Ralph McQuarrie's Concept Stormtrooper "Armor"

kwdesigns

Just recived my Grey undersuit the one that Pete recomended it spot on coulor and nice and stretchy with a tint of shine :jc_doublethumbup: looks awsome up againts my white abs TK ;)

Today i have been doing some long hard thinking on the construction of the Concept McQ Lightsaber should look like , and then the penny dropped :0Lighten:

Ā 

Vintage hand held tourches or flash lights , plus this also pay's homage to Mr Lucas for using vintage camara flashes for the original lightsaber's B)

Ā 

Some pics below of some vintage tourches and flash lights and some of them really do have the shape there and come in a veritey of sizes to be a McQ concept Lightsaber with a little bit of modding and painted or powder coated white ;)

Ā 

il_fullxfull329867526_zps8a32e9c2.jpg.dbcd581da938805f5fd09c58c15a492b.jpgIMGP5160_zps32c224b9.jpg.154a1a21984ac1acb7c965566bb10651.jpg5434435525_d9f9f307f3_z_zpsd9f698c9.jpg.69ff7d2bedd59d822ffeb5844555c57d.jpgtwo-vintage-empire-made-plated-metal-torches-c1930s-50s-sold--8676-p_zps4b7c122c.jpg.b40e8deefa18d87c6c6d009c9856acef.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Hey Mark ,Nice saber ;) , i had one very much like yours a few years ago made by Saberforge but unfortantly i sold it :(

But i know many Sabersmith's have based this kind of concept stormtrooper lightsaber on the below image which is not McQ .

Ā 

TKSaberConcept_zps8f3992c5.jpg.dae949b3cd20c7a01958fd8fa563245a.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Other saber's based from the image

Ā 

prop_clonesaber_zpsecb2a68d.jpg.998a4b555e669b6a541849f530544e00.jpg125_24_zpsc8bf8659.jpg.146bb6758289664806401fa71e809273.jpgStar-Wars-custom-lightsabers-prop-weapons_zps81b47b30.jpg.c697231255f9d8fb59710c3d8be9b50e.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I was thinking on going this root but i want to do somthing that keep's more reprensation of the concept lazer Sword drawing's ;)

Ā 

Lets see what i can do with the vintage Touches /Flash light, IMHO they reprasent the shape more and mainly the emmitter end B)

Ā 

Ohh yes and Mark you wont have to make do ,if they turn out right i will make ya one ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

So these are the images I keep looking at to find the similarities when sculpting the parts.

Screenshot2013-02-02at94652PM_zps1425e1aa.thumb.png.220f2bc06ac1df44a7b654ae2d4e0b22.png

Ā 

Any thoughts on the different looking chest? Should there be a TK like version and a TD ?

Ā 

My thought is the TD could have the long rectangle shape in the center of the chest and the round thing over the upper right breast area and the TK without these things and be more plain.

Ā 

Kevin W.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Im not sure about the mechanics of this but what about add on parts to the basic TK version ? so the rectangle sits on the Tk chest the round detail i see as a water top up plug maybe for the cooling system in the suit ( blimy almost makes perfect sence) This could also be an add on part with measurements provided for placement on the chest if you wanted to go down the TD route.

Ā 

The recatangle if it were offered as a molded part could be part of the yoke which would help with less mold making?

Ā 

But the principe that there could be two versions with very little to add would be a nice idea.

Ā 

The only other part would be a back pack,but i also see these back packs on the TK versions as well .

Thanks Pete. I will think some more about the Chest...

Ā 

I worked on the Butt Plate.

I had a bad mold of my S4 Clone Butt that has been sitting outside for about a year.... and thought I might be able to use it.

photo-271_zpsaa39020d.thumb.jpg.9d70339ee0bd896d0cda30a671785da7.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

The belt will be 2 separate Vac-formed parts that wrap around and connect on the sides. The side connectors will be hidden by the various vac-formed boxes attached around the belt. The rear belt section would over lap the top of the Butt. It could connect to the top of the Butt Plate using bolts if decided to bolt on the Thermal Detonator.

Ā 

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

Got a shield made from ABS plastic, I looked at both the GG Bust shield and the McQ illustration to come up with the shape.

Ā 

8463155262_d388f84999_z.jpg

Ā 

8462058427_8eb577560c_z.jpg

Ā 

8462057269_58fd313b23_z.jpg

Ā 

It still needs paint and weathering ,the raised details are curved ,it has a nice weight and ballance.

Edited by stukatrooper

Wow it has been exactly 1 month to the date that this thread was started. We are at 140 post and a ton of progress has been made in this short amount of time.

Ā 

The shield looks great!!! Pete.

Ā 

Kevin W.

Thanks Joey.

It would be nice to see a group of these concept TK in the GGG also in due time. You know a few of us So Cal Guys are wanting to do a group of these troopers. But it looks like the UK guys going to CE will get them first. It was their idea to have this armor made and they contacted me to help.

Ā 

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

This is amazing!!!

Ā 

I remember when this was just an idea. Pete and Billy have been working and researching this for a good while along with a few of us in the UKG and now with you on board Kevin it is fast becoming a reality.

Ā 

Troopers helping troopers indeed.

Ā 

I think a 501st concept trooper is long over-due and I feel privileged to be around at the inception of what will be a dream come true.

I'm sure Ralph McQuarrie himself would approve!

Ā 

Keep up the good work guys!

I'm working on the forearms now. I'll gets some pick up soon of them.

Ā 

I plan to make the raised rectangles slightly off to the side of the forearms rather than directly on the backside of the arm.

When I look at the drawings, the long rail of rectangles can be seen even when looking at a front on view. So that must mean they or off to the side and towards the back. NOT like the GG bust.

The forearms I make will have a true left and right.

Ā 

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

awesome work kevin as i've looked at the drawing and the figure the the foot wear looks like shoes not boots on the figure you clearly see the grey undersuit going into the footwear and the footwear has no heel another idea is send the figure pics to crow62 his work is awesome and i bet he could make the footwear i'm 6ft 180lbs i'm not muscular but not uhhh padded lol i fit a sz 34 pants