Ralph McQuarrie's Concept Stormtrooper "Armor"

kwdesigns

Stephen Those pics are very inspirational. I wish I had more to report about the armor but I have been slammed with other responsibilities.

The good news is I got my Boots from Pete yesterday and they fit great!!! So I can soon start on the lower legs of the armor. I wanted the boots first to make sure the shins and caves will fit over the boots correctly.

I also got the Heather Gray Under-armor from Pete and it matches the grey elastic I found to use for the harnessing quite well.

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an up-date...

I'm pretty happy with the RMQ Chest... I'm working on the back now. I will finish the detail around the neck later.

photo-359_zps238aaa9a.jpg.e4a8e4de5117b251f2b7ea577b56f838.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Rock sold Kevin, and nice size ref examples .I can see you have already worked in the yoke into the chest.Very nice curves on this part with the classic little swoop out at the centre bottom of chest. great work mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Now got the Lazer Swords powder coated and and adding grebblies even bits from  original Graflex flash's   will be added ;), and of course weathering these baby's up so they look like they have seen some action :)

912871_480142648725243_1664553536_n_zps054e5e2a.jpg.4194bf3e7b0503581f1766a340d2ebff.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

I'd much rather see a faithful representation than a bastardized version made to accommodate larger troopers. Nobody expects a C3PO costume to fit such a large person. Why should this be any different?

Having this thread in the newsletter caused me to reread it in its entirety and this note caught my eye. Why should this or any other TK related costume be any different than C3PO? Because not accommodating the larger trooper runs totally counter to the inclusive nature and basic mission of FISD, that's why. I'm grateful that Kev offers two sizes of his clone armor and I hope he does so with his RMQ gear too. 

Apologies to KW for derailing this badass thread briefly. 

-Eric

As a first version it should focus on the slim men seen in the concept art. If Kev wants to further develop different sizes that's fine.

I'm sure that Kev made up his own mind on how many different versions he wants to make. But I am very keen on seeing a "true to concept" version first, and that is a slim version. Other versions could come later due time.

My thoughts exactly Mathius , that's what we are trying to achieve based on Ralphs concept drawings from the Armour , Shiled , Lazer Sword but also getting inspiration from the GG bust and figure ;)

Lets just wait and see the first set from Kevin which iam so sure is going to look awsome ;) and pay homage to the late Mr McQuarrie :)

And Eric thank you for putting this thread in the NL :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Here are some more pics of the GG Bust with the differant style of helmet , which i would love to see Kevin bring to life once the armour has been done ;)

EM9jSa9.jpg4cxFfNX.jpg 

And with the traditinal helmet :)

fz15xmr.jpgVWEaGYV.jpg

First Off. A big thanks to Eric for adding this RMQ build into the news letter. It was a real surprise for me to see it and very motivational.

I've been swamped with real life stuff. But thought I would post some pics of the back... I wanted to show where I plan on making the 'Yoke" stop in the back and what it will be shaped like.

Also in doing this piece I strongly feel the the raised rectangle will need to be vac-formed separately, Like the Kashyyyk troopers and attached to the back. it is just to tall and sharp angles to be able to get a good vac-form draw if left as one piece.

In fact the chest and back with have a total of (7) vac-formed parts just to put it together. 1) Main chest, 2) Front neck ring "to be cut from chest and glued onto the Yoke", 3) Yoke, 4) Main Back "keep the back half of neck ring attached", 5) Back Rectangle "glue on to main back", 6) left side connector & 7) right side connector.

More to show later...

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Outstanding Kevin it is so nice to see the chest a back together. The yoke is a stroke of genius mate ! The lads and myself are having a get together this evening and i know this project will be the topic of conversation.

Now that is impresive  Kevin , and capturing the detail with parts adding on to the chest and back brilliant  :duim: ,this has got to be my personal love of the whole of the costume cant wait to see it pulled  B)

Ohh yes you bet Pete  ;)