Painting my black Chelsea boots white

I wiped the boots lightly with some paint thinner and a cloth, not much, just to take off some of the shoepolish (they had been buffed to a parade shine).

I am using a semi fine brush that fits right into the opening of the Angelus paint bottle.

This is the result after two thin layers.

post-19106-0-92398300-1376365993_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking good for the two layers. Did you try to put paint by sponge tapping? I'm preparing to do the same thing with my black chelsea boots when angelus paint arrived. Will follow this thread for your progress. Keep going!

Will you use the angelus finisher?

Looking good for the two layers. Did you try to put paint by sponge tapping? I'm preparing to do the same thing with my black chelsea boots when angelus paint arrived. Will follow this thread for your progress. Keep going!

Will you use the angelus finisher?

Thanx:-)

No I have only used the brush so far, but was recommended to use a sponge, maybe I will go for that, but actually, I think they look fine, I do not have acess to a sponge before friday, and I am really impatient;-)...

Have not thought about the finisher, but maybe I will, I don' t know how important it is to use it.....

Do angelus paint good for textile insert? Difficult to see on the photo. Or it need to paint by special textile paint?

So far I have used the Angels paint on the elastic band as well, but I think I will drive to the store today and buy some shoe,whitener, which is used to whiten textile shoes, and use that on the textile as well.

6 layers, and they still aren't a homogenous white, wondering if I am doing something wrong....

I apply one coat of paint in the morning, and one in the evening, thus letting the paint dry entirely..

post-19106-0-65363900-1376461683_thumb.jpg

Edited by SorenM

These look plenty white to me.... I'm not sure what you are wanting?

Hi Ron

I want them to have a homogenous white appearance. I know they look white on the photos, but up close they are different shades, but then again, if this looks fine enough to enlist, and further on (hopefully) join the ranks of EIB and Centurion..then I needn´t paint any more......;-)

6 layers, and they still aren't a homogenous white, wondering if I am doing something wrong....

I apply one coat of paint in the morning, and one in the evening, thus letting the paint dry entirely..

Yes, looks not fully white... like the black under white

I know that it is recommended to use aceton while prepairing the shoe leather. Looks like the white paint not penetrate to leather enough.

I used a little paint thinner, the paint will not penetrate the leather, but just cover it..I am sure I just need to put a couple more layers....:-)

Okay!

Tried out an advise, and used a sponge to dab the paint on......

For me it was definately not a succes ( I might be doing something wrong....what that might be I do not know).

The paint frothed/foamed/bubbled insanely, thus making hundreds of bubbles on the boots. I fixed it with my brush, and I will not do the sponge thing again.

Have given them the 7th coat now and I will add at least one other coat, maybe two, tomorrow.....they taking on a more homogenous colour...

How much angelus paint spent already?

After 8 layers just around half of the 118ml bottle.....I will do nine layers, and it will be fine...

Okay!

Tried out an advise, and used a sponge to dab the paint on......

For me it was definately not a succes ( I might be doing something wrong....what that might be I do not know).

The paint frothed/foamed/bubbled insanely, thus making hundreds of bubbles on the boots. I fixed it with my brush, and I will not do the sponge thing again.

Have given them the 7th coat now and I will add at least one other coat, maybe two, tomorrow.....they taking on a more homogenous colour...

If you press too hard on a spunge and let go it will make bubbles i think the way to go is have paint on a platter or something and just dipping the spounge and just dabb not pressing it onto the boot at all.

And maybe you where using an incorrect spounge? I would guess you want one that don't hold much liquid(like a kitchen spounge does)

Edited by Logon

If you press too hard on a spunge and let go it will make bubbles i think the way to go is have paint on a platter or something and just dipping the spounge and just dabb not pressing it onto the boot at all.

And maybe you where using an incorrect spounge? I would guess you want one that don't hold much liquid(like a kitchen spounge does)

You might be absolutely right, the bubbles come in very small numbers when I use the brush as well. I did put the paint on a plate, and tried not to press the sponge, but I couldn't manage to distribute the paint evenly, hence I reverted back to the brush.

Anywho, I've finished painting now and I am satisfied with the result.

I started removing the masking tape....BE VERY AWARE when doing that, the paint sticks to the tape, and it is pulled off the boot when the tape is removed...( which was actually highlighted in another painting thread, but old me was too impatient...)...

I need to touch up, and then find a razorblade and make a cut along the seam of the sole, in order to ensure that the paint is not lifted, when I remove the tape.......blasted!!!....

The finished result:

I am 95% satisfied. Removing the masking tape was an absolute nightmare, using a scalpel, to ensure that it would not remove the paint, when I pulled it off.

If I had to do it again (which I expect I will, two pairs of boots is always a good thing), I would paint it freehand, with first white and then the black on the soles....

What do you think?....

post-19106-0-67132000-1376633332_thumb.jpg

post-19106-0-13790600-1376633340_thumb.jpg

Awesome look!

9 layers?

Elastic insert painted another paint?

Spasiba Alexey :-).

Yes nine layers, and I just used the same paint all over, including the eleastic band.......