month

gallery_14191_42_1235.png

gallery_17995_60_17112.jpg

XOXO from the XO

Aloha Troopers, 

The staff and I would like to apologize for the lateness of this newsletter. We typically like to have it out more toward the beginning of the month. It seems that the end of summer here in the northern hemisphere is a busy time for everyone. 

Troop Reports?

As someone pointed out to me recently, and keeps pointing out, there seems to be a paucity of troop reports this summer. Web traffic to FISD is higher than ever. We are seeing a ton of great build threads popping up for every type of armor. It is trooping season troopers! I know you out there attending events. You should be sharing them for both those of us who are already approved (and enjoy seeing our forum buddies suited up) as the new TKs to get them stoked on trooping. Next month I intend to start tracking the number of troop reports with the hope that the numbers go up.

Stuff I Dig

As per my usual I use this space to highlight some of the things that pique my FISD interest. I have found the easiest way to figure that out is note which threads I'm subscribed to. Looking at my tapatalk notifications I see two that I am following.

The first is starsaber25's, now TK-10466, MTK build thread. I started following Steve's thread because he is also from Strong Island NY and also I wanted to learn more about MTK's product. As time went on I realized I was staying up to date because he documented his build really well. I also enjoy seeing the rest of the detachment totally engaged in someone else's build. Please join me in peer pressuring Steve into going EIB. 

med_gallery_14191_43_100460.jpg

Then there is Toddo, Seattle's resident costume addict, and his Death Trooper.. Right now he holds 6 Expert Infantry awards for his Stunt, Hero, ESB, ROTJ, Incinerator, and Skytrooper TKs. As of the writing of this newsletter he has submitted his DeathTrooper EIB application. Now that he is approved that makes 7 EIBs. I assume without looking that he holds the record with the most EIB awards. However I did not start following him because of his EIB problems, but for the build itself. Is it possible that he will be an EIB with the most diverse armor seeing as he used parts from RT-MOD, FX, CAP, ATA, CAP-W, and TM/C? I do not mean to be all "FISD crush" on Todd, but the guy is a talented costumer. He put together and weathered his DT expertly and quickly. He makes it look easy. 

med_gallery_14191_43_264180.png
I am also following Shel'la Tracinya's (how the heck do you pronounce that, if at all?) DT build because not only is he doing a great job, he's in my Garrison. 

Attending a Big Con

I wrote the Troop of the Month below highlighting the 20 TK (plus a handful of TDs) march through FanExpo in Toronto. This was my first major 501st event and the biggest con I have been to. I had a choice to go to FanExpo or Dragon Con this year. My initial goal was only to finally meet my former XO Ladyinwhite and troop with her somewhere fun. Then the Tantive IV Board Party fireteam started in with the peer pressure. Clamps and Pickles made a strong case for us to come up to Toronto and party with them. I admit to being American-centric and somewhat oblivious to the rest of the world. I had already purchased a flight and made arrangements by the time I decided to look at the FanExpo web site. Patrick Stewart? The poo? Elija Wood? Nathan Fillion? Stan Lee? I had no idea FanExpo attracted so many actual famous people. While I do not give a hoot about any of those people it dawned on me that I was going to a big con.

There were an aspect of being at an out of town con with a huge 501st presence that I did not expect. Every con I have been to I knew every Legion member in attendance. Walking to and from the changing room or around Fan Expo I would wave to or salute other members as if I was just walking around the Death Star. I felt oddly immersed in a Star Wars world when every time I turned around I saw another character. Those of you who have trooped with me know it is difficult for me to stay "in character" but in my mind's eye I was transported to a different world with hoards of TKs on patrol . The sensation was only fostered by having an R2 unit or two roll by now and then. While the sets the Canadian Garrison built were perfectly professional I still knew I was in a con booth the whole time. It was not until I started roaming did I feel like I was patrolling planet Canadia in the Kanuk system for rebels. 

If you have the means to get to Toronto next year you should. The Canadian Garrison are amazing hosts with an active membership. They are ridiculously social and put on a well organized smooth running event. Every Garrison and Outpost has something to learn from the way they do business. The $14k they raised for Make a Wish speaks for itself.

med_gallery_14191_43_80747.jpg

With Aloha and Unquestioned Loyalty,
Eric Brager
TK-9674 "Darth Aloha"
Executive Officer 

gallery_14191_42_21102.png 

gallery_14191_43_33785.jpg

Star Wars Helmets has recently reviewed the RS Prop Masters ESB Stormtrooper armour. RS Propmasters has been producing TK (both ANH and ESB) kits (and others) and assembled ones for a while now and is one of the FISD's vetted vendors. They have a Brian Muir edition for their amour authenticated by the sculptor and Vader and the Stormtrooper himself.

Check out the Star Wars Helmets detailed review here.

gallery_14191_43_64605.jpg
 - 501st Honorary Member Brian Muir and a Stormtrooper

Starwarshelmets.com is a great resource for both helmets and armours of Star Wars. They feature screen-used props and even review licensed kits and fan made ones. Star Wars Helmets is a must-go source for all TK fanatics out there and is a great base for both new and existing members to know and understand the history of TK armour. They don't only focus on the TK but give equal attention and detailed reviews to other characters like Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Tie Pilots, Scout, and much more.

Want to know the differences between ANH, ESB, ESB Mk2, and ROTJ TKs? Want to know just how many Vader helmets were used the Original Trilogy?
Go check out Starwarshelmets.com!!

With Unquestioned Loyalty,
Evan Loh
TK-24127 "evan_loh"
Deputy Public Relations Officer

gallery_14191_42_11135.png

Alan Flyng Interview

AlanFlyng_zps52a82b88.jpg

This September we have a veteran Stormtrooper with us for the Imperial Propaganda Machine Q&A. This trooper was part of Vader’s garrison stationed in Bespin and were put in charge of protecting the citizens of the mining gas colony and to apprehend the outlaws and smugglers known as Han Solo, Chewbacca, Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker, and two droids that our sandy brothers have failed to capture. We have reason to believe that he did very well in Cloud City (despite the Rebel scum getting away) and eventually got promoted to an Imperial Officer.
Meet Alan Flyng. Much like us has donned the Stormtrooper armour and can sympathise with us on how much protection Imperial issued plastoid can provide.

IPM: What kind of scenes did you do as a Stormtrooper?

A: I was principally engaged in the Carbonite Chamber scenes and a few unscripted corridor shots which George came up with for second unit in between set-ups. Being quite heavily set, I was used to ‘bulk out’ shots.

IPM: In the scene where Han Solo was frozen in carbonite, how difficult was it to manoeuvre around? We all have worn Stormtrooper helmets and wouldn’t find it hard to believe if you said that you could barely see a thing or move around without tripping.

A: It is indeed no exaggeration to say that! The lenses of the helmets were polished off by a Wardrobe guy, trying to be helpful to the camera crew. The camera operator complained he could see reflections of himself and the crew in our lenses and so they were duly taken off set and returned opaque due to the use of metal polish! The set itself was on top of an 18 foot tall gantry built of scaffolding poles. With limited access to the set, we were obliged to often use an extension ladder to get up there and that when wearing armour. Also, needing to use our hands, it was buckets on for the climb too. Boy, that stuff caught and scarred us!!! To round off the indignities, the steam venting from the floor beneath our feet was real pressurised steam and we were cooking in the armour!

AlanDragginSolototheCarbonFreezingChambe
Alan (on the right) dragging Han Solo into the carbon freezing chamber

IPM: I can imagine that it could get quite difficult to move properly in the armour without slipping or falling. Were there many takes in the scenes you were in especially the Han Solo carbonite freezing scene?

A: There were many set-ups due to the 360 degree nature of the set. So, for all the angles required, we were moved about to suit the camera, which is how one of us was edged a bit too far right and right off the gantry to the concrete floor below. Apart from his armour being shot to pieces on impact, he was generally unscathed and lived to shoot another day! There are quite a few mismatched shots, as we were all different sizes and reverses often found us in the wrong order, so to speak. But you have to be sharp-eyed to spot the mistakes! The days seemed very long in those outfits and I know Dave Prowse and Peter Mayhew suffered more than most! The stage doors were kept closed throughout to avoid the camera steaming up, as once it was up to the ambient high temperature, any cold air could seriously fog up the lenses and film cans! So, we had to like it or lump it, as we say in England! LOL

FettVaderandAlan_zpse9d991d1.jpg
Boba, Vader, and Alan!

IPM: As of today we have plenty of Stormtrooper armour makers to cater for different sizes. As there was only one size back then did you find it difficult to put it on and take it off and to walk around, or did they make any modifications to your costume to fit you better?

A: I had to fit the standard size or not work! I suffered cuts and pinches more than most and still bear some of the scars! They didn’t refer to me on Rebel Scum as ‘The Chunky One’ for nothing! But the stunt boys were just as big as me and we all learnt to live with it. As the armour constantly split and chipped, they used white camera tape to repair and hold it all together. It was only with the release of the HD editions that the public got to see in detail how botched the repairs truly were!!!

IPM: During the Battle of Endor in Return of the Jedi where you said your line as an Imperial Officer what was filming on set like? Were there many takes or was it a quick scene to do?

A: Before I stepped into the breach to do that line, there had been another actor trying to rattle it off staccato and failed! I was asked to fill in and when I was brought on set the atmosphere could be cut with a knife! It didn’t help that the other actor was ‘relaxing’ in his dressing room waiting for his costume to be pressed dry, as I was putting it on soaking wet! I got onto set - again in an outfit too small for my frame – and rattled it off in one take after having been marched all around the outside of the set screaming the line repeatedly to prove I would be able to do it!!! The previous incumbent of my uniform had wasted an entire shooting morning and not succeeded once in getting the line out cleanly - just making the uniform soaking wet with his sweat! Not the nicest thing to put on in those circumstances. Every seam was stretched to breaking point except the waistline, which was 6 inches too big! That’s why I never moved my arms – I didn’t dare, as I could hear the stitches popping!!! I was able to leave the studio by lunchtime with a healthy fat cheque in my hand.

AlanFlyng2_zps94c36752.jpg
"Sir, we’ve lost our bridge deflector shields!"

IPM: What other roles did you play in Star Wars besides the Stormtrooper and Officer?

A: I ‘guested’, along with other Stormtroopers, relaxed from the Carbonite Chamber, in the ice tunnels as a Snowtrooper, Rebel Technician evacuating the base and also in the hangar set heaving a dirty great box full of rubbish along with Richard Bonehill from one side of the set to the other dressed as a rebel fighter.

Q: While we make costumes as a hobby you made costumes for the film industry. Could you name a few of your favourite costumes you worked on?

A: Sam Neill’s coronation robes and all of Robert Downey Jr’s costumes for ‘Restoration’. I, and the rest of the costume department on Zeffirelli’s ‘Hamlet’, made every one of the costumes that appear in the film as we went along! We were even making Glen Close’s last frock on the last day for the last shot! That was bliss for me! I have been incredibly lucky in my costume career with the films I have worked on - mostly costume dramas, though I did get an extraordinary call to re-tailor all of Billy Connolly’s costumes for Garfield The Movie through the night after he arrived in the UK to shoot the following day. With the help of one local seamstress from York, I remade every suit he wore (including stunt doubles), including all his morning suits and tweeds. The buyer, in LA, had bought a variety of sizes and sent the lot. Billy needed every item sent and that took an awful lot of work!!! That was tough going, but I never let it get me down. The cameras turned over on time the next day and I even had time to alter the leading actor’s suit too, which was two sizes too large. I hope they sacked that buyer!!!

AlanFlyngandChristopherLee_zps34e3e29f.j
Alan fixing an SFX axe to the chest of Sir Christopher Lee on the first film he designed the costumes for: House Of The Long Shadows

IPM: What kind of materials did you work most with for costume design. And have you worked with thermo plastics/vacuum formed plastics (like the Stormtrooper armour)?

A: I love natural fibres and endeavour to use the right cloth for the right period, though I do take liberties with some man-made fibres when I need exceptional body or resistance to wet or break-down. I have worked with vac-formed armour on the dreaded ‘Covington Cross’ – an everyday tale of Bonanza in the 15th century for American TV. I also worked with some vac-forming when making for ‘Space Precinct’ and also ‘Space Vampires’.

IPM: How did you get into guest appearances and signings?

A: It came out of left field in 2009, when I was called out of the blue by someone who had noticed my picture on Wookieepedia, where I was called ‘The Unknown Imperial Officer’ on the Executor. He asked was it me and indeed it was! It all comes from that call! And, by the way, I am still the Unknown Imperial Officer, as I still have no character name or back story!!! Come on Disney – Fair Play!!!!

*Q&A Ends*

Thank you Alan for taking the time to answer our questions. We were glad to have a loyal subject of the Empire with us!

For more detailed info on Alan and his experiences in Star Wars and the costuming industry visit his site: http://alanflyng.weebly.com/

Evan Loh
TK-24127 "evan_loh"

gallery_14191_42_24507.png

Fan Expo Canada 10/28 - 10/31/14

gallery_14191_43_144358.jpg

This con is rumored to be the third largest in North America behind San Diego and Dragon Con. The folks in New York City may disagree about that factoid but there were at least 125,000 people in attendance. 

If you think your Garrison has a nice looking booth set up, you are wrong. The Canadian Garrison has shown us all how it is done.  The Fan Expo organizers gave the 501st the very center of the con floor just as everyone walks in. As you came in the main entrance up the escalators and turned around, all you saw was the 501st. The booth was 20'x50' with a Death Star control room, a Tantive IV door for Blast-a-Trooper, a huge Tantive IV hallway, a Death Star hallway, and a professional photo booth for fans to buy an 8x10 with their favorite character. All of this was conceived by a committee lead by a project manager starting in May of 2014. They build the set in record time given the complexity. For those of us who struggle to get members to donate for such things, please note that the project was funded internally with donations from the membership. To see photos of the booth please refer to Clamps' troop report

gallery_14191_43_41725.jpg
Can you spot your 6'5" XO?

gallery_14191_43_87051.jpg

Their set is not what makes this event the Troop of the Month. It was the abundance of TK action including a march of 20 shiny whites and a handful of dirty troopers. The word "march" is a bit of a misnomer because we stood on at least a dozen escalators going from one convention hall to the other. I vote to rename this con to Fan Escalator. 

We lined up at the booth in one direction, then the other, and marched down to the ground floor. From there we walked outside all the way around the convention center to the south building where we got into an elevator a few at a time. They packed me in with the sandies. It was gross. I think I got some dirt on me. Then we took the long journey to the other building where we posed in front of the Lucasfilm booth (which btw was not in the main building where the 501st was). The march continued up and down more endless escalators back to the booth. Some went back and de-kitted while some marched across the street to the restaurant where the 501st dinner was to be held. The owners let us run around for a few minutes harassing patrons. Here is a pro trooping tip: people get really mad when you walk away with their beer, even if you are a plastic spaceman. 

My thanks go out to the wranglers for this march. If you watch the video below you can see that there were a ton of non TK members there to ensure we go where we needed to go safely. I want to apologize to the one wrangler who I only slightly punched in the face when I jumped out of my row to photobomb someone. She was much shorter than I was and much closer than I expected. The con's security was notified before the march and they were very kind to stop traffic for us where needed. 

gallery_14191_43_26384.jpg
Lining up

gallery_14191_43_143846.jpg

gallery_14191_43_55398.jpg

gallery_14191_43_15764.jpg

gallery_14191_43_7613.jpg
Ladyinwhite, a Clamplet, Pickles, Clamps, and Darth Aloha

Besides me and Ingrid there were a few other famous folks hanging around. Albin Johnson was there for the weekend wrangling for us at times and generally being his gregarious self. Mary Franklin came to the big 501st dinner and hung out with us all night. Garrick Hagon, the actor who played Biggs Darklighter, was signing autographs in the 501st booth as well.

gallery_14191_43_1053.jpg
Albin and Mary at the 501st dinner

gallery_14191_43_13705.jpg
Pickles, Ladyinwhite, and Darth Aloha

To reiterate, if you can get to Toronto for this even you will not be sorry.

Eric Brager
TK-9674 "Darth Aloha"
Executive Officer 

gallery_14191_42_18856.png

Painting Boots White by Stormy1992

This may not the first time we mention painting chelsea boots white but a member recently came up with might be an excellent alternative to making dark leather shiny white. It seems worth mentioning given the lack of off the shelf white boots. 

Stormy1992 sprayed his boots white rather than brushing on leather dye.

Here is a summary of the progression. Check Stormy1992's thread for details:

med_gallery_14191_43_57499.jpg

med_gallery_14191_43_94714.jpg

med_gallery_14191_43_3627.jpg

med_gallery_14191_43_20302.jpg

Those boots look great. I look forward to hearing how well they hold up over time.

If you want to use a more proven method of making your boots white you may use leather dye as described in these threads listed by author:

Good luck with your boots!

Eric Brager
TK-9674 "Darth Aloha"
Executive Officer 

Don't Forget We're on Facebook and Twitter!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitearmor
If you're on FB, stop by and say hi, ask questions, and share stories!

Twitter: www.twitter.com/FISD501st or @FISD501st
follow FISD on Twitter!

Instagram: www.instagram.com/501stfisd

Evan Loh
TK-24127 "evan_loh"

On behalf of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Command Staff.

End Transmission.

• Like 2

Awesome! Thanks for the Canada love! It was a blast trooping at FanExpo. Imagine my surprise when I see the tallest TK ever (pretty sure Darth Aloha is 6 foot a million!) walk out and pose for photos with me - a 5'5" TK! (I have a photo showing our heights but can't post through my phone)

Needless to say being short paid off when I got to lead the march solely because I was the shortest!!! I was grinning ear to ear under that frowny white bucket.

Anyhow it was a blast and a pleasure meeting everyone in the Canadian Garrison and beyond. :)

Great newsletter, I'll be keeping my eyes out for the ones to come.

• Like 2

Super awesome newsletter guys.  Ha Eric that is a sweet pic of me next to the Montauk lighthouse.  The whole time I was building my MTK since that is Montauk's initials I was like I'm building my Montauk suit.  Now I hope you don't mind if I steal that photo!

I do plan on going EIB as soon as I get my DVH blaster put together.

I really enjoy these newsletters.  It puts things that are happening for members in the detachment and the 501st in one neatly put together article.  Stormy1992's boot thread is an excellent resource for the troopers that are interested in making their own boots.  He makes it look that easy and he came out with great results.

Great article with Alan Flyng and the expo it Canada looked great.

I could be wrong but this seems like the best part of the year for the men and women who get involved in this hobby.  People get out and do events and I'm sure many people get out for Halloween as well.

Is there anyway to figure out how many "guests" pop up on the website this time of the year especially because of Halloween?  Is there more of an influx?  Or does it stay the same throughout the year?  I feel like it would go up because of the exposure of the 501st during the fall.

• Like 1

Excellent work as always, team!!

Loved the Toronto info. Those booths/set pieces are amazing. Positively amazing. I can't get enough of them. I'm thinking I need to make that one of my "must troops" now at some point in time!

• Like 1

Excellent work as always, team!!

Loved the Toronto info. Those booths/set pieces are amazing. Positively amazing. I can't get enough of them. I'm thinking I need to make that one of my "must troops" now at some point in time!

Bring the car! Hehehehe

(Sad side note - I am having to give up on my 93 Mustang as it's getting too beat up to repair :/ )

Bring the car! Hehehehe

(Sad side note - I am having to give up on my 93 Mustang as it's getting too beat up to repair :/ )

noooooooooooo_zps96933347.jpg

If I were living back "home" I'd definitely bring the car, but that's a LONG drive from Texas. :(

• Like 1