www.originalstormstrooper.com (hit or miss?)

I know they can't ship to USA due to legal battles with Lucas Arts, but if that (and money) would not be an issue, would you recommend buying an armor from www.originalstormtrooper.com? Considering that Andrew Ainsworth is the designer of the original costume, how much more screen accurate can it be?

No. Big miss.

AA was NOT the designer. It was Brian Muir.

Look around, there are many threads about AA.

RUN AWAY as FAST as you can!

His armor is a recast ROTJ (3rd generation) modified to look ANH.

Almost every words he says is a lie.

It ypou want screen accuracy, get RS or TM.

Edited by Sonnenschein

I agree with Karin. The general sentiment around here is to stay away from these guys. If you want high screen accuracy and you're the right size I would suggest either RS Props or TM. You'll get a quality product, a total lack of buyers remorse, better service, and better bang for your buck.

-Eric

• 11 months later...

To mention AA's accuracy, just look at his Imperial Navy Trooper helmets. They are horribly inaccurate. He based his from the prototype, not the final version we saw on screen. 

I advise you to give it a miss, I have personally helped a trooper or two with their Shepperton (SDS) armor from originalstormtrooper.com. For starters they cement the shoulder straps to the back plate and hence it floats free in the front, which is completely wrong and not approvable. Plastic quality is also not very impressive. I've seen more than one helmet warped almost exactly like the image attached. Not to mention the plastic belt, the plastic thermal det clip both of which are also not approvable. Personally I don't like the look of the pulls either, I feel the shape is off from what we want for ANH Stunt.

post-17904-0-85151300-1393855764_thumb.jpg

This video continues to say he was the original.  I am no expect by far, but alot of views about this armor and the information shared.  Thought I would share as I stumbled along this and it is pretty recent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6Ea1MS15F0g

Edited by TopCop28

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the link. Who can afford that? Is it really accurate?

Aside from the fact that you can't buy it if you live in the US, to answer your question; It's not accurate enough to warrant the price point.

That warped assembly for the SDS helmet seems to be intentional. It's in the Battle Spec I got a year ago, and it continues in more current ones I've seen.  When I first put on the helmet, my left eye had a close-up view of the green lens because it was right up against it.  I sent an email to SDS asking about the warpedness and whether I could adjust the helmet so that I might have use of both my eyes.  That email (minus the sarcasm) went unanswered.  And I agree - the shape for what is supposed to be "Stunt" isn't close.  I reassembled seeking eye relief and to find a way to elicit the Stunt look the helmet was supposedly was derived from, but that could only go so far.  If the mold isn't right, the shape won't be either.

From that experience fast forward to today - I recently finished building my first Stunt helmet from kit with lineage to a screen-used helmet from a vetted armorer - and am thrilled with the result.  For the OP I would suggest to tap into the stormtrooper of your soul there's no better way than to get hands-on and build your own helmet and/or armor from a kit.  You really get a sense and understanding for what goes into the construction of a *real* original stormtrooper.